Xmas Groceries- Who will your household use this year?

Options

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,321 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    DigSunPap said:
    I have always been M&S, but leaning heavily towards Asda this year to make a saving. Anybody, have any other good recommendations?
    Waitrose, but you do need to keep your eyes open, some things are comparable & reasonable prices others are just plain daft
    You do get a very wide variety of products & choices, far more so than M & S

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • DigSunPap
    Options
    Farway said:
    DigSunPap said:
    I have always been M&S, but leaning heavily towards Asda this year to make a saving. Anybody, have any other good recommendations?
    Waitrose, but you do need to keep your eyes open, some things are comparable & reasonable prices others are just plain daft
    You do get a very wide variety of products & choices, far more so than M & S

@f@Farway Thank you for the rec! Definitely going to consider Waitrose, I always presumed it is a lot more expensive but M&S isn't exactly cheap these days.
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've ordered the meat from Waitrose and the rest I will get between Co op and Iceland. I've also bought a Christmas pudding from Georgie Porgies 
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I rediscovered Co-op via Deliveroo @MysteryMe and compared to M&S Simply Food, much better quality and prices. I am stashing the Co-op gluten free petit pois and ham hock soup in the freezer for Boxing Day.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,960 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I rediscovered Co-op via Deliveroo @MysteryMe and compared to M&S Simply Food, much better quality and prices. I am stashing the Co-op gluten free petit pois and ham hock soup in the freezer for Boxing Day.
    Gluten free petit pois?? Aren’t all peas gluten free?
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    sarah1972 said:
    A lot of soups contain wheat. Heinz soups contain wheat more often than not. I guess chucking flour in a soup is cheaper than adding more veg. The Co-op gluten free petits pois and ham hock is nice and thick with visible fibre. 
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,960 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sarah1972 said:
    A lot of soups contain wheat. Heinz soups contain wheat more often than not. I guess chucking flour in a soup is cheaper than adding more veg. The Co-op gluten free petits pois and ham hock is nice and thick with visible fibre. 
    Ah soup! Sorry I read it as petit pois being one thing and then ham hock soup being another. I kept thinking how is a bag of frozen peas gluten free 🤣
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,321 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    sarah1972 said:
    sarah1972 said:
    Ah soup! Sorry I read it as petit pois being one thing and then ham hock soup being another. I kept thinking how is a bag of frozen peas gluten free 🤣
    Ah, it wasn't just me then :)

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • tastyhog
    tastyhog Posts: 847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 October 2023 at 1:10AM
    Options
    Sainsbury's probably, haven't had any problems or stock issues with them for a few years on a 22nd or 23rd date

Might book an extra slot for asda or morrisons too.

Saying that, a lot of what I have over Christmas is bought on the weeks leading up, it's just mostly meat, fresh bits and any forgotten bits with a Christmas delivery

Edit: just booked my sainsburys slots, £2 compared to asda wanting £6.50, so that'll do me
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I just buy bits in the weeks leading up to Christmas so that it only leaves fresh food to buy in Christmas week. Most will be from my usual Aldi and Sainsburys shops. 

There will only be 4 of us to cater for so I find it easily manageable. 

I hope the veg gets really cheap close to Christmas again as I generally batch cook swede and carrot mash for the freezer. Also hoping for some well priced gammon joints for freezing. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback