Xmas Groceries- Who will your household use this year?

Options

Comments

• Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    thara1996 said:
    Heya. 

I now buy cheese at a local farm shop in order to save me money. My next door neighbour lets me have baking powder, fruit and a entire roast turkey each Christmas. I think that she is quite nice. I tend to see if there are any discounts or advertised wine offers. I prefer to make up a tray of really cool festive biscuits and cakes at home instead. It is much cheaper that way for sure. Good luck. In terms of the family Christmas meal, here is what we have

Half a roast turkey 
    Santa biscuits
    Festive cupcakes
    Candy canes 
    Carrots
    Bread rolls 
    Fresh fruit 
    Mince pies 
    Yuletide cake 
    White wine

I am hoping to find games in the charity shops this year. Tomorrow I’m going to start looking at Christmas gifts and seasonal cards. We divide the food up. I want sweets too on the table. 

Understatement! What happens to the other half?

I have no plans to go mad this year, I've spent enough and am trying to cut back on UPFs. Am contemplating making Christmas cake this year after a bit of a break, will probably make chocolates to gift and go to Aldi for veg on Christmas week. 

@Mnoee - if your fudge is well-received, please share the recipe? 
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 822 Forumite
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    Options

@Mnoee - if your fudge is well-received, please share the recipe? 
    I just do a basic recipe made with condensed milk - https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/vanilla-fudge

I do play around with flavourings though - one year I did a Christmas spice blend with orange essence, I've done salted caramel (don't add decorative salt after cooking if you're storing it, it sweats!), this year I'm going for a neopolitan ice-cream inspired trio of chocolate, strawberry and vanilla. Nothing fancy with layers, I just make three batches each year so figured I'd do different flavours. 

I'm far more confident with savoury than sweet cooking, so I keep it pretty simple. 
  • PRDMKT
    PRDMKT Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    pumpkin89 said:
    PRDMKT said:
    Does anyone know when Waitrose will open up there slots? I have seen some people claiming they've already booked, but I can't see anything when I look.
    They were opened last Monday (25 Sep) for "early access" customers (I guess those who spend most on waitrose.com through the year?)
    They will be opened up for all customers tomorrow, Wednesday 4 Oct.
    Got my slot booked, thanks for the heads up :) 
  • tujeste
    tujeste Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We go to my (90 yo) house bound MILs - have been doing so years since my folks died. None of us are great turkey lovers so it tends to be a very good piece of beef for Xmas day. Xmas eve is now always some sort of Tapas mix - I vary the options and I think we all enjoy this as much if not more than the Xmas day extravaganza. I introduced MIL to my family tradition of cold meats and bubble and squeak on Boxing Day - my folks ran a petrol station and we opened on Boxing Day and were always busy, so not having to fuss about cooking was great..
    Beef and some of the cold meats come from a local butcher, and I might have to go to a local deli for bits for the tapas, but the rest is all Aldi or Lidl. Introduced MIL to stollen from Aldi a few years back and its always the first thing she asks when we get there.... you havent forgotten the Stollen , have you!
  • suelizab
    suelizab Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I mostly use Aldi now for all shopping. 
    old enough for my bones to feel the cold .
  • Appliance_engineer
    Options
    Where's Aldi?
  • PRDMKT
    PRDMKT Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Where's Aldi?
    It was an oversight on my part. I have reported it to the mods, but they don't seem to be able to help.
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Just done an order with Watts Farms and snapped up a couple of pheasants from the Duke of Abergavenny's estate in Eridge, 7.75 each. They will get roasted for Christmas lunch. Got pickled eggs from a farm shop locally for Boxing Day but not bought joints to roast for sliced cold meat yet. Iceland has whole legs of New Zealand lamb for £20 but would like to find local hogget. 
  • DigSunPap
    DigSunPap Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have always been M&S, but leaning heavily towards Asda this year to make a saving. Anybody, have any other good recommendations?
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ordered some gluten free slicing haggis from Macbeths as part of Christmas/Boxing Day breakfast. So far then, food is coming from farms. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback