Stated prices always not available - which body, if any, deals with this?

mjm3346
mjm3346 Posts: 46,851
First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
Forumite
edited 1 October 2023 at 6:32PM in Consumer rights
eg Item 76 p with free delivery - then turns out to be a minimum order quantity of 2 with an absurd  delivery charge of £19.99.  As it is impossible to order the 1 item with the advertised free delivery I feel this must be breaking some advertising law - Clickbait pricing from Amazon

different item same sort of thing

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Walkers-Cheese-Onion-Multipack-Crisps/dp/B015WF8I5Q/?th=1

Comments

• twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,299
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Used to be a regular customer of Amazon, my site of choice for ease or use.
    Now I never do. I look to purchase 'delivery free' and get to the end and it's a hefty delivery charge.
    They seem to have recently blocked online email on the Kindle unless you sign in to Amazon claiming not https when the site your request is. Posted on the Tech forum requesting help about it.
    So I'm not surprised by your finding.
    They'll have some phrase somewhere in the T&Cs that absolves them.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,811
    Forumite
    mjm3346 said:
    eg Item 76 p with free delivery - then turns out to be a minimum order quantity of 2 with an absurd  delivery charge of £19.99.  As it is impossible to order the 1 item with the advertised free delivery I feel this must be breaking some advertising law - Clickbait pricing from Amazon

different item same sort of thing

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Walkers-Cheese-Onion-Multipack-Crisps/dp/B015WF8I5Q/?th=1
    Are you unhappy about minimum order quantities or exaggerated and hidden delivery charges?

Not sure that there's any issue with the first, but for the second, I'd agree that it clearly specifies free delivery in the quoted link, for some of the vendors, does that become £19.99 at checkout stage, for any quantity?
  • SiliconChip
    SiliconChip Posts: 1,266
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Seems pretty clear to me, it says free delivery on orders over £60. What is more concerning is that under Safety Information it refers to taking Berocca!
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 4,880
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Seems pretty clear to me, it says free delivery on orders over £60. What is more concerning is that under Safety Information it refers to taking Berocca!

I couldn't see the reference to £60 on my desktop screen - but that does seem quite a scam, in that it does show 'free delivery' and then adds a P&P charge. To be fair - I can't see how they'd make a profit selling at 76p with free delivery - so that's hard enough to believe in the first place, but £20 for p&p is definitely over the top, unless they're being delivered by Bentley.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,279
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I wonder if we're all getting slightly different options when we click that link, as I'm getting the Co-op (which does clearly say that you need a £40 spend before you get free delivery).

Though I know some third party sellers do take the pee with rather misleading delivery rates.

In the first instance I would suggest complaining to Amazon, as I expect the sellers aren't meant to be doing that.

But in the real world, is anybody really thinking that a single 76p item is going to come with free delivery?
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 4,880
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

I get 'One click for you ltd' as the supplier when I click the link - so wonder whether it randomly assigns a supplier - or as mentioned does by geographical location.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • The link goes to Amazon Fresh. Amazon fresh has free delivery over £60, and is distinct from Amazon Prime. There is no admin or P&P over that charge, so unsure where others have found that. I’ve literally completed the transaction to the point of payment. 

As for minimum order requirements - I’m not sure if they are legal, but the 76p for a 6 bag of Walkers (not what that was linked to clarify, but was what you stated) seems too good to be true. Doesn’t surprise me that they charge more on shipping. 
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,380
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

I get 'One click for you ltd' as the supplier when I click the link - so wonder whether it randomly assigns a supplier - or as mentioned does by geographical location.
    I get exactly that screen and the same supplier.
    I don't believe we are local to each other, though that supplier may have several geographies in their patch.
    When I select quantity, the only option is "2 (Minimum Order Quantity" at which point the delivery cost jumps to £19.99

• I get 'One click for you ltd' as the supplier when I click the link - so wonder whether it randomly assigns a supplier - or as mentioned does by geographical location.
    I get exactly that screen and the same supplier.
    I don't believe we are local to each other, though that supplier may have several geographies in their patch.
    When I select quantity, the only option is "2 (Minimum Order Quantity" at which point the delivery cost jumps to £19.99
    Interesting - mine just directs me to Fresh. How strange. 
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,851
    Forumite

That's it exactly - free delivery for 1 which you cannot order, then £19.99 when the minimum order quantity of 2 is selected (It's also an "Amazon's choice" so surely they must be considered responsible even if it's a third party supplier) 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback