After some advice re my parent

13»

Comments

• tooldle
    tooldle Posts: 1,520 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 7 October 2023 at 5:56PM
    Definitely not too young. My mum was in a care home by 76 due to vascular dementia (diagnosed at 72/73).
    earlier indications  for mum came when she was outside of what was routine and familiar to her. When visiting me and GD, struggling to grasp a simple card game. Losing bus and train tickets, having to repurchase for the homeward journey. Forgetting what food she’d ordered in a restaurant and eventually circular conversations. Another early sign from mum was food in the bin. She’d cook potatoes for example and then not be able to recall why, and would throw them in the bin. The timing would often be off, by that I mean cooking an evening meal at 3pm. 
  • Sapindus
    Sapindus Posts: 387 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi
    My mum has been having similar problems and getting confused over the days of the week.  I recently bought her a dementia clock. (Although was careful not to tell her it was a dementia clock.  Told her I saw it and thought it was the type of clock used in offices and schools and that she may find it useful!)  It was simple to set up  and clearly displays the date, the day, the time, also if it is morning, afternoon or evening.   She thinks it's great and it has saved a few mix ups.  Just thought I would mention it as it may be something that would help. 
    There's all sorts of things and techniques that are designed to help people with dementia that are just a really good idea whether or not you've got dementia.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback