After some advice re my parent

Not sure why Im posting, I guess Im after some advice, who I can contact about it or if anything I can do.

Lately my mum seems to be getting days of the week mixed up, dont know why, its only been say last month for example I texted her yesterday to say id be home on Monday and we could have so and so for tea, she replied back with "ok see you tomorrow", the other instances have been similar to this. Anyone else experienced this ? She's been for an Alzheimer's test and that was all ok.

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,765
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    I guess days seem to merge if you don't have anything that distinguishes them from each other.

Working people would be aware that Monday is the first day back to work after the weekend. If you don't work and don't have special weekend activities there is less to distinguish each day. Tuesday's often feel like Mondays after a bank holiday.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,595
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    silvercar said:
    I guess days seem to merge if you don't have anything that distinguishes them from each other.

Working people would be aware that Monday is the first day back to work after the weekend. If you don't work and don't have special weekend activities there is less to distinguish each day. Tuesday's often feel like Mondays after a bank holiday.
    She doesn't work anymore so it makes sense, a craft class, exercise class. She stopped working years ago and was fine until say the last month. Anything I can do ?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,297
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 1 October 2023 at 9:05AM
    84 year old parent’s memory is going a little - it’s not dementia in her case, it’s a normal part of the aging process and she can be the same with days of the week
    So I will tell her something about an arrangement and if she doesn’t write it down then it’s gone. Parent is aware of this so take steps to work around it. 
    I also think that if one day is very similar to another it is quite hard to keep track of which is which. 
    If she starts to get more confused about other things, then there is the possibility of an infection which could be investigated. 
    Have you talked to your mum about it and what does she think?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,213
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Probably just age related forgetfulness, but the one thing she should do if not done already is put lasting powers of attorney in place in case she ever does lose her mental capacity.
  • J63320
    J63320 Posts: 116
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I read in an article recently - probably in The Guardian but sorry I can’t find it now - that the simple memory tests that GPs do are often not very good at detecting early signs of dementia. IIRC, the point being made was that GPs should listen to family members who are noticing gradual changes. Do try to get your Mum referred for further tests. There’s nothing to lose if she’s fine, but if she is starting with dementia there are now drugs that can delay the effects, and the earlier she starts taking them the more effective they will be.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 8,907
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    A simple urine infection can cause memory lapses, amongst other things.  Can you get her checked out for this?
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,390
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I often have to check what day it is, as do most of my friends. If I wasn't in school, I'd wonder. 

Any other symptoms?  
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,544
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'm at home all the time.  I have a calendar in the kitchen - where it's very visible - and I cross off the day before going to bed so I know what the day/date is the next morning.  When you don't have a routine to set the days by, it's easy to start free-wheeling.
    Unless you spot other symptoms, I wouldn't worry at the moment.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,802
    Forumite
    A simple urine infection can cause memory lapses, amongst other things.  Can you get her checked out for this?

I was going to suggest this be considered. My MIL has UTIs occasionally, and a dodgy memory is certainly a symptom of this in her case.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 31/1/24 £100.32, Chase Interest £6.38, Chase roundup interest £0.07, Chase CB £5.01, Roadkill £1.08, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30
    Total £169.16/£2024  8.35%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,595
    Forumite
    edited 1 October 2023 at 8:42PM
    elsien said:
    84 year old parent’s memory is going a little - it’s not dementia in her case, it’s a normal part of the aging process and she can be the same with days of the week
    So I will tell her something about an arrangement and if she doesn’t write it down then it’s gone. Parent is aware of this so take steps to work around it. 
    I also think that if one day is very similar to another it is quite hard to keep track of which is which. 
    If she starts to get more confused about other things, then there is the possibility of an infection which could be investigated. 
    Have you talked to your mum about it and what does she think?
    Haven't had the chance to, I dont live far but its half hour drive away. I will discuss it with her.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback