After some advice re my parent

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 October 2023 at 9:41PM
    Probably just age related forgetfulness, but the one thing she should do if not done already is put lasting powers of attorney in place in case she ever does lose her mental capacity.
    Thanks, I wasn't expecting it to happen when she's only 71.

It had crossed my mind to do lasting power of attorney .
  • DCFC79
    edited 1 October 2023 at 9:00PM
    J63320 said:
    I read in an article recently - probably in The Guardian but sorry I can’t find it now - that the simple memory tests that GPs do are often not very good at detecting early signs of dementia. IIRC, the point being made was that GPs should listen to family members who are noticing gradual changes. Do try to get your Mum referred for further tests. There’s nothing to lose if she’s fine, but if she is starting with dementia there are now drugs that can delay the effects, and the earlier she starts taking them the more effective they will be.
    Thanks, where or who should I contact about these tests ?
  • DCFC79
    edited 1 October 2023 at 9:44PM
    I often have to check what day it is, as do most of my friends. If I wasn't in school, I'd wonder. 

Any other symptoms?  
    No nothing yet, its just the days, now you mention it she did start to call the dog we took on by my brother's name, the dog was previously my brothers so thats the connection.

Other than that shes fine, she knows the name other people, she remembers how to drive albeit maybe less confidence. She remembers names of people she knows

She was 71 earlier this year. 
  • DCFC79
    Probably just age related forgetfulness, but the one thing she should do if not done already is put lasting powers of attorney in place in case she ever does lose her mental capacity.
    I understand as one gets older you do forget things, wasnt expecting it to happen when she's only 71.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    DCFC79 said:
    No nothing yet, its just the days, now you mention it she did start to call the dog we took on my brother's name, the dog was previously my brothers so thats the connection.

Other than that shes fine, she knows the name other people, she remembers how to drive albeit maybe less confidence. She remembers names of people she knows
    I think it's important to recognise the difference between things you notice now and how she was previously because we're all different.
    My Mum used to run through most of the grandchildren's and pets' names before she landed on the right one but she was always like that so it wouldn't have been a symptom of any deterioration.  If your Mum has always been spot on with names, it's something to watch.
    Definitely check about an infection and also whether she has been started on any new medication from the GP - some tablets have confusion as a side-effect.
  • DCFC79
    A simple urine infection can cause memory lapses, amongst other things.  Can you get her checked out for this?
    Ill mention it, thanks.
  • DCFC79
    edited 2 October 2023 at 9:02AM
    Mojisola said:
    DCFC79 said:
    No nothing yet, its just the days, now you mention it she did start to call the dog we took on my brother's name, the dog was previously my brothers so thats the connection.

I think it's important to recognise the difference between things you notice now and how she was previously because we're all different.
    My Mum used to run through most of the grandchildren's and pets' names before she landed on the right one but she was always like that so it wouldn't have been a symptom of any deterioration.  If your Mum has always been spot on with names, it's something to watch.
    Definitely check about an infection and also whether she has been started on any new medication from the GP - some tablets have confusion as a side-effect.
    She has been on some meds, wasnt sure if this has been the cause, I did mention it, she's got a review soon. At 71 I wasnt expecting it, at maybe 81 or older yes, I'll definitely look into everything mentioned here.

Thanks so much, I'll update when I can with any news.

Have checked and the medication shes been prescribed don't have confusion as a side effect, I will get her to mention it at this review though, its odd how its only recently started and shes recently started taking the medication.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,608 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The actor Bruce Willis has been diagnosed with dementia at the age of 68, so 71 is not too young to be showing symptoms
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,013 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    From the day I met my MIL she regularly called my partner by his older brother’s. Mentally she was sharp as a tack
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback