My ASHP Journey in Bonnie Scotland.

123457»

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Reed_Richards said: Oil boilers don't modulate.  They are either full on or off.  Gas boilers can typically modulate over a wide range of powers.
    Technology has moved on. There are a handful of oil fired boilers on the market now that can modulate.
    Daikin also launched one back in 2018, but I can find little about it since - https://www.daikin-ce.com/en_us/press-releases/2018/oil-considering-boiler-2018.html

But that is all an aside from the subject of heat pumps.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Yes, I know @FreeBear.  But "oil boilers don't modulate" is true as a generalisation even if not 100% true.
    Reed
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
     R_R you should use the words "usually" or "generally" to avoid the pedants who feel they need to correct you
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • cannugec5
    cannugec5 Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just a wee update on my ASHP journey. 
    Our electricity bills are predictably higher. It has peaked ( I hope) at £530 for January. 

To put this into context, I’m in Scotland and it’s cold. My brother, a builder is staying with us since mid December. He is converting the integral garage to a bedroom. For ease of transportation of materials the garage door still exists, despite internal wall changes etc etc. So the heating has been on excessively. At times he has also had additional fan heaters to dry paint  etc. I’m not complaining, I’m just justifying to myself why this winters bills are so high. Next year ( I hope) will be a contrast. 

Not only is brother incurring energy costs in relation to the work he is doing, also, obviously he is eating and showering! Our own shower has been changed to a mixer, benefitting from the ASHP. In brother’s bathroom however it is still an expensive 10Kw electric shower. Our new en suite will be a mixer shower - plumbing ready - ordered. When you are used to just two in the household the extra laundry, dishwashing, cooking etc is a massive increase. 
    Although we did benefit from a 9 hour power cut when we relied on the generator. It was a great excuse to get that serviced and working again! 

Back to ASHP. My recent meter read showed that I used 54 KWh per day for January. That is massive, but I’m not unduly concerned. I know why it’s so high, and am fairly confident it will reduce next year. I’m glad that I pitched my DD higher than recommended although we are now running at a small debt. 
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Its amazing how much extra energy gets used when guests come to stay, even for a short time. We usually get descended upon by my daughters and their families over Xmas or the new year and our leccy consumption nigh on doubles for the time that they are here. Extra heating, cooking and ridiculous amounts of hot water.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • cannugec5 said:
    Our electricity bills are predictably higher. It has peaked ( I hope) at £530 for January. 

To put this into context, I’m in Scotland and it’s cold. My brother, a builder is staying with us since mid December. He is converting the integral garage to a bedroom. For ease of transportation of materials the garage door still exists, despite internal wall changes etc etc. So the heating has been on excessively. At times he has also had additional fan heaters to dry paint  etc. I’m not complaining, I’m just justifying to myself why this winters bills are so high. Next year ( I hope) will be a contrast. 

Not only is brother incurring energy costs in relation to the work he is doing, also, obviously he is eating and showering! Our own shower has been changed to a mixer, benefitting from the ASHP. In brother’s bathroom however it is still an expensive 10Kw electric shower. Our new en suite will be a mixer shower - plumbing ready - ordered. When you are used to just two in the household the extra laundry, dishwashing, cooking etc is a massive increase. 
    Although we did benefit from a 9 hour power cut when we relied on the generator. It was a great excuse to get that serviced and working again! 

Back to ASHP. My recent meter read showed that I used 54 KWh per day for January. That is massive, but I’m not unduly concerned. I know why it’s so high, and am fairly confident it will reduce next year. I’m glad that I pitched my DD higher than recommended although we are now running at a small debt. 
    I skim read this but I think you are with Octopus and at one point considering one of their smart tariffs.

Which did you end up on?
  • cannugec5
    cannugec5 Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    cannugec5 said:

I skim read this but I think you are with Octopus and at one point considering one of their smart tariffs.

Which did you end up on?
    We are still on their SVT. 
    We still have a Smart meter without comms hub, and therefore dumb. 
    Octopus have said they need to change in, in response to my request to make it Smart. However there are no appointments available in my area! 

So I will have to wait until they do. I have ‘registered my interest’. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback