NOW LIVE: The Forum 'Ask An Expert' event. The theme is ENERGY. Please post your questions on bills, switches, alternative fuels etc. Our expert MSE Andrew will answer as many as possible

Van Timing Chain failure less than 114k miles from new

Comments

• WhiteVanMan123
    WhiteVanMan123 Forumite Posts: 17
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Was it a Vauxhall dealer who did the servicing and who told you that the timing chain would need replaced at 125k miles? If so, that would suggest that the 125k mile figure was based on Vauxhall’s service recommendations and the fact that it has failed before that would indicate, in my opinion, that it wasn’t sufficiently durable - they reckon it should last at least 125k miles but it didn’t. I don’t see that you have anything to lose by pursuing the credit card company and I’m a bit surprised that Vauxhall aren’t providing any sort of (goodwill) gesture.

The first 3 services (25k,50k and 75k) were done by Vauxhall. Unfortunately the 4th service (100k) was done by a local independent garage. It was them who told me that the timing chain needed changing at the next service. I presume that was taken from some kind of Vauxhall Service Schedule, but have been unable to verify that. I will contact that garage and ask them the question.
  • oldagetraveller1
    oldagetraveller1 Forumite Posts: 1,195
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Is this an example of the stupidity of these extended service (engine oil and filter) changes? Maybe it's wrong to assume it's Diesel powered? That make 25k between oil/filter changes even worse.
    A timing chain should and does last for the lifetime of the vehicle if oil/filter changes are carried out regularly.
    Even using the best, super duper extra long life oil, 25k is ridiculous. Timing chain lubrication sprayers can easily become blocked with crud, particularly with a Diesel engine. Just look at new oil very soon after it is changed.

• WhiteVanMan123
    WhiteVanMan123 Forumite Posts: 17
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Is this an example of the stupidity of these extended service (engine oil and filter) changes? Maybe it's wrong to assume it's Diesel powered? That make 25k between oil/filter changes even worse.
    A timing chain should and does last for the lifetime of the vehicle if oil/filter changes are carried out regularly.
    Even using the best, super duper extra long life oil, 25k is ridiculous. Timing chain lubrication sprayers can easily become blocked with crud, particularly with a Diesel engine. Just look at new oil very soon after it is changed.

Yes it is diesel. Your comment is something I've heard a lot about from my peers.
    I have absolutely no idea on anything mechanical, so I don't know. All I can say is that, because I don't know any different, I rely on the manufacturers recommendations. I feel I am entitled to rely on the manufacturers service schedule.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Forumite Posts: 17,496
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The £125k figure was stated by a non Vauxhall garage.

Have Vauxhall confirmed that the  replacing time for the timing chain is £125k miles?

Phone any  Vauxhall garage ask them.

Google suggests it should be changed between 80k and 100k miles.
  • boobyd
    boobyd Forumite Posts: 235
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Did the onboard service due message come on just before the 25k each time?
    Have you checked the engine code to see the service intervals? There are about 9 different ones and they range from 6k up to 25k service intervals
  • QrizB
    QrizB Forumite Posts: 11,429
    10,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    A quick Google suggests that Corsa diesels have a bit of a reputation for timing chain failures before 100k miles.
    There's even a "Corsa rattle" from a worn chain.
    It might be a controversial opinion, but 114k miles for a small hatchback (the Corsa that the Combo is based on) doesn't seem an unreasonable life. Between me, family and friends we've owned a lot of elderly hatchbacks and they usually have some sort of critical failure in the 100-150k mile range.
    Arguably, the timing chain has indeed lasted for the life of the vehicle.

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • born_again
    born_again Forumite Posts: 11,698
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Was it a Vauxhall dealer who did the servicing and who told you that the timing chain would need replaced at 125k miles? If so, that would suggest that the 125k mile figure was based on Vauxhall’s service recommendations and the fact that it has failed before that would indicate, in my opinion, that it wasn’t sufficiently durable - they reckon it should last at least 125k miles but it didn’t. I don’t see that you have anything to lose by pursuing the credit card company and I’m a bit surprised that Vauxhall aren’t providing any sort of (goodwill) gesture.

The first 3 services (25k,50k and 75k) were done by Vauxhall. Unfortunately the 4th service (100k) was done by a local independent garage. It was them who told me that the timing chain needed changing at the next service. I presume that was taken from some kind of Vauxhall Service Schedule, but have been unable to verify that. I will contact that garage and ask them the question.
    So the information was not from Vauxhall. Just what does Vauxhall service schedule state?
    Did the last service use Vauxhall parts & oil of same spec & provided a invoice listing such part no's? As that could be why Vauxhall are not offering any goodwill. They may consider that the service has not been in line with their service schedule.

One issue I can see here with S75 is that a personal CC was used for a business purchase. I know OP said at the time they were not a business, but that was clearly the intention.
    I can see the CC throwing this pretty much out as soon as they find out.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Okell
    Okell Forumite Posts: 218
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 19 September at 4:27PM

... One issue I can see here with S75 is that a personal CC was used for a business purchase. I know OP said at the time they were not a business, but that was clearly the intention.
    I can see the CC throwing this pretty much out as soon as they find out.
    But wouldn't the CC provider be wrong to throw it out for that reason?

As I pointed out earlier, don't the definitions of "consumer credit agreement" and of "individual" in s189 of the CCA 1974 show that Parliament clearly intended small businesses of a certain type (like the OP claims to be) to benefit from s75 protection?

Within s75 there is no mention of business or personal use or of business or personal credit cards.  And within the Act there is no definition of "consumer".  All that matters is whether the claimant falls within the definition of an "individual" under the Act, and I think a sole trader clearly falls within that definition and is therefore protected(?)

Or at least that's what I've always understood...

Other than that, I'd agree with you that it's not clear that the substance of any s75 claim that the OP could make has much prospect of success on its merits.

• born_again
    born_again Forumite Posts: 11,698
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Really don't know if it's right or wrong. But 99,9% sure that, that would be their 1st stance. 

I would also add that where is the "breach of contract or misrepresentation" here, given there is no proof as yet that the quoted 125K is actually a Vauxhall figure. Even then, we are talking about a vehicle here & as we all know parts can go at any point, for any reason.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Forumite Posts: 13,189
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

Did you notice my response at 6:04pm where I added further detail? I think that email from my local Vauxhall garage, where they decline to do further diagnostics because it's pretty clear what the issue is, gives my case a pretty strong boost?

Sorry for not replying sooner and, yes, I did see that post.
    I don't think it gives any "silver bullet" that you hope it does.  At best, if you have been included in the request from Vauxhall that the local Dealer is refusing, you might be able to contact Vauxhall directly and ask then to arrange another Service Centre to undertake the diagnostics.  That may or may not be successful, I simply don't know.

The thing is, much of your argument seems to be around being told at the last service (100k miles) that the timing chain requires changing at the next service (125k miles) but the van did not make it that far.  It now transpires that was a comment by a non-Vauxhall service centre.
    Rather than relying on this verbal comment, you may have some grounds if you can refer to the actual service schedule in the service book for the vehicle you have.  Base any claim on facts rather than hearsay.  What does the specific service schedule say for your exact van?

The prospects of any goodwill are likely reduced by the fact the latest service was not carried out by Vauxhall.

I note you have now taken steps to acquire an alternative van.
    You also need to make some kind of arrangement to get the non-running van from the Vauxhall Dealer as at some point they will start to charge (or suggest charging) storage.  What are your current thoughts with regard to this van?
    • It may be worth fitting a recondition engine and then selling on for the £10k you think it is worth
    • It may be worth selling as a non-runner.  It could be somewhat higher value than you'd think.  There are loads of these vans and yours is a late model.  It's almost certain there are a good few that have been written off through accident damage but have engines that are barely run in - those engines will be looking for a donor body.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 338.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 248.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 447.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 230.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 600.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171K Life & Family
  • 244K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback