Missed flight through airport power cut

Options
There are all sorts of info available when a flight is delayed or cancelled but little or no info available when a flight is missed as it was impossible to check in through an airport issue!
Hundreds of passengers missed flights from Stansted on 20 August as a (brief) power cut at the airport meant computer systems required resetting...which took hours! Flights continued to leave on time through this period but we couldn't check in as no information screens, public address system, check in terminals or baggage conveyors were up and running from (at least) 16.00 to 20.30 when we left the airport in bemusement!
We secured alternative flights with another airline from Gatwick very early the next morning but are now some £300 out of pocket.

The original carrier (Ryanair) is not liable as the flight left on time...albeit only partly boarded.
Our Travel Insurer isn't liable for the circumstances of airport power failure.

Can I sue Stansted Airport in the small claims court for our monetary loss as the airport itself doesn't have any compensation policies??

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,863 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Travel insurance? 
  • rigolith
    rigolith Posts: 2,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Insurance is your only option. Out of interest, can't you do online check in with Ryanair?
  • JollyRoger17
    Options
    Thanks but Travel Insurance does not cover Airport issues/failure as a reason for missed departure.
    And you can't check in online with baggage going in to the hold.
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,863 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 September 2023 at 10:03AM
    Options
    Thanks but Travel Insurance does not cover Airport issues/failure as a reason for missed departure.
    And you can't check in online with baggage going in to the hold.
    Yes you can. I would strongly encourage it.  As a word of warning, if you don't check in online with Ryanair before getting to the airport they will likely charge you a shed load when you get to the airport to check in, bag or no bag. 

55 Euros a pop, as it happens

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/fees

What you actually mean here is you can't bag drop online, which is a very different thing. I presume in this case you meant you couldn't bag drop at the airport and you had already checked in before you got there. 
  • JollyRoger17
    Options
    Corrected...we completed the online check in but couldn't drop hold luggage off as the airport desk terminals and luggage conveyors weren't working.

I am asking Ryanair to refund me for the flights we couldn't take arguing 'frustrated contract'...i.e.
    Ryanair couldn't take our luggage and enable us to proceed to board the plane...through no fault of theirs.
    Similarly, we were unable to 'drop' our luggage and present ourselves at the boarding gate through no fault of ours.
    Will feedback how we get on.
  • rigolith
    rigolith Posts: 2,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks, let us know how it goes.
  • JollyRoger17
    Options
    Here's a positive outcome...albeit it took some time to achieve: -
    Ryanair finally agreed to refund the original flight costs...as they could not accept our luggage booked into the hold and so we could not proceed to boarding.
    And, surprisingly, Stansted Airport have refunded the additional costs of travel to Gatwick Airport;  + the difference in EasyJet flights from Gatwick over the Ryanair flight costs; + one night hotel charges that were forfeited through arriving a day late.

I'm now guessing that Airports might have some cover or reserve fund to draw on when they are responsible for systems failures etc??

• saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ryanair finally agreed to refund the original flight costs...as they could not accept our luggage booked into the hold and so we could not proceed to boarding.
    Yeah sounds reasonable, arguably you showed up to the airport and (could have) asked the Ryanair representatives in the check in area, but they couldn't board you with bags. 

And, surprisingly, Stansted Airport have refunded the additional costs of travel to Gatwick Airport;  + the difference in EasyJet flights from Gatwick over the Ryanair flight costs; + one night hotel charges that were forfeited through arriving a day late.

I'm now guessing that Airports might have some cover or reserve fund to draw on when they are responsible for systems failures etc??

Interesting.. how exactly did you claim and what team from the airport was this? 
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,907 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

Sounds like an excellent outcome :)

Your perseverance clearly paid off.
  • Heatherby
    Heatherby Posts: 1 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options

@JollyRoger17
    Wow, well done. I have been struggling with this exact same situation since October. Ryanair has denied my claims so far, claiming that I must have been late to the check in and not even acknowledging the situation that occurred at Stansted. I would be so grateful if you would be willing to message me and share the details of how you were able to process this claim through Stansted and Ryanair.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback