Paying Council Tax on two homes

Options
Hi

I hope you can help.

I will be working away and living on my own in a rental property during the week.
I understand that I will need to pay council tax on this rental property and can claim single occupancy discount.

My question is - can my partner claim single occupancy discount on the other house as I will only be there at weekends and paying council tax on another property?

Many thanks for your help with this

Comments

• Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi

I hope you can help.

I will be working away and living on my own in a rental property during the week.
    I understand that I will need to pay council tax on this rental property and can claim single occupancy discount.

My question is - can my partner claim single occupancy discount on the other house as I will only be there at weekends and paying council tax on another property?

It is maybe a rather specific question for this board.
    You might be better off posting it here
    Cutting tax — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    or here
    Reclaiming mortgage fees, council tax, etc — MoneySavingExpert Forum
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    Hi

I hope you can help.

I was in the same position with a house in the Midlands and a weekday flat in Leeds.

Here is Birmingham's position by way of an example:

We may have to decide which is your main residence.  You may be asked for further information for us to check which property is classed as your main residence. If your second home is job-related, that is, your employment contract requires you to live in the property, you may be entitled to a discount of 50%. If one of your properties is outside Birmingham, please include a copy of your Council Tax bill for this property with your application for a discount. To apply, please complete the general council tax enquiry form.

Presumably, you could declare your rental property as your main residence and your partner could declare your home property as her/his main residence. I steered away from the double discount because of my concern that this could cause complications elsewhere. 

I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,234 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hi

I hope you can help.

I was in the same position with a house in the Midlands and a weekday flat in Leeds.

Here is Birmingham's position by way of an example:

We may have to decide which is your main residence.  You may be asked for further information for us to check which property is classed as your main residence. If your second home is job-related, that is, your employment contract requires you to live in the property, you may be entitled to a discount of 50%. If one of your properties is outside Birmingham, please include a copy of your Council Tax bill for this property with your application for a discount. To apply, please complete the general council tax enquiry form.

Presumably, you could declare your rental property as your main residence and your partner could declare your home property as her/his main residence. I steered away from the double discount because of my concern that this could cause complications elsewhere. 

You're right, it could if you sell because it would not be your main residence, and I'm no expert, but Capital gains tax may arise from selling a house you do not, officially, live in

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think councils are also leary of couples living apart in this situation. I seem to remember a thread from aeons ago (so I'm not even going to hunt for it) where one of a couple was living elsewhere for work, and not home that often, but the 'home' half of the couple couldn't claim single person discount. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Sterlingtimes
    Options
    Savvy_Sue said:
    I think councils are also leary of couples living apart in this situation. I seem to remember a thread from aeons ago (so I'm not even going to hunt for it) where one of a couple was living elsewhere for work, and not home that often, but the 'home' half of the couple couldn't claim single person discount. 
    I suppose that this would open the way for a two-home couple to claim that each partner lives in a different home.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Savvy_Sue said:
    I suppose that this would open the way for a two-home couple to claim that each partner lives in a different home.
    Absolutely, so you can understand why they'd resist such a claim.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    AFAIK you can't claim single person discount because the main home is still your main residence even if you are away half the week.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/benefits-tax-credits
  • SiliconChip
    Options
    @marcia_ is correct, at one time I owned two properties, a small house in the country that I nominated as my main residence and claimed single occupant discount on, and a much smaller studie flat in the city that I used during the week while I was working on which I paid the full council tax. The OP is in the same situation as a couple is treated in the same way as one person for CT except for not being eligible for the discount. Whether you would be caught if you claimed the discount at the rental property is a question that can't be answered until it happens, but is it worth the risk?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback