Flight cancelled twice

Options
Yesterday we were due to fly with Loganair to Edinburgh from Southampton on 8.40am flight then it was cancelled we were re booked on 17.05 same day that was cancelled we are now on 8.40 am today that’s looking like it will be delayed over 2 hours can we claim compensation for all three flights (and the 5 shows we booked at fringe and accommodation for one night) absolute disaster never using a local airport again as the options are so limited. Be grateful for any advise thanks

Comments

• MattMattMattUK
    Options
    Waggmama said:
    Yesterday we were due to fly with Loganair to Edinburgh from Southampton on 8.40am flight then it was cancelled we were re booked on 17.05 same day that was cancelled we are now on 8.40 am today that’s looking like it will be delayed over 2 hours can we claim compensation for all three flights (and the 5 shows we booked at fringe and accommodation for one night) absolute disaster never using a local airport again as the options are so limited. Be grateful for any advise thanks
    The main factor in your ability to claim will be the reason for the delays and cancellations. If it is outside of the airline's control, the bad weather we have been experiencing for example then no, you have no claim, if it is because they messed up crew rotas then it is their fault and you can claim. 

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delay-compensation/
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,861 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 August 2023 at 8:51AM
    Options
    And then only for one flight (the original one), not three.

Travel insurance may cover you for consequential losses such as Fringe tickets. You did have travel insurance didn't you? 
  • Waggmama
    Options
    It was technical fault both times
  • Waggmama
    Options
    And yes got travel insurance 
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 August 2023 at 9:19AM
    Options
    Bit late now but if I'd had plans in Edinburgh I'd have crossed the bridge to the station and jumped on a train. Would have taken you 6 hours but from 0840 (or earlier presuming you'd arrived at the airport before your flight) you'd have been there early afternoon.

The regulations do allow for alternative transport methods if a rearranged flight isn't suitable so you could have potentially reclaimed the rail tickets from Loganair later.

I would try claiming for both cancelled flights and see what they say. You could argue that the first flight was cancelled (=compensation) and you accepted rebooking onto the second. Then compensation for that cancellation. But I'm not sure if the regulations are for one itinerary/journey or each individual flight. 
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,592 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    agree get the train - you would have been there much sooner, can't believe it is taking so long from Edinburgh to Southampton
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 19 August 2023 at 11:36AM
    Options
    la531983 said:
    And then only for one flight (the original one), not three.
    bagand96 said:
    I would try claiming for both cancelled flights and see what they say. You could argue that the first flight was cancelled (=compensation) and you accepted rebooking onto the second. Then compensation for that cancellation. But I'm not sure if the regulations are for one itinerary/journey or each individual flight. 
    It's legitimate to claim for multiple cancellations or delays in this situation, as they're different flights, according to a precedent case:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/79621267/#Comment_79621267

Today's flight could only have been claimed if the delay exceeds three hours, not the two mentioned by OP, assuming no extraordinary circumstances, but it looks like it's already landed, about an hour and a quarter late....
  • suhaib
    suhaib Posts: 4 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, 

Trying to gather if I'm entitled to one flight compensation or 2. Emirates have so far only offered for one. 

10 Dec flight at 20:00ish hours ek068, had to deplane due to engine failure. Rebooked for another flight next day, same plane. Connecting flight will be missed and Rebooked. 

11 Dec flight at 1700 hours EK8068, delayed again by 6 hours due to engine problems again, only told us an hour before boarding. This made us miss our connecting flight again. Had to wait 30 hours for next flight which was ironically late over 2 hours again as about to board lol. 

Left London sun 10 dec and got to sialkot (Pakistan) on Wednesday night 11pm on 13th dec, after nearly 3.5 days! Very frustrated with the whole experience, lost out on precious family time and was attending an event, so barely time for shopping etc. 
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    Options
    If the 10 December flight was definitely recorded as cancelled, and the 11 December one was given a different flight number, on which it was necessary to rebook, then yes, you're due one compensation payment for the 10 December cancellation, and then a second for the extended delay to the 11 December one.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,943 Forumite
    edited 30 January at 4:32PM
    Options
    suhaib said:
    Hi, 

Trying to gather if I'm entitled to one flight compensation or 2. Emirates have so far only offered for one. 

10 Dec flight at 20:00ish hours ek068, had to deplane due to engine failure. Rebooked for another flight next day, same plane. Connecting flight will be missed and Rebooked. 

11 Dec flight at 1700 hours EK8068, delayed again by 6 hours due to engine problems again, only told us an hour before boarding. This made us miss our connecting flight again. Had to wait 30 hours for next flight which was ironically late over 2 hours again as about to board lol. 

Left London sun 10 dec and got to sialkot (Pakistan) on Wednesday night 11pm on 13th dec, after nearly 3.5 days! Very frustrated with the whole experience, lost out on precious family time and was attending an event, so barely time for shopping etc. 
    I actually read that differently to @eskbanker.   I think EK068/10DEC is delayed with a rescheduled departure to following day. Airlines will then often add another digit to the flight number if it subsequently operates the next day, or has is a new flight added for operational reasons.   EK068/10DEC therefore becoming EK8068, with the delay until the next day.  Stops confusion when the next day's passengers turn up for the same (EK068) flight.

Certainly one compensation payment possibly due.  Not convinced it is two payments.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback