PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How do these "we buy any house" companies work? Specifically "SmoothSale"?

Options
gelato_cat
gelato_cat Posts: 2,723 Ambassador
I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 16 August 2023 at 3:59PM in House buying, renting & selling
We went to view a house on 4th August, which we decided not to buy.

Then on 11th August, we noticed it was no longer listed with Haart, and is now on Rightmove with SmoothSale (https://www.smoothsale.co.uk/).

We still don't want to buy the house, but are curious as to how it would work (in case we see another like this).

Have SmoothSale already bought the house from the vendor?  So then would any buyer be buying from SmoothSale?

[Edited to add: the person who showed us around was the owner-occupier.  She and her family still live there.  So are they renting the house from SmoothSale?  How does it work?]

We are super curious / confused about the process because the house is in a really bad state (Haart did a very good job with the photos), yet SmoothSale has it listed at a similar price to Haart's old listing, which makes me wonder how much they've paid the vendors for it.

When we met the vendor, they seemed to be holding out for half a million pounds (which is the same as others in the street which have been newly renovated) so we can't imagine they accepted an extremely low offer from SmoothSale.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Savings & Investments, Small Biz MoneySaving and House Buying, Renting & Selling boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• MorningcoffeeIV
    MorningcoffeeIV Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 16 August 2023 at 3:02PM
    Options
    They buy the property from the vendor for a very low amount, the sell it on at speed.

It's all about margin and fast turnover.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    As above. We once bought from one of these companies. Bear in mind that they won't be able to answer technical questions about the house, and have plenty of room for negotiation on the price
  • gelato_cat
    edited 16 August 2023 at 3:58PM
    Options
    So they have already bought it from the owner?

The person who showed us around was the owner.  They're still living there.  I forgot to mention that part, which is crucial because that's the part that's confused us the most.

Does the (ex-)owner rent it from the company then?

[I'll edit my original post accordingly.]

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Savings & Investments, Small Biz MoneySaving and House Buying, Renting & Selling boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Martico
    Martico Posts: 999 Forumite
    Options
    I suspect they might try to arrange a discounted price with the current owner, then quickly find a buyer and line up the transactions to flip the place immediately, pocketing any differential without shelling out in the first place.
  • gelato_cat
    Options
    That sounds a bit complicated... might as well just go with a traditional agent in that case?
  • Mstty
    Mstty Posts: 4,209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    This is how it works,

They get your house cheap and sell it for a quick profit just parting on the fear some people have of selling. (With some exceptions such as need the money quick life and limb scenarios but it's still sold cheaply)
  • gelato_cat
    Options
    Mstty said:
    This is how it works,

They get your house cheap and sell it for a quick profit just parting on the fear some people have of selling. (With some exceptions such as need the money quick life and limb scenarios but it's still sold cheaply)
    Right - but if they've got their house cheap, how come the vendors are still living there?
  • Grizebeck
    Grizebeck Posts: 2,779 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Suzey said:
    Mstty said:
    This is how it works,

Right - but if they've got their house cheap, how come the vendors are still living there?
    they could be on an AST
    Advocate in the County Court dealing with a variety of cases, attending the courts in the North East and North Yorkshire
  • Martico
    edited 16 August 2023 at 5:18PM
    Options
    Suzey said:
    Mstty said:
    This is how it works,

My suspicion (I haven't looked into it deeply) is that they don't actually purchase until they've got an onward sale lined up and guaranteed to go immediately. I don't think such companies, especially startups with a desire to scale, would have deep enough pockets to do otherwise. 
  • Martico
    edited 16 August 2023 at 5:23PM
    Options
    House is valued at 200k - webuy company gets an offer of 175k accepted - webuy company finds a buyer willing to pay 180k - webuy company lines up the deals and pockets 5k without paying out a penny*

*All the above is made-up guesswork
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure