An in-between phase

Options

Comments

• PennysIntoPounds
    Options
    Cheers @Blackcats I always think I'm being succinct then realise I have probably used more internet than bitc*in mining saying I used up some tomatoes for lunch or somesuch 😁 Very nice to see you on my humble abode of a diary  
  • PennysIntoPounds
    Options
    Allo @WinterWarrior thank you very much for the suggestion, much appreciated- unfortunately the affordable housing in London is not really geared to people who are actually poor, just those poorer than international investors who buy up most of the new housing and leave communities derelict from what I see! I have also experienced with my former partner how awful part-buy schemes are and would be extremely hesitant about ever getting involved even if I could afford it. But I do really appreciate your suggestion! 😂
  • PennysIntoPounds
    Options
    This is probably a good point at which to outline why it's even more such an in-between phase.
    Mr PIP earns enough that we could get a mortgage on a small place in an area we don't know or a VERY small place near my mum that in reality wouldn't be suitable for two adults both largely working from home.
    It would also require ALL our savings.
    My Dad died a while ago and as my mum is my only remaining immediate family member it seems stupid to tie up our money living somewhere not near her if we didn't even want to live there.
    But there's a twist! Mr PIP's Dad has some land from his builders yard back in the day that he has said Mr PIP and his brother can build a house each on. Very exciting and fortunate. Except! They've been in the planning permission stage for almost four years due to a variety of factors but the main one being that the local council is a steaming pile of ineptitude. (I appreciate councils have had cuts etc but I'm not in any mood to be generous when they've wasted four years of Mr PIP's earnings on rent that could have been spent on him/us having a home of our own.)
    So. Do we wait and pray that this project starting is just around the corner, and continue with not having a home of our own together and not paying into our own asset and the constant horrible feeling of not having any control over our future.
    Or do we get somewhere near my mum that isn't suitable but make the best of it and pray we can sell it without loss if we're ever able to move forward with the building project- we'd have to sell to get our savings back to be able to afford to build, and we'd still need a building mortgage (and we're both middle aged so this isn't a cute starter make-do and progress situation).
    Seems stupid to mug ourselves when the property if built would be worth more than we'd ever be able to afford to buy normally at any point now or in the future. But so much money and time has already been wasted, we don't know when is appropriate to cut our losses and get on with our lives. IF we were able to sell the land, it still wouldn't be enough combined with mortgage we'd be able to get, to get a decent place anywhere near my mum (North London prices!). Fortunately she's in decent health (* touches wood *) but as a woman in her mid 70s living alone on the top floor of a block of rented  flats, it's incredibly important to me that we're within reasonably easy reach (the build is not in same area but only about half hour away on public transport and even quicker driving if there was an emergency).
    I think the only sensible option is to not tie up literally all our money on something we may not be able to get out of while this build opportunity still exists, and to sit tight and keep saving any odds and ends. But it is driving us (especially me 😂) absolutely spare!
  • peb
    peb Posts: 1,799 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ah.yup. frustrating. If you are tied to an expensive area its a nightmare 
  • PennysIntoPounds
    Options
    It is rather @peb Also it's the area I grew up in and where feels like home and my community- I know what one wants is irrelevant in the harsh reality of life but I find it so cruel that a person can't live among the people and places they love, sharing helping each other out and caring about the community and the area, just because their parents believed in the concept of social housing half a century ago.
    On the plus side, my stony face when all my friends complain about money knowing they're going to inherit million pound properties that were bought for ten grand, I'm sure does better work than botox 😁
  • PennysIntoPounds
    Options
    But today!
    Not a hugely mse day but no stupid spends. Bus back from friends (cat was happy to eat my cheese then went back to hissing so she's basically fine just grumpy 🙄) and Mr PIP helped carry my stuff back so not too upsetting on the body and I wasn't tempted to give in and get a cab. I did spend a quid on getting him a tin of cat food when his card wouldn't be read by the card reader- I hasten to add the tin was for his cat, not him, I've not gone that brutal on the money saving!
    Got back to my mums to find a letter saying I've been given one of the higher rates of Pip which is obviously great, but it's going to take me a long time to not feel guilty like I'm skanking off of those worse off. Decades of being made to feel like you're being melodramatic when you've sought help will do that I guess. (Btw I have worked in the NHS and have nothing but respect and love for what in my opinion is this country's greatest ever achievement but I am consistently angry and sad about how medical wisdom ignores women's lived experience, or women altogether.)
    But on a cheerier note! I took my mum out to a local pub for a bottle of wine to say thank you, and I'll use the Pip money to save for things like the dental pot (that I feel is a reasonable use as I can't do 'proper' work & get no employee rights or benefits) and very occasional cabs so my world doesn't become even smaller through my being less able than others. And me and mum worked on the Evening Standard cryptic crossword so free entertainment. Only four left to get... (or two according to my mum but I'm refusing to put those answers in until I know *why* it's that answer 😁)

• PennysIntoPounds
    Options
    Todays small efforts:
    Watched the football at home with coffee and baguette rather than going out
    I did buy a paper which was £4 but that's a very occasional treat and there's enough money in this month's budget to cover it
    Entered some competitions
    Moved money from Inv*stengine now that signing up bonus has been applied- interest and bonus sent to the flat pot and initial investment to T*ndem which has 5% interest. I wish all banking apps had pots, I'm slightly obsessed with my Z*pa pots. Makes managing money so much easier and while I hate to be missing out on any bit of interest, the relief of being able to see money for different things ringfenced is worth it (as long as there aren't huge disparities in rates!)
  • PennysIntoPounds
    Options
    Today's doings:
    Got some steps by going to money saving Al*I, shame they don't have a loyalty doodah but you can't have everything. Can't carry much when I go to the shops but at least it forces me to get steps in if I have to do my small shop in a few goes!

Did a few surveys

Put a top on Vinted

Not mse but went to my local to have a few beers with the locals gang- though I do consider investing in seeing mates, especially in your community, to actually be quite mse because you get different ideas and advice and if you needed it, a roof over your head for a few days. And you don't go completely mad from lack of a normal range of human interactions.

Got the refund from street fair woman. The more I think about it, the more I can see potential ways that she could be skimming hundreds of pounds to herself every year. But I shall try to adopt an uncynical attitude. Though I really think I'm right. But that's because I'm a cynical b*tch 😁

Anyway, hope you've all had a good start to the week and if not, Mondays don't count, you'll just be excellent tomorrow x
  • PennysIntoPounds
    Options
    A no spend day today, which my bank took so seriously they refused to let me refund my friend for the street fair stall 😁 Will try again tomorrow. It was the bank having difficulties btw, not my account, in case anyone was concerned!

Among the usual work and life admin;

Entered some competitions

Did some surveys

A book that's meant to be a classic that I found absolutely unreadable was declined by Z*ffit which was a bit annoying as I particularly wanted it rid, but I did get some satisfaction from imagining that Z*ffit was agreeing with me that it's classic status was sorely misplaced

About to finish another book that every decade or so I think 'I'll get rid of this, I'll just read it one more time' then keep- I really thought this would be the time but I'm keeping it, it's not a particular favourite but I'm now quite interested in my changing perspective of it and how I'll view it in another 10-20 years. When I first read it as a teenager the main character, a 40 year old woman walking out on her teenage children seemed so adult. Now I'm shocked that a 40 year old has teenage children! Will hopefully survive long enough to read it again at 60 and have an entirely different take on it. Will start a new book I'm not sure about and if I don't want to keep it I'll see if Z*ffit will give me a few pence for it

Had a walk getting some free rolls from Olio

Got an app offer of a free small bottle of L*cozade from Gr*ggs- and didn't take my wallet so I couldn't be tempted to buy delicious baked goods

Got arrested for stealing a cheese slice and a square of sponge cake
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,438 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You're far from the only not-in-debt DFW dweller - I've been kicking about here for years on various pretexts...nobody has done the pointy finger thing and told me to leave as yet although I think I might shortly end up evicting myself and heading to MFW...hmmm...

You are also far from the only one who goes on to their diary to write "a quick update" and leaves a rather lengthy ramble in their wake...there are definitely a few of us that particular label could be applied to! :lol: 

My book related pet-hate are books that people tell me I "should" read - it's an instant literary turn-off so far as I am concerned. (And a lot of the so-called classics fall into this heading from being told as a child that I should, or must read them. No, you're alright thanks!)

As for the PIP - definitely use it where needed to help you with maintaining normality so far as is possible where otherwise your condition would prevent that. Cabs seem like a perfect use when they are required! 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills