The Senior Wonder Years!

Comments

• Clowance
    Clowance Posts: 1,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I find MSC the cheapest, sometimes have solo offers. There is a meetup once a day if you want to meet others but personally happy not to bother!

• maggiem
    maggiem Posts: 1,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 21 February at 1:07PM
    A couple of friends have travelled as singles with Saga, sailing from Portsmouth which is an advantage. Both reported good experiences with meeting people as much or as little as wished and lovely relaxing cruising. 
  • Andyjflet
    Andyjflet Posts: 551 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary

One other question I had to consider when fully retiring in June was, ‘Could I manage all the household bills in the unlikely event that I was left alone in the coming twelve months before state pension begins?’

Fortunately, the answer is yes. At the moment, I contribute £550 a month and my relative £450 to a household joint account. That £1000 a month covers all our household bills, some charitable donations, and my fuel costs. It runs at a small surplus each month. We also have BG Homecare. We also enjoy our or food and often have other family members to dinner.

I calculated that with the 25% single person council tax discount and saving about £150 a month on groceries plus deceasing my monthly savings for a while I could easily manage. Hopefully, the situation will not arise.

Slightly confused, as your first post mentioned being a single male, are you house sharing? Children at home? 
    Baby Step 6/7 - £63000 saved for emergency fund DEBT FREE !!!
  • kdalwayskint
    kdalwayskint Posts: 789 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Welcome @kdalwayskint.

If you are part of a couple 2 times the state pension will give you a base retirement income of £23000 a year. (Based on post April 2024 value). This is currently index linked.

You have 15 years until 2039 so time to build for your retirement. You have a pension with your employer which is also good news. What about your partner? Sadly, he has been in and out of employment the last couple of years, so I don't think he currently has a work pension - I know he has paid into one previously though. Also, for whatever reason, his state pension is not the full allowance

Having your pots for car expenses is a good thing. Do you have pots for the other annual bills and things such as Christmas and holidays? Yes, I run the 'Saving £1 a day for Christmas' thread, so save for Christmas every year.  Other annual bills are spread through the year. I do have a small amount saved which I used to call my 'white goods fund' but we are thinking of having our first overseas holiday this year so may steal the little bit from there. 

You also need to build up an emergency fund if you don’t already have one. Maybe aim for £1000 to start with and then increase it when you have more spare cash. I do keep thinking about an emergency fund but have yet to set this up.

When your debt is paid off you can divert more money into retirement savings. You do have the time to make a difference to your future. My debt is not massive, I have just done a transfer to new credit card (I like to pay more than the minimum amount when I can) - I tend to use this for booking things where I need to pay in one go, in the past air b n b, concert tickets and so forth.  I'm thinking if we book a holiday to pay the deposit via credit card and transfer the funds back to the credit card.

These are just my suggestions. Feel free to ignore or pull apart lol. Thank you for your suggestions, they are helpful :)

Best wishes.
    Thanks @Baron_Dale
    new challenge?
    £1 a day for Christmas 2024 £100.60 / £366 ~
    Got married 24/05/19 ~ Credit Card
    DFW Nerd #1155 ~
    LBM 25/2/09 ~ Debt at highest £8,037.35 ~ £0
  • Baron_Dale
    Baron_Dale Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 27 February at 10:55AM
    Andyjflet said:

One other question I had to consider when fully retiring in June was, ‘Could I manage all the household bills in the unlikely event that I was left alone in the coming twelve months before state pension begins?’

Fortunately, the answer is yes. At the moment, I contribute £550 a month and my relative £450 to a household joint account. That £1000 a month covers all our household bills, some charitable donations, and my fuel costs. It runs at a small surplus each month. We also have BG Homecare. We also enjoy our or food and often have other family members to dinner.

I calculated that with the 25% single person council tax discount and saving about £150 a month on groceries plus deceasing my monthly savings for a while I could easily manage. Hopefully, the situation will not arise.

Slightly confused, as your first post mentioned being a single male, are you house sharing? Children at home? 
    I am a single male but my elderly relative lives with me. I was referring to a future time when elderly relative is no longer with me.
  • Humboldt
    Humboldt Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    @Baron_Dale great that you were pleased with your holiday choices and costs. Always nice to have something on the calendar to look forward to.
  • Lily8
    Lily8 Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Nice to see you keeping busy and enjoying retirement Baron-Dale.  I have a soft spot for Amsterdam and enjoyed a trip to Hamburg a few years ago. Not long till you can claim the state pension. I'm on countdown for you :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure