Tried getting reading - Meter updated so no R02 rate, and no way to enter reading online. Octopus

Options
BossHogg
BossHogg Posts: 45 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
I'm with Octopus (transitioned from Bulb)... With manual Gas meter and Digital Electricity meter (Economy 7).

Tried taking reading before the weekend as advised, but Electric one no longer showing R02 (Night) Rate... Tarriff changed to "Octo FIX" on LCD after cycling through the "6" display. Seems like meter update has taken away split day/night.

Spoke to very helpful customer services guy who explained they have a large scale issue at present, having had back-end tech teams try to update the meters (presumably over the air). Lots of people like me have lost the dual rate capability.

Its then made worse by the fact that Online, my account is still expecting (needing) both rates to be entered. Would not accept just the R01 rate even from the Customer services chap himself. Managed to enter Gas reading as seperate screen, but cant give them Electric. :(

Presume many others will be in same boat.

Comments

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks for letting us know.
    BossHogg said:
    I'm with Octopus (transitioned from Bulb)... With manual Gas meter and Digital Electricity meter (Economy 7). ;;; Tarriff changed to "Octo FIX" on LCD after cycling through the "6" display
    This sounds like a Secure Liberty SMETS1 smart meter, looking something like this:
    It would be interesting to know if these are the only affected model, or if the problem is more widespread.

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • BossHogg
    Options
    Yep, that's my model ... though mine comes with extra spider webs ;) 
  • BossHogg
    Options
    Still no update on any fix. 

Thinking about it, any over the air update that has wiped out meters ability to record R02 night rate is not going to be easy to fix as they presumably cannot do individual updates. Best they could do is reset R02 to zero. 

Daft thing is, Octopus have the data, as on my account I can look at half hourly usage, so from that and a single read they could work out what falls into the lower rate (00:30 - 06:30?).

At the moment I have a lot of stuff running overnight so probably 60% of my overall usage, being charged at an inflated day rate (~41p/kw) instead of night rate (~16p/kw).

There must be loads of people in similar situation? My meter was standard OVO one from way back. 
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    BossHogg said:
    Thinking about it, any over the air update that has wiped out meters ability to record R02 night rate is not going to be easy to fix as they presumably cannot do individual updates. Best they could do is reset R02 to zero.
    Meters are all individually configurable by your supplier, but I don't think they can reset the registers (there would be too much scope for problems).
    You need Octopus's smart meter team to fix this, and from what you say they're working on it.
    In your position I'd keep in regular touch with Octopus by email, maybe once a week, bit other than that all you can do is wait.

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 2,347 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If they get 30 minute data for total import, the day/night split could be recreated for billing purposes.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Qyburn said:
    If they get 30 minute data for total import, the day/night split could be recreated for billing purposes.
    The meters also retain import usage data for 13 months.
  • SAC2334
    SAC2334 Posts: 763 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 6 July 2023 at 9:57AM
    Options
    Secure Liberty Eco 7 every   reading was always on button 9 only in the few years I read their meters. Button 6 came in later  for some suppliers like Eon  for no real reason .
    Maybe its just moved .It should still be recording night rate whether its smart or dumb somewhere on the menu .
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    SAC2334 said:
    Secure Liberty Eco 7  readings were always on button 9 only in the few years I read their meters. Button 6 came in later  for some suppliers like Eon .
    Maybe it’s just moved .It should still be recording night rate whether it’s smart or dumb somewhere on the menu .
    This is what it now says on the Octopus website for Secure meters:

• BossHogg
    Options
    I wonder if there is any correlation to an issue found a few years back, where my meter rates were wrong way around... R01 was day/peak and R02 was night, after doing a burn test. 
    Bulb then restated all my bills going back to opening. 
    On OVO website for liberty 100 different pages suggest R01/R02 opposite ways around...!
    https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/secure-liberty-100-smart-meter-guide
    VS. 
    https://forum.ovoenergy.com/smart-meters-136/ovo-smets1-secure-liberty-100-110-smart-meter-guide-8584 

• SAC2334
    SAC2334 Posts: 763 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It was always five presses  (or so )of button 9 to get to RO 2 then Eon came in with button 6 just to confuse , but both buttons worked ok so you could take your choice
    .So, OP have a try on button 9 and scroll through .

I always had a big moan about this small business meter from India showing Kvah reading as well as night rate on button 9 if you scrolled through the menu  which many customers would use in error for their night rate   .
     A really bonkers reading to show on a domestic electric meter when this reading is totally useless and should not be on the menu of a standard domestic meter .
    The worst ever electric meter to use in the history of UK domestic meters  IMO . along with the the tiny little keyboard which is terrible to use , it is why I refuse , so far , to let Octopus put this thing in my property . I ll see how long I can hang out . 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback