SE Water

Options
Hi

I have just found out that SE Water have been billing me based on a four bedroom house. I only have two bedrooms. I am charged by rateable value as I can't have a water meter.  Can I pursue a rebate? I have lived in my home for 35 years so this could be a considerable amount.

Comments

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.
    Are you saying your rateable value is wrong?
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • downinkent
    Options
    Thank you for replying. They were basing my bill on a four bedroomed house as my neighbours have four bedrooms. I have two bedrooms. 
  • downinkent
    Options
    They obviously haven't checked that I am council tax band A. They said they will send someone around to clarify I only have two bedrooms. I am also single occupancy which I told them months ago.
  • freesha
    freesha Posts: 344 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    RV has nothing to do with how many bedrooms, or a council tax banding.
  • downinkent
    downinkent Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I have just got this off Google.

Water companies charge in two different ways. The first is unmetered and calculates a set rate that is decided upon by your home's 'rateable' value. The second method is metered, where you are billed for the amount of water you use.

• freesha
    Options
    I have just got this off Google.

Water companies charge in two different ways. The first is unmetered and calculates a set rate that is decided upon by your home's 'rateable' value. The second method is metered, where you are billed for the amount of water you use.

There is a third way (assessed) which can only be used where a meter fit isn't possible.
  • downinkent
    downinkent Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Meter fit isn't possible in my house. I had a conversation with them and they said they have been charging me for a four bed house not a two bed, hence my post. No one has been round to assess my property.
  • freesha
    Options
    Do you live alone? Ask about their single occupier assessed tariff.
  • downinkent
    Options
    I am now registered for that, but I am chasing a rebate for all the years they have overcharged me.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,627 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am now registered for that, but I am chasing a rebate for all the years they have overcharged me.
    You won't get 35 years refunded. You might possibly get more recent bills adjusted but historically bills were based on rateable value so that wouldn't have been affected by the bedrooms but the RV of the property.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback