We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Money Moral Dilemma: Should my friends who can't make our whole holiday still pay the full amount?

Options

Comments

• agadsby
    Options
    Always get “friends”
    to pay upfront that way there’s never a problem. 
  • simonwilliams0308
    Options
    Get new friends. I wouldn't do this to any of mine. I would offer to pay up even if I could no longer go. Also, suggest getting the money before booking.
  • Ree73
    Ree73 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can not believe they would even ask to pay less, has it occurred to them that it would mean others paying more? They agreed to a full week and you booked on this basis. As you say, you still need the same size apartment to accommodate them when they are there. Why should you and the others who are staying the full week subside that, particularly as that was not the agreement when the holiday was booked and no doubt you have all budgeted accordingly. Not sure what’s cropped up for them, maybe something that’s outside of their control but either way it’s not down to you. They have made a choice about what they need to prioritise which is fair enough but why should the rest off you be out off pocket. If it causes an argument then that’s on them and is a clear indicator that they’re probably not worth considering friends. If they were as concerned as you are about keeping the peace then they would have just paid up.
  • hill_ekaterina
    Options
    Either they pay in full, or you downgrade and they don’t come.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 11,448 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Where's the dilemma? Amazed they are even asking.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • gran3
    gran3 Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They pay, no question. Not your fault they have changed their plans.
  • Itsarz2
    Options
    The GROUP agreed a week away. The GROUP need the size of property to accommodate everyone. The GROUP pays up. Nothing to discuss. I find it very disappointing any of the group should think otherwise!
  • Shebear
    Shebear Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Everyone agrees.....they agreed it, so now they pay it. End of. Don't let them monkey about with you.
  • squirrel59
    squirrel59 Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Pretty shameful, to be honest. In your shoes I'd avoid the argument, but would never, ever go on holiday with them again. In fact, I would seriously rethink the whole friendship. Life's too short.
  • Justan
    Options
    Just tell them sorry but the agency won't agree to any refunds and it's all booked now.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback