How does everyone do it? Household Budget Review

Options
Hi All,

My husband and I always say 'how does everyone do it' in relation to getting a house and getting on in life etc and we're looking for some outside perspective on our budget to see what's missing.

Monthly income: £3700 + £1800 = £5,500
Monthly outgoings: £5,238
Mortgage 656
Service Charges 83
Water 27
Gas + Electricity 158
Contents Insurance 11.39
Broadband 27
Council tax 180
critical illness 14.8
Life Insurance 23.89
TV Licence 13.37
Social Budget 150
Petrol 250
Food shopping 500
Kids swimming 75
Cleaner 60
Contact lenses 11.49
Netflix 10.99
Prime 7.99
Car 1 Finance 270
Car Service plans 54
Car 2 Finance 224
mobile 1 39
mobile 2  12
Child uni savings 100
Car Insurance 41.66666667
Car Tax 30
Christmas Gifts 50
Birthday Gifts 75
Christmas Food 12.5
House 100
holiday 100
Nursery (already factored in £166 for tax free childcare) 1270
Personal spending money (£300 each for lunches, clothes, gym, personal fun) 600

Based on our income we should be able to afford a bigger mortgage and be able to get a house but it just seems so unachievable especially based on interest rates right now and the market in our area (small 2.5 bed home is about £340k, we'd have about a 60k deposit).

things we considered:

1 car - this would be a struggle as one of us commutes and the drop off time for nursery would mean they would never be able to stay late at work. The carless partner would then be unhappy with their lack of freedom.

Cutting out non-essentials and savings for xmas/birthdays - thing with this is. If we did this to get in a house we'd end up living a miserable life. We enjoy giving all the family little presents (big family so lots of little gifts add up). We'd also be unable to save - there'd need to be contingency for increased household bills as well.

please be kind!

Comments

• Sarahspangles
    Sarahspangles Posts: 1,395 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How real are these numbers i.e. do you budget in advance each month, record outgoings, and have averaged them out, or are they estimates?
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mobile 1 - £1.39, mobile 2 - £2.12 per month 

That is very good, I buy a £100 phone every couple of years and pay around £10 month.
  • Lifes_Grand_Plan
    Options
    Mobile 1 - £1.39, mobile 2 - £2.12 per month 

That is very good, I buy a £100 phone every couple of years and pay around £10 month.
    I think the OP means Mobile 1 @ £39 per month, and mobile 2 @ £12 per month...
    A big believer in karma, you get what you give :A

If you find my posts useful, "pay it forward" and help someone else out, that's how places like MSE can be so successful.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How many children?

If it was me, I’d lose the cleaner, lose the pay-TV services, cut down on the personal spending money - why do you have both personal spends and a social budget? - as a starting point,

But it’s not me. 
    So you need to decide whether or what you are willing to compromise on to move on, or choose  lifestyle over house and carry on as you are
    Or increase your earnings. 
    There isn’t a magic wand, there’s just what you decide to prioritise. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • powerspowers
    powerspowers Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think the biggest impact for you will be when nursery fees are over with. There are bits you can tinker with but it’s not going to make a massive difference quickly and it’s always nice to have a buffer so there are things you can cut if circumstances change.

Is moving urgent or can it wait until kids at school? 
    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145
    MFW 2022 #27 £5,300 
    MFW 2023 #27 £2,000
    MFW 2024 #27 £1,075 /£3,600

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How does everyone do it?  If you really want something you will find ways of doing it.  You are finding excuses not to do it.
      If you prefer to have the things that money can buy, rather than a larger house then that’s fine. 
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,152 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Accept that some things have to wait until later in life. My Nan became a property owner aged 80! 

Nursery fees are taking a large chunk currently.  Once they are over they look at paying the same amount into a savings account. Meanwhile see where else you could make cut-backs. Echoing an earlier comment £600 between you for 'personal spends' is probably on the high side if you wish to achieve other goals. 
  • Hammerhead17
    Options
    Thanks for the inputs all. I think we kind of knew what the answers would be but wanted to make sure we hadn't missed anything. 
    I am conscious that we could definitely cut back more. I just know how I felt when we were saving up for a deposit and I don't want to give up everything fun. I think the childcare is the biggest difference and until we can change that, we won't be able to increase our mortgage budget enough to move to anywhere that's worth spending the moving costs for.

• Bluebell1000
    Bluebell1000 Posts: 1,074 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 20 June 2023 at 8:09AM
    Options
    You've got a really good income, and it looks like you are used to spending accordingly. That's fine, of course - the key thing is you spend less than you earn! If you want to do something else with your income though, some of those categories are going to have to shift, so you could maybe sit down and look at your priorities.

As an example, my husband and I have £30 a month each for personal spends. Our entertainment and holiday budget is £120 a month, which also includes Disney plus (no TV licence). Our food budget (not including pet food) is £200 a month for 2 adults 2 children. We have one car, and it's an electric car via salary sacrifice through work, which costs nothing in fuel at the moment with solar panels, and maybe £10 a month in winter. As part of the package all servicing etc is included. We have a Lebara SIM only contract for just under £4 a month each. Gifts are £40 a month for everyone. So yes, your childcare is a lot, but you could shave a bit of various categories if you wanted to. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback