Heating and Cooling for the Next House - Solar - PV - Heat Pumps - AC

1234568»

Comments

• ecraig
    ecraig Posts: 208
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you take option 1 you have a 10.6kwh system but with the growatt ac dc box that can output a maximum of 3.2kwh. If you need such a big array surely your energy use surely is quite meaty. The 3.2kwh output from the battery on that ac dc box is tiny and will likely cause you annoyance…
    I’m talking from experience by the way. I wish I had an ac dc box that could deliver 6kwh power from my battery…
  • Second that, i went for solax as i have quite high energy usage and the alternative at the time was a GE inverter / battery which could only output 2.8kw. My inverter / battery can deliver 5.5kw, if i didnt have one that can deliver high power i would be drawing from grid on many occasions where i have a few things on at once.  Definitely something to consider!
  • bhjm
    bhjm Posts: 341
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    QrizB said:
    Is that from Mark at Light Renewables? He likes his grocer's apostrophe's!
    For what you're getting (which is a lot of solar and a big battery) both quotes look to be fair.
    Can you actually fit 26 410-watt panels on that roof? You're looking at something like 50 square metres of panel, but (based on the photo below) you've only got 30 square metres of roof?

the max quote with nearly 10kw is house, rear (photo above) plus few panels on the front of the house as well as 6 panels on the garage.
  • bhjm
    Forumite
    QrizB said:
    Is that from Mark at Light Renewables? He likes his grocer's apostrophe's!
    For what you're getting (which is a lot of solar and a big battery) both quotes look to be fair.
    Can you actually fit 26 410-watt panels on that roof? You're looking at something like 50 square metres of panel, but (based on the photo below) you've only got 30 square metres of roof?

thanks for educating me as a non-native English speaker - never heard of grocer`s apostrophe`s before
  • bhjm
    Forumite
    ecraig said:
    If you take option 1 you have a 10.6kwh system but with the growatt ac dc box that can output a maximum of 3.2kwh. If you need such a big array surely your energy use surely is quite meaty. The 3.2kwh output from the battery on that ac dc box is tiny and will likely cause you annoyance…
    I’m talking from experience by the way. I wish I had an ac dc box that could deliver 6kwh power from my battery…
    thanks for the valueable insight !
  • bhjm
    Forumite
    Hi all

I think I have made up my mind to 90% - I am sure fot the companies I am not the easiest customer :smiley: on the other hand I appreciate and honour those companies who are offering more than just a quoting an installation service, who support and advise when it comes to question and clarifications.

The thread will continue until at least the installation will be completed and I am satisfied everything is running properly.

I would like to thank again everyone who contributed, advised and explained things to me. Great Spirit here in this Forum :-)
  • bhjm
    Forumite
    2 inverter vs 1 inverter running long(45m) DC cable
    Hi Group - I am in 2 places with my mind.
    Shall I either - get 2 inverter (1 in house 1 in garage) or should I run a long DC cable to the garage and have the equipment installed there with 1 big inverter? whas your opinion?

mid terraced house , garage to the right hand side (also middle)
    Garage will receive solar as well.
    we are talking approx 9-10Kw of solar installation.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,660
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Assuming a string voltage of 300V DC or so, it doesn't really make any odds. Transmission losses will be similar whether you are squirting DC over that distance or AC.
    Having a separate inverter will cost a bit more and will mean twice as many things to go wrong, but means the chance of losing all your solar generation at once is drastically reduced.
    (If the chance of an inverter failing on any given day is 1 in 3000, the chance of one out of two failing is 1 in 1500 but the chance of both failing on the same day is 1 in 9 million.)
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Screwdriva
    Screwdriva Posts: 1,125
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Also, depends on the inverter brand in question!
    -  10 x 400w LG + 6 x 550W SHARP BiFacial Panels + SE 3680 HD Wave Inverter + SE Optimizers. SE London.
    -  Triple aspect. (22% ENE/ 33% SSE/ 45% WSW)
    -  Viessmann 200-W on Advanced Weather Comp. (the most efficient gas boiler sold)
  • bhjm
    Forumite
    QrizB said:
    Assuming a string voltage of 300V DC or so, it doesn't really make any odds. Transmission losses will be similar whether you are squirting DC over that distance or AC.
    Having a separate inverter will cost a bit more and will mean twice as many things to go wrong, but means the chance of losing all your solar generation at once is drastically reduced.
    (If the chance of an inverter failing on any given day is 1 in 3000, the chance of one out of two failing is 1 in 1500 but the chance of both failing on the same day is 1 in 9 million.)
    do you like math by any chance? :smiley:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure