Back for 2023: What's the best £1 you've ever spent?

Options
In the 2022 thread, some of the top examples you told me were:
  • "In the mid-1990s I spent £1 on a Moulinex hand mixer at a thrift market, and it's still going strong today!"
  • "30 years ago in a charity shop I bought what I thought was a cheap bracelet for £1. An evaluation showed it was Gold and Topaz and worth £460."
  • "I spent £1 on a nice wool jacket at a car boot sale. I wore it the next day and was pleased to find about £4 in change in the pocket."
I'd love to hear about more of your £1 bargains. Send 'em this way.

Comments

• af1963
    af1963 Posts: 198 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Paid £1 (or maybe even 99p) in 2015 for a phone app that tracks and maps my skiing - distance travelled on skis and on lifts, altitude, location, speed etc.  Have now used it on over 100 days, so daily cost has been under 1p.  And I think I only spent the £1 because I had some phone credit I needed to use up before switching providers.
  • patient_investor
    Options
    Bought one Bitcoin for £1 in 2011.
    Debt & mortgage free since 2011  |  Financial independence since 2017
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Bought the Whatsapp app for my phone back when it was 79p. Let me do tons of really useful communication things with my phone.
    Mind you they eventually  lowered the app price to zero pence.
    Which leaves me wondering who's paying to keep them going?
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I haven’t had the luck of some of the others sadly.  My best £1 spend was buying a nice wool jacket for a £1 at a big market/boot fair a few years ago from one of the traders.  i wore it the following week and found nearly £4 of change in one of the pockets.  Good profit percentage wise  :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback