We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

EON suddenly reporting to Equifax

Options
artyboy
artyboy Posts: 1,019 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
I'm 18 months into a 2 year fix with EON (well... Sainsbury's Energy, but same thing), and today I get a notification from Clearscore (ie Equifax) that they are about to start reporting my account with them.

They aren't currently on my Experian or Transunion files so is this a new thing for EON? I don't really care as all DD payments are in order. Just as long as being a few hundred quid in debit to them - not surprising coming out of winter - doesn't get viewed as a negative. 

Just hope that it doesn't impact my perfect 1000 credit score (yes, I'm joking of course  :D )

Comments

• fergie_
    fergie_ Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    British Gas already do this and if you are in debt to them, it shows like a loan basically.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Many utility companies already report to credit reference agencies, and have done for some time. They're just catching up.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • TheMilkmansDad
    Options
    and the "score" is completely meaningless.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 May 2023 at 12:55PM
    Options
    (The old) E.On always reported to Equifax and I was shocked when my SOLR'd account did not start reporting.  Today I got a notification from Clearscore of a new account and it was E.On Next.

• artyboy
    Options
    and the "score" is completely meaningless.
    Oh for heaven's sake... perhaps you missed my ever so subtle take on that point?  :s
  • artyboy
    Options
    And to everyone else... thanks, I suspected they might just have been catching up, fair to say they are more than a bit late in my case! 

Interesting if it does end up showing as a 'loan' - I can sort of see the argument for that, and for a few hundred quid it's neither here nor there to me. But for other people on tighter budgets, I guess it could negatively impact their ability to get credit. 

Which is perhaps not entirely appropriate given that the whole idea of a fixed DD is that you 'should' be flat over a period and it just smoothed out the seasonal variations. So the affordability aspect of your credit file will get no 'boost' for the months your energy account is in credit, but it could hit you for those months when you are in debit - even if you have a perfect payment history...
  • artyboy
    edited 5 June 2023 at 10:47AM
    Options
    In case it is affecting anyone else, it looks (admittedly based on very limited data) that EON is selectively reporting accounts as being an "Arrangement to Pay" (not good!). If you are using Clearscore to check your Equifax report, this may be displayed as a "Special Arrangement" but make no mistake, this is an AP, and is harmful to your credit file.

Unclear if this is based on customers being in debit, but given that's a perfectly normal aspect of a fixed DD arrangement to smooth out seasonal usage, it would be very concerning, not to mention misrepresenting the account. 

I started a separate thread so to avoid duplication, you might want to read this...

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6448714/equifax-what-does-special-arrangement-mean/p1
  • K_S
    K_S Posts: 6,760 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 6 June 2023 at 11:37AM
    Options
    Eon Next have started reporting to Equifax and appear to be reporting some accounts with a debit balance (entirely normal for this time of the year) as being on an 'Arrangement To Pay' which is an adverse marker that can cause issues when remortgaging or applying for other credit.

Please see this thread here.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6448714/equifax-what-does-special-arrangement-mean/p1

The Clearscore report is showing a more benign "Special Arrangement" but the actual Equifax report is showing as below.

If your report is showing the same and there's no valid reason for it, please consider making a formal email complaint to Eon Next at unhappy@eonnext.com
    https://www.eonnext.com/unhappy

I am a Mortgage Adviser - You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. 

PLEASE DO NOT SEND PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 15,104 Forumite
    Options
    Not the word "Score" which is a meaningless figure made up by the CRA's.
    It is never seen by lenders. Who are interested in Credit History (missed payments) & available debt to income figures.
    Life in the slow lane
  • K_S
    K_S Posts: 6,760 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 6 June 2023 at 11:38AM
    Options
    Not the word "Score" which is a meaningless figure made up by the CRA's.
    It is never seen by lenders. Who are interested in Credit History (missed payments) & available debt to income figures.
    @born_again Yes, ignore the score. But an AP marker is indeed something that lenders are interested in as it generally means that the customer is unable to keep up with payments and has agreed for and negotiated an arrangement.
    https://www.checkmyfile.com/articles/arrangement-to-pay-markers.htm#:~:text=An Arrangement to Pay marker effectively shows that the lender,out in the credit agreement.

Let me take that off though, else people will miss the point of the post.

I am a Mortgage Adviser - You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. 

PLEASE DO NOT SEND PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure