We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

SAGA Magazine lifetime subscription - compulsory shift to digital format

Options

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Be_Happy said:
    I wouldn't be surprised if Saga disappeared within the next 5 years.

I bought £1000 of shares when they floated in 2014 and they are now worth £50.   Having sold out too quickly with another company when share price fell and then rallied quickly after my selling, I held on to Saga shares as they fell.   When Covid came I made allowances for the effect it would have on their cruise, holiday and travel insurance business and hoped things might improve.   Now I'm just holding on to them as there's not much I can do.

I have house insurance and travel insurance with them, costing slightly more than elsewhere but I valued their dependability and good customer service.   Well they won't be getting renewed this year!

They regularly send me Satisfaction Surveys.   I look forward to the next one (if any).
    I think that about sums it up.  Saga relies on absolute trust and dependability to sell its overpriced products. 

This thread proves conclusively that Saga cannot be trusted even to meet its contractual obligations.  I know how I feel about that as a customer and potential further customer, and I can guess how its suppliers and other businesses it has relationships with might feel.

Once a company gets a reputation for being untrustworthy, it sticks.  I agree - Saga may well be on the way out. Euan Sutherland. its CEO, won't give a damn about that though - he'll have cleared off as quickly as he left his last two companies!

Who'd employ him with his track record?  Co-op, Superdry, Saga - what a record.
  • Money_Grabber13579
    Options
    Perhaps not the most influential rag but the Daily Mail has some coverage of this today. If other outlets also pick up the story, perhaps the negative publicity will be too much for them…

JEFF PRESTRIDGE: A sorry Saga - now even they are biased against old

https://mol.im/a/12155203
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • RobertAnthony51
    RobertAnthony51 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 June 2023 at 11:20AM
    Options
    I WROTE TO SAGA TO POINT OUT THE BREACH OF THEIR LIFETIME CONTRACT AND REQUEST THEY CONTINUE TO SUPPLY ME WITH MONTHLY PAPER COPIES AND HAVE HAD THIS FEABLE REPLY 

Dear Mr (Removed by Forum Team)

Thank you for your email regarding your lifetime subscription, I do apologise for the delay with our reply.

We’re sorry we have caused you upset over our decision to move to a digital lifetime subscription and offer to sign you up to our very good value paper subscription. We want you to continue to enjoy Saga Magazine. 

We understand this is disappointing but hope you will understand that we are trying to secure the future of the magazine.  As our CEO explained in the letter, costs have risen so much in recent years that we are now losing money on every copy we send out.  We have seen significant cost inflation for print and postage in the UK and it is 40% more expensive than even a year ago. 

It's now 30 years since we introduced lifetime subscriptions, the world has changed and moved ever more digital.  Switching these subscriptions to digital means that we can continue to produce the high-quality content that Saga Magazine is known for.  Our digital subscribers tell us they love the extra content not featured in the print version and being able to read back issues too along with an audio functionality.

Thank you for your understanding and for your continued support over the years.

Kind regards,

(Removed by Forum Team)

Saga Magazine
    Publishing
    0800 302 9791

ANY GOOD LAWYERS OUT THERE FANCY COMPILING A LIST OF LIFETIME SUBSCRIBERS INTERESTED IN TAKING A CLASS ACTION???
  • GingerTim
    GingerTim Posts: 2,073 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 6 June 2023 at 11:16AM
    Options
    Class actions do not exist in English law - the closest equivalent is a Group Litigation Order, but those are quite different.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If they don’t cave in, despite the damaging publicity they’re already getting in various places, which is going to cost them far more than posting out the magazines, I’ll be exploring the online claims County Court procedure. It’s simple enough, low cost, and I’ve got more than enough time to have some fun with it. Good practice, too, for anything more substantial that might crop up!  :D
  • logic33
    logic33 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Reply to RobertAnthony51 the originator of this thread.

I received much the same reply to my email - no real notice taken of my concerns about my 95 year old mother's subscription - which was cc to the CEO too who apparently asked subs department to deal with the email!  So much for care of older people and their continued support over the years.  Really and you think this will continue now? Or with the following generation who, incidentally, are getting old themselves - it happens!

I am sure they are getting a lot of emails because my first one was dealt with quite quickly.  The second automatic confirmation said it would take a while to reply because they were experiencing a considerable amount of emails at present. This was an even shorter dismissive reply concerning the cost of producing the magazine.

Submitted a review to Trustpilot which was answered, presumably automatically, with a request to go onto Saga Chat which doesn't deal with subscriptions - again not addressing the issue at all.  Incidentally, mainly 1 star reviews on there for Saga only good ones have been "invited" by Saga to put a review on presumably on signing up for insurance, etc. 

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,245 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

ANY GOOD LAWYERS OUT THERE FANCY COMPILING A LIST OF LIFETIME SUBSCRIBERS INTERESTED IN TAKING A CLASS ACTION???
    How many lifetime subscribers are there, is that information published?

I wonder if any good lawyers would be at all interested?  The number of subscribers willing to join any sort of group action, the relatively small sums of money involved in each case and (sadly, but realistically) the fact that a percentage of those subscribers will die in the next few years, would probably make any group action like that unattractive to a solicitor.  These things can drag on for years.

Has anyone actually been to see a solicitor for advice on their individual case yet, or is it one of those "who's going to put the bell on the cat" matters, where there's lots of noise and little action?
  • Balovale
    Options
    I joined in 1998 when there was no digital magazine and so expect to continue to receive the printed version as promised.  It is not as if they are not still producing the printed version.  It is not my fault that their costs have risen.  They should have thought about this when they offered the subscription. I do not want to lose the magazine, nor do i want to pay again and I certainly cannot read it on a digital device.

This is shoddy service.  Why can’t the CEO give up some of his annual ‘compensation’ of £2+ million if they are struggling to honour their commitment to their loyal followers?

Surely this is illegal?  How do we take the case further?  

• powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Balovale said:
    I joined in 1998 when there was no digital magazine and so expect to continue to receive the printed version as promised.  It is not as if they are not still producing the printed version.  It is not my fault that their costs have risen.  They should have thought about this when they offered the subscription. I do not want to lose the magazine, nor do i want to pay again and I certainly cannot read it on a digital device.

This is shoddy service.  Why can’t the CEO give up some of his annual ‘compensation’ of £2+ million if they are struggling to honour their commitment to their loyal followers?

Surely this is illegal?  How do we take the case further?  

Already discussed. Letter before Action, then to the Small Claims Court. You will need evidence though to show that the original contract has been breached.

• km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,424 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You cannot force them.to honour the original contract other than by getting a 'specific performance' order from a court - and courts are very reluctant to do that

What a court might do is award you your losses (not damages) which you should now quantify. SAGA still produce the printed version so.your losses would be the cost of you buying 'n' issues going forward

Once you have this figure, reply with a LBA and then small claims procedure.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure