We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

SAGA Magazine lifetime subscription - compulsory shift to digital format

Options

Comments

• Mariamia
    Mariamia Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I have my original copy  of the letter from Saga magazine which says l will get 12 copies a year  "delivered to my door ", not digital and for LIFE (their capitals).
    My emails to Saga complaining about their withdrawal of this offer have been responded to by a standard email stating their position that we are having our offer ended with June issue. Disgraceful #Saga magazine 
  • Mariamia
    First Post
    Options
     have my original copy  of the letter from Saga magazine which says l will get 12 copies a year  "delivered to my door ", not digital and for LIFE (their capitals).
    My emails to Saga complaining about their withdrawal of this offer have been responded to by a standard email stating their position that we are having our offer ended with June issue. Disgraceful #Saga magazine 
  • Mariamia
    First Post
    Options
    Please go to Robert Anthony 51 thread for main discussion,  and to comment further,  this was not meant to be separate to main forum, I'm a newby to this site 🤣🤣
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 15,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Life in the slow lane
  • MSE_Laura_F
    MSE_Laura_F Posts: 1,575 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I've merged two threads. Thanks, MSE Laura F
  • martonmegan
    Options
    This is a copy of a letter I wrote to Mr Sutherland.   

Thank you for your letter of the 16th May 2023. Which I read with the utmost dismay.   

When Saga was struggling three decades ago I and other loyal readers paid a lump sum of money to aid the company and entitle us to a lifetime readership at no extra cost. This was to continue as a printed copy as no such digital electronic services were available. 

I do do not wish to receive my magazine digitally. I have a problem with my eyesight in that I have Neuropathy which also affects my eyes in that I cannot do screen reading. 

Theredore i would expect Saga to do the honorable thing and reinstate my legal right to have a paper copy posted to my home as I contracted to do with your company three decades ago. 

I look forward to hearing that you that you will be reinstating my lifetime subscription hard copy. 
  • Smallprintman
    Options
    In pursuing Saga I rely on their letter confirming they will "ensure" I "receive" the magazine for life.  Both parties agreed for Saga to deliver the printed magazine each month. Further evidence is they have done so for 20 years!  In recent years Saga has sought twice to persuade me to shift to digital - unnecessary if they have the contractual right to do so.  The court will take a dim view of their crude attempt now to force a change to the contract.
    I cannot receive the magazine in digital format, yet Saga made no effort to know my circumstances before making its diktat - a clear failure to "ensure" I "receive".
    I fear emails of indignation will not cut ice with the Sutherland regime at Saga.  Do as I have done and send a letter before action.  If my paper copy is not restored I shall sue seeking an order for specific performance.  This is a discretionary remedy but relevant factors are:- 1. the history, and now blatant breach of contract at short notice; 2. impossibility of assessing damages given the uncertainty of my life's duration; 3. simplicity of compliance with the contract - the magazine is still printed and all Saga needs to do is keep sending it.
    Don't hold back.  This company is behaving despicably.  If enough of us take action and involve the media the commercial realites will sink in.  Their reputation is at risk of calamity. 
  • SANDLES_2
    Options
    If they want to save money on print and postage why have I had four 19 page booklets on cruises, two letters for travel insurance, which I have never requested, posted to me.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,757 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SANDLES_2 said:
    If they want to save money on print and postage why have I had four 19 page booklets on cruises, two letters for travel insurance, which I have never requested, posted to me.
    SAGA are well known for bombarding those on their client list with holiday brochures etc. Given the cost of their holidays, it is probable that this business model works for them generating income. The cost of producing and mailing the magazine may be more than the income it generates, or (more probably) the income may no longer be as much as SAGA would like.

I wouldn't be surprised if the hardcopy holiday brochures disappear within the next 5 years.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Be_Happy
    Be_Happy Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 3 June 2023 at 7:31PM
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if Saga disappeared within the next 5 years.

I bought £1000 of shares when they floated in 2014 and they are now worth £50.   Having sold out too quickly with another company when share price fell and then rallied quickly after my selling, I held on to Saga shares as they fell.   When Covid came I made allowances for the effect it would have on their cruise, holiday and travel insurance business and hoped things might improve.   Now I'm just holding on to them as there's not much I can do.

I have house insurance and travel insurance with them, costing slightly more than elsewhere but I valued their dependability and good customer service.   Well they won't be getting renewed this year!

They regularly send me Satisfaction Surveys.   I look forward to the next one (if any).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback