🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

SAGA Magazine lifetime subscription - compulsory shift to digital format

Options

Comments

• km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 29 May 2023 at 3:50PM
    Options
    I think it is quite clear they owe you a paper copy for life so yes complain and say that you expect them to send one or you will have to buy them from the shop and sue them for the cost

As an example ask for £120 x cost of magazine (ie 10 yrs worth)
  • GingerTim
    GingerTim Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    km1500 said:
    I think it is quite clear they owe you a paper copy for life so yes complain and say that you expect them to send one or you will have to buy them from the shop and sue them for the cost

But you can't buy SAGA Magazine in the shops...
  • Professor_M
    Options
    Does anyone have a copy of the Lifetime Subscription T&Cs from 20+ years ago?
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    GingerTim said:
    km1500 said:

But you can't buy SAGA Magazine in the shops...
    But you can still buy a subscription to it for £30pa! They’re not going to win this one.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Not sure there were any T&Cs as such. We know what the letter of acceptance said, but we don’t yet have the offer which would have appeared in the magazine. It would come out in the very unlikely event of a court hearing as part of the disclosure process, but my guess is that it talked about copies being posted to your home address, or some equivalent wording. There was no other means of transmission when most of these life memberships were taken out.

Given the age profile, logic would suggest that Saga would be better off just allowing everyone to die off than deal with the reputational hit!
  • Professor_M
    Options
    Doc_N said:
    Not sure there were any T&Cs as such. We know what the letter of acceptance said, but we don’t yet have the offer which would have appeared in the magazine. It would come out in the very unlikely event of a court hearing as part of the disclosure process, but my guess is that it talked about copies being posted to your home address, or some equivalent wording. There was no other means of transmission when most of these life memberships were taken out.

Given the age profile, logic would suggest that Saga would be better off just allowing everyone to die off than deal with the reputational hit!
    Thanks, and I agree, Saga would have been better just stopping lifetime membership for new subscribers, and let existing subscribers run the course.

The most pragmatic advice above is small claims court action for specific "quantifiable losses", e.g. 20 years at £29.95 per year (the current paper printed version fee), plus a reasonable figure for inflation.

Do you know where a copy of an acceptance letter can be found? I'm certain i haven't kept it.
  • Username81
    Options

Do you know where a copy of an acceptance letter can be found? I'm certain i haven't kept it.

Below is text from two letters, each signed “Roger De Haan, Chairman”.  

Dear XXX   November 1999

It is my pleasure to welcome you as a Life member of the Saga Club. Your records have now been updated to ensure that you will receive 12 issues per year of the Saga Magazine for Life. We will be sending you a membership card within the next twenty eight days.

Dear XXX   November 1999

I have pleasure in enclosing your new Life membership card. Your new membership card entitles you to receive twelve copies of Saga Magazine for life.
  • Username81
    Options
    Sorry, Last sentence should read -
    Your new membership card entitles you to receive twelve copies of Saga per year for life.
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Your new membership card entitles you to receive twelve copies of Saga per year for life.
    ...so they will be emailing you twelve copies a year to your inbox for the rest of your days whether you want them or not.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,990 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Alderbank said:
    ...so they will be emailing you twelve copies a year to your inbox for the rest of your days whether you want them or not.
    One wonders what those subscribers who do not have e-mail or means of accessing a digital version of the magazine are expected to do ? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure