New Post Advanced Search

Making pastry

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
326 replies 40K views

Replies

• To clarify. If I'm using a food processor for pastry, I put the fat and flour in together and whizz with the metal blade, then add water out of the fridge until it binds it. Is that right? I haven't really got to grips with how to get the best out of my food processor.

Yes, that's how I do it although I think you're supposed to mix the water in by hand so as not to overmix. As soon as it starts to clump (sorry, technical term), together, tip it out but make sure it's a nice soft ball not too dry.

If you're doing anything with cheese, grate that in the processor first and tip it out. Bit of cheese in your pastry is a bonus, if you do it the other way round, the cheese sticks to the bowl.
  • squeakysqueaky Forumite
    14.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. Mine says as soon as it makes a single (or sometimes double) lump - it's ready for working, so I add the water at a slow trickle so as not to overdo it and get sticky dough... and that's it. Done :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • mogginsmoggins Forumite
    5.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use half fat to flour and one whole egg, never had to add water and I do the whole lot from start to finish in my processor, only removing it when it has balled together in the bowl. Never had bad pastry yet.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Alison_BAlison_B Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I want to make some pasties for lunch today and I have looked in all my cookery books but cannot find a recipe for pastry. It has been a while since I have made pastry and I cannot remember the quantity of ingredients. Can anyone help please.
  • squeakysqueaky Forumite
    14.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure. :)

Go to the Be-ro site in the link below and then click on pastry in the menu on the right hand side. You can decide which pastry you'd like to make and the ingredients and full instructions are all there. (Elsewhere in the recipe lists you'll find one for cornish pasties too :))

If you need a memory jog there's a link to baking basics on the left hand side of the page, and, if you like the site you can order a book of the whole site from the address given in their "about us page" which comes well recommended.

:)

Be-ro website
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Shotcrust:

8 oz plain flour + pinch salt
    4 oz fat (cold)
    cold water to mix to a soft dough

Quick Flaky

8 oz plain flour + pinch salt
    8oz fat
    cold water to mix

For shortcrust, rub fat into flour until breadcrumbs (completely blended), Slowly add water to mix to dough and roll out. Easiest in food processor

For quick flaky, I rub about a quarter of the fat into the flour, then cut the rest into small dice and stir in, mix in the water, gather together, roll gently into an oblong and fold into three. Put in a plastic bag and chill, roll and fold couple more times.

HTH
  • Alison_BAlison_B Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Squeaky, that is a brilliant site. Thanks. Will take a good look at it later on.
  • troll35troll35 Forumite
    712 posts
    ✭✭
    Like magentasue I use 1/2 the amount of fat to flour, but I use milk to mix instead of water and get pastry with an even better texture.
    I like to live in cloud cuckoo land :hello:
  • Made some mince pies today. I haven't made pastry for years, and it came out ok save for being a little on the crumbly side when I rolled it out. Could anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I used 8oz of plain flour, 4oz lard and 4 teaspoons water. Any advice gratefully received before I start on the next batch.
  • KatgoddessKatgoddess Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Not enough liquid maybe? I tend to make mine a bit wetter then add the flour as I'm rolling it out to make it less sticky if you see what I mean.
    :heart: "A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for." :heart: