New Post Advanced Search

Making pastry

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
326 replies 40K views

Replies

• LoadsabobLoadsabob Forumite
    662 posts
    ✭✭
    Yay! This is great news, and it gives me encouragement, as my pastry tends to be a bit hard! And what a productive day you've had, my mouth is watering!
  • MATHMATH Forumite
    2.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    WTG:T Making pastry is like riding a bike except you don't get the wind through your hair or have to tuck one trouser leg in ya sock...In fact it's nothing like riding a bike but once you've cracked you've cracked it for good. :D
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • honeyhoney Forumite
    703 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    catkins wrote:

Quite pleased with myself today - hopefully at last got the hang of pastry (at my age it's about time!), have made bread (by hand), spicy chickpea and potato pasties, goats cheese and red onion tarlets and banana muffins. Cor won't hubby be pleased when he gets in (he likes his food!)

Thanks again

Wow! That lot sounds yummy. Well done you :beer:

p.s. can I come for tea?!!!!
  • apprentice_tycoonapprentice_tycoon Forumite
    3.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    catkins wrote:
    I posted on here a few weeks ago because my pastry is always a disaster. Quite a few of you kindly took the time to give advice and today I tried again and success!!!! I made it in the food processor and used one of the recipes given that included an egg yolk. Left it to chill in the fridge and if I say so myself perfect. Haven't tasted it yet but it looks good.

Quite pleased with myself today - hopefully at last got the hang of pastry (at my age it's about time!), have made bread (by hand), spicy chickpea and potato pasties, goats cheese and red onion tarlets and banana muffins. Cor won't hubby be pleased when he gets in (he likes his food!)

Thanks again

Could you write up recipes for the pasties and goats cheese tartlets, sounds to be just what I'm looking for..thanks!
  • QueenieQueenie Forumite
    8.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    :T Well done, catkins! :T

I did wonder how you'd got on or if you'd given up all hope! LOL
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • catkinscatkins Forumite
    5.7K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    The recipe for the pasties is as follows:-

Chop and fry onion (I use half an onion and make about 6 reasonably size pasties). I then add some cubed cooked potato, some garlic and some sort of seasoning (I usually use ground coriander and ground cumin, sometimes chilli powder) then I add cooked chickpeas. Let this filling cool a bit and put in pastry circles.

Sorry if it sounds a bit vague but I don't weight the ingredients I just guess them.

The goats cheese and red onion tartlets I make as follows:

Make the pastry and line individual tart tins. Bake the pastry. Chop red onion fairly small and then fry very gently for about 20 minutes. You do not want the onion to brown as such. Where it "sweats" it makes its own juices and when it has cooled a bit spoon the mixture into the tart tins. Sometimes if the onion seems a bit dry I might add a small amount of cream. Slice the goats cheese fairly thickly and put a slice on top of each tart. Return to the oven for about 20 minutes (180 temp).

Hope that makes sense.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • miacatmiacat Forumite
    4K posts
    i usually buy jus roll pastry, :o only because i can't make it. but because i am doing my best to be os, i keep having a go but it does'nt work for me. the problem is rolling out, the pastry breaks up, does this mean it is too rich. :confused: also i make it by hand, is there a technique. i am saving up for a food processer and wonder if this would make a difference. i am sure there are alot of experienced pastry makers out there who can help.
  • arkonite_babearkonite_babe Forumite
    7.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi miacat

Would any of these help you out?

- Pastry is a disaster
    - Puff pastry keeps going flat
    - Whats the difference?

They are all listed in the Mega Index at the top of the Old Style board.

HTH

a_b
  • frostyfrosty Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    when I make pastry I use 8oz plain flour
    5oz stork (block margarine)
    pinch of salt
    ice cold water

place flour into a bowl,cut margarine into small cubes,rub margarine into the flour until it looks like fine breadcrumbs,mix in the salt, add enough water to bind it together,put the pastry in a plastic bag and chill for about half an hour,this always works for me.Hope it works for you miacat.
  • black-saturnblack-saturn
    13.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use Just Roll Pastry most of the time too. It's much less hassle than making it yourself and costs about the same.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004