Good (and short!) explanation of COPE

Options
There are lots of queries about COPE cropping up regularly. This is one of the better, not to mention shorter, explanations I could find which might help: https://www.wypf.org.uk/pensioner/all-about-my-pension/contracted-out-pension-equivalent-cope-amount/
Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks @Marcon - I have made this sticky
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • leosayer
    leosayer Posts: 363 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for posting, although I think that the inclusion of the COPE figure in the state pension statements leads more to confusion than being of practical help.

Is this part correct?:

"The COPE amount will be paid as part of a customer’s workplace or personal pension scheme(s). It will usually be part of their total pension benefits under the scheme, and not identified separately." 

Isn't this identified via the GMP amount on DB pension statements?
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have COPE but not for a DB pension
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,691 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    leosayer said:
    Thanks for posting, although I think that the inclusion of the COPE figure in the state pension statements leads more to confusion than being of practical help.

Is this part correct?:

"The COPE amount will be paid as part of a customer’s workplace or personal pension scheme(s). It will usually be part of their total pension benefits under the scheme, and not identified separately." 

Not quite. Please read the section on my link headed 

Will a customer receive this exact COPE amount?

which will explain.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Snot
    Snot Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    leosayer said:

My understanding is GMP only related to pre 1997 employment whereas COPE goes to 2016. So with service after 1997 the GMP and COPE values may be completely different.

• KimberleyClark
    Options
    I'm in the process of repaying past years of NI contributions and I've been told the maximum amount of state pension I can achieve is £203 per week as this is the maximum amount currently. My husband retired 5 years ago and his pension is currently £211 per week; I think this is something to do with COPE but I can't find out what or why. I was also contracted out of SERPS for a period of time, so if it is, will I get more than the stated £203? 
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,837 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm in the process of repaying past years of NI contributions and I've been told the maximum amount of state pension I can achieve is £203 per week as this is the maximum amount currently. My husband retired 5 years ago and his pension is currently £211 per week; I think this is something to do with COPE but I can't find out what or why. I was also contracted out of SERPS for a period of time, so if it is, will I get more than the stated £203? 
    Your husband must have been 'contracted in' and built up enough SERPS/S2P prior to the introduction of the new State Pension in 2016 that his 'starting amount' (the higher of the two amounts calculated under the old and new rules) exceeded the new State Pension maximum - he therefore has the new maximum plus a 'protected amount'.
    The new State Pension: How it's calculated - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Anyone who reached State Pension Age after the introduction of the nSP and did not have a starting amount that was higher than the maximum as at April 2016 cannot get more than that now. 
  • marky_b_2
    marky_b_2 Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the guide but I’m still a little confused.

This is my state pension forecast..

You need to continue to contribute National Insurance to reach your forecast

Estimate based on your National Insurance record up to 5 April 2023

£191.60 a week

Forecast if you contribute another 3 years before 5 April 2040

£203.85 a week

£203.85 is the most you can get

Contracted Out Pension Equivalent (COPE)

Your COPE estimate is £31.48 a week

This will not affect your State Pension forecast. The COPE amount is paid as part of your other pension schemes, not by the government.

Does this mean that my state pension payment will be £203.85 - £31.48 = £172.37 per week?

And that I should receive the COPE amount via my civil service pension once I start receiving my state pension? 

I take it the COPE amount wouldn’t be paid before state pension age or would it be paid once I take my work pension?

Thanks

Money saving newbie but learning fast:D
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,691 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 26 May 2023 at 6:07PM
    Options
    marky_b_2 said:
    Thanks for the guide but I’m still a little confused.

This is my state pension forecast..

You need to continue to contribute National Insurance to reach your forecast

Estimate based on your National Insurance record up to 5 April 2023

£191.60 a week

Forecast if you contribute another 3 years before 5 April 2040

£203.85 a week

£203.85 is the most you can get

Contracted Out Pension Equivalent (COPE)

Your COPE estimate is £31.48 a week

This will not affect your State Pension forecast. The COPE amount is paid as part of your other pension schemes, not by the government.

Does this mean that my state pension payment will be £203.85 - £31.48 = £172.37 per week?

Your COPE estimate is £31.48 a week. This will not affect your State Pension forecast.

And that I should receive the COPE amount via my civil service pension once I start receiving my state pension? 

You will receive an amount in lieu of the COPE estimate.

I take it the COPE amount wouldn’t be paid before state pension age or would it be paid once I take my work pension?

The COPE amount is simply an estimate of how much your State Additional Pension is reduced because you contracted out. Please read the guide in the first post on this thread to understand more.

Hope the above helps, but if not, please have a browse on the very many other threads on this forum which should help to clarify.

Alternatively, just completely ignore the COPE figure - it doesn't impact on the state pension figures shown, or on the amount you will receive from your work pension.  In short, it does little but confuse!
  • marky_b_2
    marky_b_2 Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah Marcon, confusing.

For me what seems to be confusing is that if I qualify for full state pension (unreduced) if I work another 3 years is that the text says my COPE will be paid in my works pension.

Would that not mean that you are getting a double COPE payment, as if I qualify and receive the full state pension but also receive the COPE payment again via my work pension? that’s why I was wondering if the COPE is taken off the state to be paid via work pension.

If I can get the figure of £203 at the moment with 3 more years service then that’s fine.

Cheers
    Money saving newbie but learning fast:D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport