We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

A catalogue of trial, error and advice

Options

Comments

• twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,768 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    If you can stow away a lot of debris out of sight hedgehogs may hibernate there and rbins like it to nest in.
    Fanciful? 
    Worked for me  :)

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,393 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 14 May 2023 at 11:23AM
    Options
    RAS said:
    Don't compost privet, the leaves contain a plant inhibitor which is why very little will grow under or near it. This is washed off the leaves into the ground near the plant. Maybe shred and pile somewhere separate for a lot longer .
    Thanks - like I said, a lot to learn :) 

When I decide what to do, I'll probably still leave any clippings heaped up somewhere, but as I'm not really planning on 'working' the garden (i.e veggies or the like) I was thinking more as a safe place to put any slow worms I disturb than anything else.

I might invest in a compost 'bin' somewhere for the relatively small amount of proper compost I'll need to mulch around the trees and fruit bushes I'm thinking about, then leave the buddliea and privet trimmings in that back corner to be a habitat for things that wouldn't enjoy me turning it over?

Though, other than grass cuttings and autumn leaves, I'm not sure what I'm going to have to make compost from.  
    From kitchen prepping, uncooked cabbage/ cauli / green veg trimmings, lettuce, soggy cucumber "ends", squishy tomatoes, apple cores etc In fact, any uncooked veg or fruit bought for eating but not used

I'd avoid eggshells, they can attract rats

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Loo rolls, torn cardboard, shredded paper bills, shredded twigs etc,
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Teapot55
    Teapot55 Posts: 738 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    @Farway on eggshells in the compost attracting rats we’re careful to put only eggshells from raw eggs in our compost. 

If we have had boiled eggs or if we’re peeling hard-boiled eggs they’ll have fragments of cooked egg which will definitely attract rats. Those ‘cooked’ eggshells go into this week’s food waste bag in the freezer (along with chicken bones, fish bones and dinner plate leftovers) then out on a Tuesday night in the food waste bin collected by the council. 

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
  • ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Options
    twopenny said:
    If you can stow away a lot of debris out of sight hedgehogs may hibernate there and rbins like it to nest in.
    Fanciful? 
    Worked for me  :)
    I'm conflicted - apparently one of the main predators of slow worms are hedgehogs. 

Farway said:
    RAS said:
    Don't compost privet, the leaves contain a plant inhibitor which is why very little will grow under or near it. This is washed off the leaves into the ground near the plant. Maybe shred and pile somewhere separate for a lot longer .
    Thanks - like I said, a lot to learn :) 

When I decide what to do, I'll probably still leave any clippings heaped up somewhere, but as I'm not really planning on 'working' the garden (i.e veggies or the like) I was thinking more as a safe place to put any slow worms I disturb than anything else.

I might invest in a compost 'bin' somewhere for the relatively small amount of proper compost I'll need to mulch around the trees and fruit bushes I'm thinking about, then leave the buddliea and privet trimmings in that back corner to be a habitat for things that wouldn't enjoy me turning it over?

Though, other than grass cuttings and autumn leaves, I'm not sure what I'm going to have to make compost from.  
    From kitchen prepping, uncooked cabbage/ cauli / green veg trimmings, lettuce, soggy cucumber "ends", squishy tomatoes, apple cores etc In fact, any uncooked veg or fruit bought for eating but not used

I'd avoid eggshells, they can attract rats

Thanks. I've been having a look around and it seems this style is the most popular/highly recommended of the type I'm probably looking for. Now to decide if I want to break out the tools and make it or just buy one flat pack. Slightly depressingly, looking at the current price of pressure treated wood and delivery, buying it pre-cut might be cheaper. 

I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Find four broken pallets, fix three together with tie wraps and nail a strut to support the top and bottom of the open side. You could use up any more decent slats to form a partial door/retainer on the open side.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • ArbitraryRandom
    edited 14 May 2023 at 1:56PM
    Options
    RAS said:
    Find four broken pallets, fix three together with tie wraps and nail a strut to support the top and bottom of the open side. You could use up any more decent slats to form a partial door/retainer on the open side.
    Good shout, but that's harder than it might sound around here - lots of people have fires/stoves and from what I can tell last winter spooked enough people that they're already starting to stockpile anything that will burn.

I put some old architrave out the front to the to the tip and I had someone knocking on the door within the hour asking if they could have it (Yes, I know people shouldn't be burning old painted wood).  

I guess I could always wait until I order stuff that comes on pallets :D
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • ArbitraryRandom
    edited 14 May 2023 at 2:06PM
    Options
    Can I get help with a plant identification?  Most of what's left down that end of the garden is easy enough to identify, but I'm not sure what this (directly under the buddleia is. Leaves are distinctly arrow shaped, most around the size of a hand with closed fingers, and but couple of leaves are bigger than a dinner plate. Lords-and-ladies? Sorrel? Something else?

• twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,768 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Goid point but make sure the wood/pallets are untreated.
    Learned that on this site  :D 

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,393 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Can I get help with a plant identification?  Most of what's left down that end of the garden is easy enough to identify, but I'm not sure what this (directly under the buddleia is. Leaves are distinctly arrow shaped, most around the size of a hand with closed fingers, and but couple of leaves are bigger than a dinner plate. Lords-and-ladies? Sorrel? Something else?

Lords & ladies, weed, pest or interesting species growing in the garden, take your pick. I leave mine because it is within bounds and there are not any toddlers about to sample the red berries
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure