We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

A catalogue of trial, error and advice

Options

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,642 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Why don't you just reuse the slabs?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Options
    In short, because it's the wrong size and in the wrong part of the garden. 

I was considering extending the patio down that far, but then I'd have to raise the rest of it up to be level, and that would probably cost more than breaking it up. Plus then there'd be a step between it and the lawn, which I'd put money on me cursing every time I tripped. 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,899 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That hedge looks like privet to me. Can you post up a close up photo?

If it is, cutting one side now would be a good idea.

It grows like topsy, and if you cut back the new shots at 80-100mm, you get a good looking hedge by the autumn. Then late winter take the height down 50cms below your preferred height, and the top will regenerate in couple of months. 
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Teapot55
    Teapot55 Posts: 738 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm trying to work out an 'order of works' and I wonder if you could help with some what to do and when to do type suggestions? 
    I think you’ve done the most important job of your schedule first, which is getting rid of the bramble(s). 

Next could be some decisions about whether or not to use harsh chemicals such as weedkiller again or insecticides because if not the wildlife and especially bees and birds will thrive in your new garden. (Probably better to use physical methods like cutting right down to below the ground as mentioned in a previous post). 

Then look for bindweed. It doesn’t present a hazard like the thorns on a bramble and the flowers are pretty and attractive to bees etc but if not regularly pulled back it will try to take over. 

(Just a few thoughts on your initial moves). 

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
  • ArbitraryRandom
    Options
    RAS said:
    That hedge looks like privet to me. Can you post up a close up photo?
    It certainly is privet, and just about to flower. I've been having a poke around and can't see any nests, probably because I have seen about 5 cats (other than mine) in the garden in the last week alone. 

The previous owner, for some known only to them reason, decided to plant a pyracantha in the front garden and it's ripped me to shreds every time I've as much as looked at it. I'm hoping a local gardener will pop over sometime in the week to quote for getting rid (plus some other little jobs that are best done with the right tools). I'll ask his view re if it's worth trimming the hedges now or waiting to do the lot at once. 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • ArbitraryRandom
    Options
    Teapot55 said:
    I'm trying to work out an 'order of works' and I wonder if you could help with some what to do and when to do type suggestions? 
    Next could be some decisions about whether or not to use harsh chemicals such as weedkiller again or insecticides because if not the wildlife and especially bees and birds will thrive in your new garden. (Probably better to use physical methods like cutting right down to below the ground as mentioned in a previous post). 
    It certainly isn't my preference, but neither is digging down either really. 

I think now the inch thick stems are dying back it should be easy enough to deal with regrowth as it happens. They're growing through the hedges so I'm not expecting to completely eradicate brambles (and I wouldn't want to - I like the odd blackberry!) - just for them not to be taller than I am and taking up a third of the garden. 

Same with the bind weed really - It's definitely running through the hedges, but I'm not planning on having many plants as such (only really the trees and I can keep those clear by hand) so it won't find much to climb. I understand from my reading, rotting it in water makes a good edition to the compost heap. 

Which is another thing I need to read up on! I'm going to have a lot of 'brown' from the hedge, then grass cuttings as I strim it, plus bindweed tea... and possibly half a buddleia. 
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,899 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't compost privet, the leaves contain a plant inhibitor which is why very little will grow under or near it. This is washed off the leaves into the ground near the plant. Maybe shred and pile somewhere separate for a lot longer .

Privet, you can cut back right into the structure and it starts to resprout with weeks. I tackled a 3m high hedge with long regrowths from about 1.2m where trunks were hacked a few years ago. I cut the 2-3metre growths back rather randomly at different lengths to encourage it to resprout from different heights. It's beginning to bulk out, although Covid stopped me thickening it up last summer and autumn.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • ArbitraryRandom
    edited 13 May 2023 at 11:01PM
    Options
    RAS said:
    Don't compost privet, the leaves contain a plant inhibitor which is why very little will grow under or near it. This is washed off the leaves into the ground near the plant. Maybe shred and pile somewhere separate for a lot longer .
    Thanks - like I said, a lot to learn :) 

When I decide what to do, I'll probably still leave any clippings heaped up somewhere, but as I'm not really planning on 'working' the garden (i.e veggies or the like) I was thinking more as a safe place to put any slow worms I disturb than anything else.

I might invest in a compost 'bin' somewhere for the relatively small amount of proper compost I'll need to mulch around the trees and fruit bushes I'm thinking about, then leave the buddliea and privet trimmings in that back corner to be a habitat for things that wouldn't enjoy me turning it over?

Though, other than grass cuttings and autumn leaves, I'm not sure what I'm going to have to make compost from.  
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,952 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    ArbitraryRandom said: The previous owner, for some known only to them reason, decided to plant a pyracantha in the front garden and it's ripped me to shreds every time I've as much as looked at it. I'm hoping a local gardener will pop over sometime in the week to quote for getting rid (plus some other little jobs that are best done with the right tools).
    If you are ripping out an old concrete shed base and digging out a new one, it may pay to hire a mini-digger plus operator for the day. Get them to rip out the pyracantha and turn the soil over.
    You'd be surprised just how much can be done in a single day with an experienced operator - Last time I had one, it cost me £250, but it was worth every penny.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • ArbitraryRandom
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    ArbitraryRandom said: The previous owner, for some known only to them reason, decided to plant a pyracantha in the front garden and it's ripped me to shreds every time I've as much as looked at it. I'm hoping a local gardener will pop over sometime in the week to quote for getting rid (plus some other little jobs that are best done with the right tools).
    If you are ripping out an old concrete shed base and digging out a new one, it may pay to hire a mini-digger plus operator for the day. Get them to rip out the pyracantha and turn the soil over.
    You'd be surprised just how much can be done in a single day with an experienced operator - Last time I had one, it cost me £250, but it was worth every penny.

There's only a 3 foot passage down the side of the house unfortunately, but I am currently googling tool hire to see if I can get one of those big drill things to break it up over a weekend. If I can get it broken up then I can (slowly) shift it into the front then hire a skip to get rid. Or at least that's my current line of thought. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure