Reducing allocation of Nectar Points by the Daily Mail

Options

Had a surprise this morning.  Went to enter my unique numbers off the back of the Daily Mail to get my Nectar Points and was presented with a "Wheel of Fortune".

I am and have been a subscriber to the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday for a long time now,  The main perks for me besides the reduced price of paying upfront were the daily allocation of Nectar points.  Because I am a "subby" I was getting double - so 10 points per day.  This figure is lower than in previous years.  Since the parting of ways with the likes of Tesco and the vouchers, the Mail joined up with Nectar.  It started out as being reasonably attractive but over time the number of points allocated have been eroded and of course the cost of the newspaper has increased.

I'm afraid the Mail have taken a step too far now.  This morning I span the wheel for the first time and guess what I got - a paltry 2 points and no longer doubled up, so no point in really being a subby from that perspective.  I am being treated no better than a casual reader.

I suspect that the laws of averages may give me a maximum 10 every now and again, but overall the deal has lost its shine and its time to call it a day and save some money.

If they don't return to something like it was prior to this stupid new system then I'm off.  It's just not worth it.  The Mail is becoming a miserable read anyway.

Comments

• Shanker
    Shanker Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Had a surprise this morning.  Went to enter my unique numbers off the back of the Daily Mail to get my Nectar Points and was presented with a "Wheel of Fortune".

I am and have been a subscriber to the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday for a long time now,  The main perks for me besides the reduced price of paying upfront were the daily allocation of Nectar points.  Because I am a "subby" I was getting double - so 10 points per day.  This figure is lower than in previous years.  Since the parting of ways with the likes of Tesco and the vouchers, the Mail joined up with Nectar.  It started out as being reasonably attractive but over time the number of points allocated have been eroded and of course the cost of the newspaper has increased.

I'm afraid the Mail have taken a step too far now.  This morning I span the wheel for the first time and guess what I got - a paltry 2 points and no longer doubled up, so no point in really being a subby from that perspective.  I am being treated no better than a casual reader.

I suspect that the laws of averages may give me a maximum 10 every now and again, but overall the deal has lost its shine and its time to call it a day and save some money.

If they don't return to something like it was prior to this stupid new system then I'm off.  It's just not worth it.  The Mail is becoming a miserable read anyway.

• MorningcoffeeIV
    Options
    Shanker said:

It's just not worth it.  The Mail is becoming a miserable read anyway.

That's a little harsh.

It's always been a miserable read.
  • Shanker
    Options
    Shanker said:

It's just not worth it.  The Mail is becoming a miserable read anyway.

That's a little harsh.

It's always been a miserable read.
    Yes.  I enjoy Littlejohn when he goes off on one and that's about it now.

The alternatives are pretty much as low quality or too expensive.  I suppose I can get all my accurate and true news from Facebook and the Internet from now on.  I might even try the BBC, (my tongue is tightly tucked into my cheek!).
  • Betterthanpar
    Options
    Totally agree with Shanker. I suspect it’s a deliberate policy by the Mail to discourage “subbies” from claiming Nectar points so they can ultimately  stop them altogether? I’ll wait a while to see if they introduce any bonus point offers before I pack it in. So far I’ve managed 2x4’s on the “wheel of fortune”,which is disappointing.
  • Shanker
    Options
    Totally agree with Shanker. I suspect it’s a deliberate policy by the Mail to discourage “subbies” from claiming Nectar points so they can ultimately  stop them altogether? I’ll wait a while to see if they introduce any bonus point offers before I pack it in. So far I’ve managed 2x4’s on the “wheel of fortune”,which is disappointing.
    I bought in on the subby deal quite early on so at the moment my payment is £26.80/month.  So I reckon on subscription I'm saving at the moment about £1.22 per week.  But, I'm still spending £321.60/year on a something that is usually only half read, (not interested in fashion or the magazines and most of the sport isn't that good), that ends up in the recycling.

The Nectar points tipped the scales to make it sort of worthwhile.

I can put the £321.60 toward some new golf clubs next year.
  • Shanker
    Options
    I span the wheel again today and got 10 but I'm sure that this will be a rare occurrence!

If I got 10 every day there wouldn't be a problem.
  • Betterthanpar
    Options
    Did you see the email on Thursday from the Mail indicating multiple point bonuses in May subject to entering unique numbers for the month?
    Maybe worthwhile seeing how this goes.
  • Shanker
    Options
    Did you see the email on Thursday from the Mail indicating multiple point bonuses in May subject to entering unique numbers for the month?
    Maybe worthwhile seeing how this goes.
    Where was that information located - in the actual paper or elsewhere.  I'll have a look.

Sometimes you have to read the print of the newspaper to see this sort of stuff.
  • MACKEM99
    MACKEM99 Posts: 903 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

this happened in February and I understand it was only for those who got the email?

• martinbuckley
    martinbuckley Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options

Last week I got 10, 6, 6, 5, 9, 5 and 7.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback