NEW BLOG. Featuring tips and pics from pet owners of the MSE Forum, we present to you Homemade pet toy ideas. Take a look

Chase Bank paying 1% interest on Current Account

in Savings & investments
26 replies 1.9K views
SAC2334SAC2334 Forumite
545 Posts
500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
Forumite
Email just now from them starting 24 th April .Better than nothing I suppose and my 1% cashback ends soon 

Replies

• Band7Band7 Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    As you say, better than nothing - but not enough to tempt me to use Chase as my main current account. My trusted old 123 Lite in combination with CHIP instant access still trumps it for me.

If Chase ever offer CASS, cashback on DDs, the market leading savings rate, and auto-refill from their savings account, or something along those lines, I will reconsider.
  • RG2015RG2015 Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    SAC2334 said:
    Email just now from them starting 24 th April .Better than nothing I suppose and my 1% cashback ends soon 
    It is relatively easy to reinstate the 1% cashback by depositing £500. If you wish you can withdraw it immediately.
  • edited 17 April at 6:24PM
    RG2015RG2015 Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 17 April at 6:24PM
    It is also simple and quick to transfer from the current account to the savings account.

Why would anyone leave money in the current account earning 1% when it would earn over 3 times more in the saver.

• wmb194wmb194 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    RG2015 said:
    It is also simple and quick to transfer from the current account to the savings account.

Why would anyone leave money in the current account earning 1% when it would earn over 3 times more in the saver.
    Because you have a DD, SO, CPA or whatever coming out of the current account sometime soon and Chase doesn't presently offer an overdraft that you could use temporarily?
  • RG2015RG2015 Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Forumite
    wmb194 said:
    RG2015 said:

Because you have a DD, SO, CPA or whatever coming out of the current account sometime soon and Chase doesn't presently offer an overdraft that you could use temporarily?
    I hadn’t thought of that as I have never even considered Chase for automatic payments. It still doesn’t seem like a real bank and I mainly use it for the 1% cashback which remains market leading.

It does though remind me of the halcyon days of the Santander 123 with 3% on up to £20k.

Now that was current account interest worth shouting about.
  • Band7Band7 Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    wmb194 said:
    RG2015 said:

why not have those DDs, SOs and CPAs coming out of the Chase savings account to start with?
  • wmb194wmb194 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Band7 said:
    wmb194 said:
    RG2015 said:

why not have those DDs, SOs and CPAs coming out of the Chase savings account to start with?
    Well yes, of course, I'm just thinking about how some people will use the account but how do you do a CPA via the savings account? It doesn't have a debit card.
  • wiseonesomeofthetimewiseonesomeofthetime Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You can't. 

You cannot even determine which current account the CPA comes out of (if you have multiple current accounts) because they will always come out of the current account upon which the debit card is assigned at that precise moment of calling for the payment.

My DDs and SOs come out of three separate savings accounts, with ease.
  • Band7Band7 Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    wmb194 said:
    Band7 said:
    wmb194 said:
    RG2015 said:

Well yes, of course, I'm just thinking about how some people will use the account but how do you do a CPA via the savings account? It doesn't have a debit card.
    OK, fair enough. Shows that I know nothing about CPAs as I never use them  :p