Pension Credit

Options
I became pension age on 9/4 I get my first payment on 2/5 and my pip on 26/4 
I applied for pension credit on 13/1 but this still hasn’t come through is there any financial help available until my benefits come through and how can I stop getting fobbed off by pension credit who keep saying your pension credit is pending we will email the department and you will hear off them in 10 working days but they never ring me back I have exactly 42pence to my name 

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Hi
    You'll get better (and more) relies if you post on this board:
    Benefits & tax credits — MoneySavingExpert Forum

It's much busier than this and has a lot of benefit experts.
  • codandrock
    Options

Hi, Im 68 and receive a single person full state pension (going up to around £204/week I believe from April 6th 2023), savings of below £10,000 (thanks to a long drawn out divoce settlement!) which seems to be above the level at which you can claim for pension credit and get all the benefits attached to that (cash boosts for cost of living, warm home payments, cold weather payments, opticians vouchers, free dentistry etc).

So is it fair on a person paying in to NI for the correct number of years in order to obtain a full state pension, rather than missing some years of 'paying in' and getting a slightly lower amount for state pension, but one which is then topped up by pension credits and added to by all the benefits attached? In other words, it pays to have not paid in enough to get a full state pension? Am I correct?

• Pollycat
    Options

Hi, Im 68 and receive a single person full state pension (going up to around £204/week I believe from April 6th 2023), savings of below £10,000 (thanks to a long drawn out divoce settlement!) which seems to be above the level at which you can claim for pension credit and get all the benefits attached to that (cash boosts for cost of living, warm home payments, cold weather payments, opticians vouchers, free dentistry etc).

So is it fair on a person paying in to NI for the correct number of years in order to obtain a full state pension, rather than missing some years of 'paying in' and getting a slightly lower amount for state pension, but one which is then topped up by pension credits and added to by all the benefits attached? In other words, it pays to have not paid in enough to get a full state pension? Am I correct?

Perhaps have a read of my post above yours about the most appropriate board.

However, the board which is most appropriate (Benefits and tax credits) says:
    Its about helping people get their entitlement! Not about benefits policy!

This board is here for help and support for those on or looking to claim benefits, not for judgement.

Its ONLY focus is helping people with their money.

It's here to help people find out what they are entitled to under the current system, and to help them get it.

It's not necessarily about how much NI you've paid in, it's about how much income you get - either as a single person or a couple. And taking savings into account too. Some people get NI credits without paying in.
    The upper limit for savings is £10k. After that, there is a deduction for every £500 above £10k.  

If you are not eligible for Pension Credit then you're not eligible.
    Have you checked this calculator out on GOV.UK?
    Pension Credit: Overview - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

• codandrock
    Options
    Thanks, but you say the board is ONLY to help people with their money, help them find out what they are entitled to under the current system and to help them get it. But that's why I asked my question - "Am I correct in thinking that, as my only income being from a state pension (full) and with less than 10K savings (which are held by the pension provider HL as cash and earning zero interest) I obtain less financial benefit than someone who does not receive a full pension (perhaps just £20 a week less even) and so gets pension credit with all its extra benefits?". I too needed help to find out if this is correct or whether I too could benefit from something which could even the balance?. If I'm on the wrong forum I apologise, and will search help elsewhere Polly.
  • Pollycat
    edited 5 May 2023 at 8:08AM
    Options
    Thanks, but you say the board is ONLY to help people with their money, help them find out what they are entitled to under the current system and to help them get it. But that's why I asked my question - "Am I correct in thinking that, as my only income being from a state pension (full) and with less than 10K savings (which are held by the pension provider HL as cash and earning zero interest) I obtain less financial benefit than someone who does not receive a full pension (perhaps just £20 a week less even) and so gets pension credit with all its extra benefits?". I too needed help to find out if this is correct or whether I too could benefit from something which could even the balance?. If I'm on the wrong forum I apologise, and will search help elsewhere Polly.
    It's not what I say but what MSE say.

You said:

which is not a question about what you are entitled to but more a criticism about benefits policy.
    It's irrelevant what NI contributions other people have made.
    It's irrelevant what benefits other people get.
    It's about what you are entitled to.

It's up to you what you post on whatever board you like.
    I was pointing you to a more appropriate board.

The link to GOV.UK that I posted has lots of information.
    It might help you if you looked at the Gov.UK site about benefits.
    There are benefits calculators that will give you advice about what you might be entitled to.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback