Comments

• Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    wongataa said:
    Ectophile said:
    user1977 said:
    ComicGeek said:
    We have a Mustang MachE - it pretty much drives itself on the motorway now, just need to keep hands lightly on the steering wheel. It works really really well, makes long journeys much easier. The only difference between the current situation and the proposed upgrade is that the driver won't need to keep their hands on the wheel - personally I'm not paying £20/month for that, and would feel safer hands on anyway.

It doesn't operate in poor weather conditions or where lane markings are really unclear, and can only be activated when conditions are appropriate. 

All of the comments above relate to city/urban driving - that's not what the system is for, and it can only be activated in specific areas anyway so isn't relevant for now. Important questions and concerns for the future though as automation moves forward.
    So what happens if you are driving semi autonomously and suddenly hit dense fog? 
    Looks like the car will pull over, or just stop where it is (unless you take over manual control quickly enough):

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/autonomous-cars-confused-by-san-franciscos-fog/

I suppose if you get a car using radar then it will be able to. take fog in its stride?
    So if your car stops suddenly on the motorway!
    And you are on a smart motorway 
    Crunch

That's why the driver is supposed to be ready to take control at a moment's notice.  Many systems require that you are touching the steering wheel even in autonomous mode.
    That's dangerous 
    Not even knowing when you are supposed to take over 

With all these driver assistance modes the driver is still supposed to be paying attention as they should be if driving without these modes so they will be aware of what is going on around them.  That is why the driver should be able to take over at any time if necessary with no issues.  If you can see potential hazards outside and cannot comprehend that you may need to be in control then you should not be driving.
    Surely the ultimate goal is to allow totally driver-free transport? 
    That's the uber business model - when fully driver free cars are available, they'll get rid of the drivers.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ectophile said:
    user1977 said:
    ComicGeek said:
    We have a Mustang MachE - it pretty much drives itself on the motorway now, just need to keep hands lightly on the steering wheel. It works really really well, makes long journeys much easier. The only difference between the current situation and the proposed upgrade is that the driver won't need to keep their hands on the wheel - personally I'm not paying £20/month for that, and would feel safer hands on anyway.

It doesn't operate in poor weather conditions or where lane markings are really unclear, and can only be activated when conditions are appropriate. 

All of the comments above relate to city/urban driving - that's not what the system is for, and it can only be activated in specific areas anyway so isn't relevant for now. Important questions and concerns for the future though as automation moves forward.
    So what happens if you are driving semi autonomously and suddenly hit dense fog? 
    Looks like the car will pull over, or just stop where it is (unless you take over manual control quickly enough):

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/autonomous-cars-confused-by-san-franciscos-fog/

I suppose if you get a car using radar then it will be able to. take fog in its stride?
    Crunch

That's why the driver is supposed to be ready to take control at a moment's notice.  Many systems require that you are touching the steering wheel even in autonomous mode.
    That's dangerous 

That's why I am not a fan of these almost-but-not-quite self driving systems.  Driver aids are one thing.  But these systems give the illusion that everything's under control.  But it could all go wrong at any moment, and the driver may not be paying attention.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I'm less concerned about the semi autonomous Mache on motorways, and more concerned about the Asda self driving grocery deliveries in built up areas of West London that I read about today https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c0vzvj9v897o
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    ComicGeek said:
    I'm less concerned about the semi autonomous Mache on motorways, and more concerned about the Asda self driving grocery deliveries in built up areas of West London that I read about today https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c0vzvj9v897o
    There will be at least two people in the car, I'm sure they'll manage.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • MouldyOldDough
    MouldyOldDough Posts: 1,782 Forumite
    Ectophile said:
    Ectophile said:
    user1977 said:
    ComicGeek said:

Crunch

That's dangerous 

That's why I am not a fan of these almost-but-not-quite self driving systems.  Driver aids are one thing.  But these systems give the illusion that everything's under control.  But it could all go wrong at any moment, and the driver may not be paying attention.

So why are the government blindly forging ahead with a system that , at best, will not work and at worst could cause carnage on our roads - before it has been fully and properly investigated and proven to work safely ?
  • MouldyOldDough
    Emmia said:
    wongataa said:
    Ectophile said:
    user1977 said:
    ComicGeek said:

Crunch

That's dangerous 

With all these driver assistance modes the driver is still supposed to be paying attention as they should be if driving without these modes so they will be aware of what is going on around them.  That is why the driver should be able to take over at any time if necessary with no issues.  If you can see potential hazards outside and cannot comprehend that you may need to be in control then you should not be driving.
    That's the uber business model - when fully driver free cars are available, they'll get rid of the drivers.

A scary thought - though this may happen one day (in a few hundred years -  if human life still exists in its current form)
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    edited 19 April 2023 at 5:50PM
    Emmia said:
    wongataa said:
    Ectophile said:
    user1977 said:
    ComicGeek said:

Crunch

That's dangerous 

A scary thought - though this may happen one day (in a few hundred years -  if human life still exists in its current form)
    will happen way sooner than that, I have seen driverless transport in Vegas a couple of years ago , not sure if it is still in use though

it wasnt these ones https://motional.com/las-vegas  and although these still have drivers it wont be long before they dont need to
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,302 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Emmia said:
    wongataa said:
    Ectophile said:
    user1977 said:
    ComicGeek said:

Crunch

That's dangerous 

And a bit over 100 years ago there were no cars on the roads.  I am sure humans can cope with another change. 

But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • MouldyOldDough
    Emmia said:
    wongataa said:
    Ectophile said:
    user1977 said:
    ComicGeek said:

Crunch

That's dangerous 

And a bit over 100 years ago there were no cars on the roads.  I am sure humans can cope with another change. 

Don't worry - Human life on earth will not exist by then anyway
    We will have destroyed ourselves by then
  • shinytop
    shinytop Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic

will happen way sooner than that, I have seen driverless transport in Vegas a couple of years ago , not sure if it is still in use though

Never mind Vegas, it's happening now in Milton Keynes.  A bit cramped though.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback