Studio catalogue refund

Options
Just seeing if anyone else has had this.
I got a letter today from Studio (catalogue) saying that i was due a refund because they had failed to do proper credit checks.
This is an old account and for a couple of hundred pounds.
Has anyone come across this?

Go get it!

Comments

• MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hi, a couple of years ago I received a letter from HSBC about a refund from a John Lewis card I'd had many years ago. I was initially suspicious but they'd sent a cheque and, after phoning HSBC to confirm that it was okay (they'd taken over John Lewis financial services and had done some retrospective checking - it seems like many places are doing that now), I paid it into my bank and everything was fine.

BUT if I were you, I would hang on and see what else Studio send. If they send a cheque you could pay that into your bank. But if they ask for any information about your bank account, or for any other personal details, I might start to feel a bit suspicious. You could always phone them to see if it's genuine - I'd google for the correct number to phone as well, rather than using one on any correspondence.

As long as you don't offer any personal details, things should be fine. If you do get a refund, that'd be great.

If it's genuine and you don't do anything, they'll contact you again asking for your preferred method of payment. 

If it turns out to be a scam, please do report it as that'll help many others to avoid such a scam. 

Just my own experience, thoughts and opinions, as ever.  Good luck.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Companies are required to audit themselves occasionally to identify any potential problems in procedures or where they have not adhered to regulations or guidelines, things like that.

Its quite common for them to identify such problems, and issue customers with redress for historic wrongdoing, many of the major lenders have been caught out in the past for some minor and some not so minor issues.

It’s free money, don’t worry about it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • BlueJ94
    BlueJ94 Posts: 2,551 Ambassador
    First Anniversary I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    tibawo said:
    Just seeing if anyone else has had this.
    I got a letter today from Studio (catalogue) saying that i was due a refund because they had failed to do proper credit checks.
    This is an old account and for a couple of hundred pounds.
    Has anyone come across this?

Hello! Just came across this, I too have just been sent a letter. Saying they will let me know how much they owe me, it's being handled by moorecrofr debt recovery.

Have you heard anything since? 
     I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe boards and spending & discounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Debt owed;
  • Meesh1967
    Options
    Hi as anyone received an update? I received a letter too 
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    What update are you looking for ?

The company will issue a refund to those identified as being due one.

I`m sure the letter explained the process to you ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Meesh1967
    Options
    Just wondering as letter states a refund - to be paid out within 30 days & some received letters back in April 
  • mummyof3xxx
    Options
    Yeah I just got a letter from studio so I called them and its a refund of interest and or charges. It says they are carrying out an assessment and need the most up to date details for me, I don't actually have a studio account anymore and haven't for many years now so who knows, would be nice to get a refund but if not then its all good. She said they were hoping to get it sorted out before Christmas.
  • Daveyj29
    Options
    I have also received a letter from Studio regarding a refund of interest / charges and I havent had my account since 2017 cant imagine i will get much back however better off in my pocket - not sure how long the refunds will take
  • bluelou93
    Options
    I received a letter too I've since received a cheque but it won't cash via the bank so having to chase it up. Has anyone else received and successfully cashed the cheque?
  • retiredbanker1
    Options
    bluelou93 said:
    I received a letter too I've since received a cheque but it won't cash via the bank so having to chase it up. Has anyone else received and successfully cashed the cheque?
    What do you mean it won't cash via the bank?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback