Praise for the Passport Office

Options
The Passport Office gets a lot of stick, and is likely to get much more if the strike goes ahead, however they aren't always bad. 
I applied on line for a passport and Royal Mail took 4 days to get my old passport to the Passport Office despite PO advising used of 'Guaranteed 24 hour Delivery'! 
The timeline once the Passport Office received my old passport was as follows -  Friday, old passport received - Saturday, application approved - Saturday, passport printed - Tuesday, notification that passport had been despatched - Wednesday lunchtime, passport received.  That's 6 days in total from the time they received all the information they needed to me receiving my new passport.  Pretty good in my opinion.

Comments

• TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Renewals don't seem to be a problem, ours also came back very quickly indeed recently.

It is the new applications where the hold ups are.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    edited 7 April 2023 at 9:37PM
    Options
    My old was signed for 27th March,  my application status says still waiting for the old one.
  • tightauldgit
    tightauldgit Posts: 2,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Put my daughter's passport in last week for renewal. Got confirmation of having received old passport. Nothing since. Didn't expect anything to be done quickly so I'm interested to see how long it takes
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Although both old passports were in the same envelope, my application went through and passport printed within 48 hours of them being received at the Passport Office and my wife's took several days longer.  As they have now started their strike it's inevitable things are going to take longer.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Options
    Put my daughter's passport in last week for renewal. Got confirmation of having received old passport. Nothing since. Didn't expect anything to be done quickly so I'm interested to see how long it takes
    Curious do you know what date they received it if you sent it tracked?
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Also had a great experience this year when applying for a new passport for our little one. 

Came back within 4/5 weeks. I have however now been waiting over 8 for her birth certificate to be returned which I paid extra for and am yet to receive it
  • TELLIT01
    Options
    Marvel1 said:
    Curious do you know what date they received it if you sent it tracked?

Just an example of timings.

24/3 Confirmation old passports received
    25/3 Approval of 1 application
    25/3 Passport printed
    26/3 Passport despatched
    28/3 Approval of 2nd application
    30/3 Passport printed
    31/3 Passport despatched

I do need to clarify information in a previous topic.  I said there it was 10 days between 1st and 2nd passport approval, when it was actually 3.  I blame my age!
  • tightauldgit
    Options
    So got confirmation that daughter's renewal was approved on Easter Monday (weirdly) and then printing confirmed yesterday.

So old passport was sent March 28th, confirmed received on April 3rd, approved April 10 and printed April 11. 

Can't really complain about that turnaround time. 

Just waiting for DHL to confirm dispatch now. 
  • TELLIT01
    Options
    We have also had both of our old passports back.  2nd arrived today.
  • tightauldgit
    Options
    New passport arrived today - just over 2 weeks including Easter weekend. Not bad
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback