IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking ticket from ncp is now at £170 after failing appeal

In November I got a parking ticket at an NCP car park in Bolton. After reviewing their case I felt I had a good case for appeal as I clearly had the tickets on my dash for the times I have been charged for. 

After going through the full appeal process (NCP were aware of the appeal but never explained their stance) I was denied by popla because I had purchased tickets for the wrong car park. There was a horizon car park directly adjacent to the one I was in and the horizon parking meters were by far the most prominent as I have no recollection about seeing an NCP metre.

since I have already been rejected by popla I cannot appeal again. If NCP had told me why I had been charged when initially appealed I could have used different reasoning as to why the ticket was unfair. Since they never mentioned that I was in a separate car park I went forward with saying my tickets were clearly valid which was subsequently dismissed.

yesterday I got an invoice through from a debt collector to the tune of £170. I really think this is an excessive fee given I actually bought parking tickets the signage just was not clear enough. I found an article in the Bolton times where someone had a similar situation in the same car park and the charge was dropped after appeal. Since I cannot appeal again it feels as if my options are to either ignore it and hope it goes away, pay the fine (don’t want to do this as £170 is excessive) or wait until (if) they take me to court and explain my situation and hope the judge sides with me, although this could lead to me paying more.

unsure what to do, an educated voice on this would be appreciated.

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 129,102
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 20 April 2023 at 1:02PM
    The educated voice you seek is already in the fourth post of NEWBIES PLEASE READ THESE FAQS FIRST at the top of this forum, two clicks back (if you are not used to forums and how to use the breadcrumb trail back to page one from any page, see my signature - colourful words below - which tells you what the link looks like and where it is).

Obviously you ignore daft £170 demands.

Please read the advice thread first. 4th post.

This is not a stage to do anything except complain to the landowner which is always 'PLAN A'.

NO PHONING ANYONE!

Come back if you get a court claim as they are easy to defend.  Hopefully you saw that when you read a dozen or so threads here before posting
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Hajr200
    Hajr200 Posts: 7
    First Post
    Forumite
    Just received this, should I be concerned? 
  • B789
    B789 Posts: 3,441
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hajr200 said:
    What does the Newbies/FAQ thread say? That is your reference. Please use it as such.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,048
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Back on St. Patrick's Day you asked about an earlier debt collector's letter.

The guidance given then was to read the fourth post of the NEWBIES thread.
    Did you read that post?
    The first few lines of that post look like...

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 129,102
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 20 April 2023 at 1:30PM
    My advice has not changed.

We do kindly ask posters to please not tell us about their series of debt demands, or we would drown in posts I'm afraid.  And they are all the same and all letters/emails or texts to ignore.

My advice was and still is:

Please read the advice thread first. 4th post.

This is not a stage to do anything except complain to the landowner which is always 'PLAN A'.

NO PHONING ANYONE!

Come back if you get a court claim as they are easy to defend.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,119
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hajr200 said:
    Escalations Department 🤣🤣🤣. 

After which it will go the Serious Case Department, followed by the even more scary, Seriously, Serious Case Department. 
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • patient_dream
    patient_dream Posts: 3,399
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hajr200 said:
    TRACE ????  HAHAHA ..... nearly drowned my keyboard with my cup of tea ....... 
    As Umkomaas says above

After which it will go the Serious Case Department, followed by the even more scary, Seriously, Serious Case Department. 

IT'S ALL LALA LAND STUFF ... TRACE CAN DO NOTHING
    IGNORE THE FOOLS
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 21,910
    Forumite
    Umkomaas said:
    Hajr200 said:

Next desk along. Two desks along!
  • Le_Kirk said:
    Umkomaas said:
    Hajr200 said:

Same person though!...
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 21,910
    Forumite
    Le_Kirk said:
    Umkomaas said:
    Hajr200 said:

Same person though!...
    Yep, hot-desking!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family