Options

Comments

• nrmsmith
    nrmsmith Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PHK said:
    nrmsmith said:
    Don’t electricity & gas Smart Meters also rely on the 3G network?  Are they going to stop working?
    As far as I know they are 2G and modern ones are 4G. 
    Well having just had gas & elect Smart meters fitted in the last 12 months I certainly hope they are 4G but I recall the fitter saying they were based on the 3G network so hopefully he was wrong
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,151 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Smets 2 meters are 2G/3G according to https://www.smartme.co.uk/smets-2.html and use O2 not Vodafone.

They have a cunning plan to update the comms modules in time.

• ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,724 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That will be why O2 have said they will be the last to turn off 2G
  • username
    username Posts: 654 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There was an article in the Sunday Times last week about a load of councils scrapping parking meters because the 3G was being withdrawn, and it was costly for the replacement modules to update them.
  • littlemoney
    littlemoney Posts: 788 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    My four year old Samsung is 3g and cost me over £200. That's expensive. £50+ a year average cost. I had expected it to be suitable for much longer and feel cheated. Changes being made purely for the benefit of large conurbations, rather than areas of smaller populations. Big cities don't need improved services, the more rural areas do.
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My four year old Samsung is 3g and cost me over £200. That's expensive. £50+ a year average cost. I had expected it to be suitable for much longer and feel cheated. Changes being made purely for the benefit of large conurbations, rather than areas of smaller populations. Big cities don't need improved services, the more rural areas do.
    Actually the move to 4G and 5G is to provide better coverage to rural areas. 

Which Samsung model is it?
  • sully1311
    sully1311 Posts: 380 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A four year old Samsung over £200 would have 4G. What's the model?
  • DemiDee
    DemiDee Posts: 524 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have an old Nokia - by choice. I don't want the bells and whistles (and hassle) of a 'smart' phone. Most of all, I am not convinced that the radiation created by 4G and especially 5G isn't harmful. Dreadful that those with older phones are being left with no option than to have no phone, or adopt 5G.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DemiDee said:
    I have an old Nokia - by choice. I don't want the bells and whistles (and hassle) of a 'smart' phone. Most of all, I am not convinced that the radiation created by 4G and especially 5G isn't harmful. Dreadful that those with older phones are being left with no option than to have no phone, or adopt 5G.

You do realise the radiation of which you speak isn't unique to 4G or 5G?  Your old Nokia will be doing it as well.  its all in the same part of the spectrum.
  • flaneurs_lobster
    Options
    DemiDee said:

Most of all, I am not convinced that the radiation created by 4G and especially 5G isn't harmful. 
    Really? That sound terrible.

Please tell us why you think 4G (and especially 5G) is harmful. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback