Problems cashing alternative fuel voucher.

Options
jaemac
jaemac Posts: 18 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Has anyone been able to cash the vouchers if they have been sent them by post. If your bank isn't listed then you are supposed to use a Paypoint but what if there isn't one close that's viable? Any advice would be appreciated/

Comments

• DingerUK
    DingerUK Posts: 66 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think you can also use the post office 
  • jaemac
    Options
    DingerUK said:
    I think you can also use the post office 
    No, Post Office isn't an option, at least not according to the website.  
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    jaemac said:
    Has anyone been able to cash the vouchers if they have been sent them by post. If your bank isn't listed then you are supposed to use a Paypoint but what if there isn't one close that's viable? Any advice would be appreciated/
    What do you mean by "viable"? If you mean not as close as one would like then I suspect that means a slightly longer journey.
  • jaemac
    Options
    jaemac said:
    What do you mean by "viable"? If you mean not as close as one would like then I suspect that means a slightly longer journey.
    It is more a case of not being able to make a 'slightly' longer journey I'm afraid.
  • MattMattMattUK
    Options
    jaemac said:
    jaemac said:
    It is more a case of not being able to make a 'slightly' longer journey I'm afraid.
    Unfortunately I think you might have to factor in the potential cost of travelling to a PayPoint location as potentially part of the cost of recovering the £200, even if it means only getting say £150 net for example.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No problem, but I could only use a Post Office, I redeemed them 3 at a time.
  • jaemac
    Options
    Marvel1 said:
    No problem, but I could only use a Post Office, I redeemed them 3 at a time.
    Thanks, I'll pass that info on. It may be that the information available has been misinterpreted. Would be easier if the bank was just added to the list though, then there would be no travel involved at all.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,525 Forumite
    Options
    jaemac said:
    jaemac said:
    Unfortunately I think you might have to factor in the potential cost of travelling to a PayPoint location as potentially part of the cost of recovering the £200, even if it means only getting say £150 net for example.
    Aside from the fact it simply may not be possible, why should someone have to settle for less than the full payment overall when everyone else got the whole £200, just because they're on prepayment?  That's needlessly discriminatory.  And even if it doesn't cost them (much) monetarily it could very well cost them physically.
  • MattMattMattUK
    Options
    jaemac said:
    jaemac said:
    Aside from the fact it simply may not be possible, why should someone have to settle for less than the full payment overall when everyone else got the whole £200, just because they're on prepayment?  That's needlessly discriminatory.  And even if it doesn't cost them (much) monetarily it could very well cost them physically.
    Unfortunately sometimes practicality trumps idealism. It might be a less than optimal solution to have to travel to a PayPoint location. The entire system of handouts has been a bodge from the start which is why here have been so many issues, from issues processing payments and refunds, lack of clarity on billing, issues with vouchers etc., everything is a bodge and that has caused issues and lead to sub optimal implementation. It might be a poor system, it is not discrimination. 
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,525 Forumite
    edited 5 March 2023 at 12:11AM
    Options
    jaemac said:
    jaemac said:
    Unfortunately sometimes practicality trumps idealism. It might be a less than optimal solution to have to travel to a PayPoint location. The entire system of handouts has been a bodge from the start which is why here have been so many issues, from issues processing payments and refunds, lack of clarity on billing, issues with vouchers etc., everything is a bodge and that has caused issues and lead to sub optimal implementation. It might be a poor system, it is not discrimination. 
    Agreed it's all been suboptimal.  But it is discrimination if it unfairly disadvantages people - I didn't say it was active or deliberate, it can be unintentional and purely due to an oversight / not considering the circumstances of certain groups of people.

In terms of practicality, I'd have thought the answer would not be to just accept whatever cost but to investigate the possibilities (which was the entire purpose of this thread) and then contact the supplier and ask for an alternative payment method if the customer really can't redeem the voucher.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback