Ford Transit Custom - suspected wet belt failure

Options

Comments

• Tucosalamanca
    Options
    Since my last post things have got interesting.
    I've been in conversation with Ford UK, supplied service invoices and copy of V5.
    In our last correspondence, I was advised that I would know more by 5pm today.

Well, I haven't yet heard from Ford UK but have received a rather curt email from the local dealership requesting that I approve the work or settle the outstanding bill (for diagnosis) and collect the vehicle, with storage costs of £25 per day from next week.

I have been proactive and tried to expedite matters, from my point of view Ford UK have been very slow and communication between dealership and Ford does not appear to be great.

I have resent all relevant documentation and requested that the local dealership follows up with Ford UK.
    They are having a call this morning, so I should find out more later today.

I have told the dealership that if no contribution is forthcoming I will agree to the works and will seek to recover my costs through the small claims court (with a claim against Ford UK).
    I can present a strong case, although I would much rather come to an amicable solution.
    Being a vehicle short for a month has caused enough inconvenience without the hassle of an MCOL claim....
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Since my last post things have got interesting.
    I've been in conversation with Ford UK, supplied service invoices and copy of V5.
    In our last correspondence, I was advised that I would know more by 5pm today.

Well, I haven't yet heard from Ford UK but have received a rather curt email from the local dealership requesting that I approve the work or settle the outstanding bill (for diagnosis) and collect the vehicle, with storage costs of £25 per day from next week.

I have been proactive and tried to expedite matters, from my point of view Ford UK have been very slow and communication between dealership and Ford does not appear to be great.

I have resent all relevant documentation and requested that the local dealership follows up with Ford UK.
    They are having a call this morning, so I should find out more later today.

I have told the dealership that if no contribution is forthcoming I will agree to the works and will seek to recover my costs through the small claims court (with a claim against Ford UK).
    I can present a strong case, although I would much rather come to an amicable solution.
    Being a vehicle short for a month has caused enough inconvenience without the hassle of an MCOL claim....
    And i bet you will not replace this or any with an engine that has a wet belt system ,hope you get some success with your claim /remedy.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Grey_Critic
    Grey_Critic Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    ***And i bet you will not replace this or any with an engine that has a wet belt system ,***

You will need to inform your insurer and DVLA if you replace with a different engine.

• Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,159 Forumite
    Options
    ***And i bet you will not replace this or any with an engine that has a wet belt system ,***

You will need to inform your insurer and DVLA if you replace with a different engine.

I meant a different vehicle -full stop
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • nickham
    nickham Posts: 30 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 April 2023 at 5:26PM
    Options
    Hi there, what was the update with this? Did it work out?

Guess what! My van is having a wet built issue it seems. About to get a diagnosis on it next Tuesday. Everyone I'm speaking too are wishing me luck because it's going to be a nightmare apparently. I'm being told by AA to complain to Ford if this is the confirmed issue which apparently could be really challenging. I'm just looking up my log book which has service history and stamps in but from the sounds of it I need more than that? And how many miles should the service count fore? I'm worried I will have small gaps between the minimum.

Would really appreciate any tips and help with this and how to go forward. Apparently a new engine is common which could cost 1000's which is just ridiculous when it's clearly a common fault with Ford. 
  • Tucosalamanca
    Tucosalamanca Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 13 April 2023 at 9:38AM
    Options
    I've been wanting to update the thread but Ford UK are being painfully slow.
    The vehicle is still waiting for repair (now six weeks since failure).

I'm still corresponding with Customer Services but at this moment they have not offered any good will towards replacement costs.

My vehicle does not have a complete history with itemised invoices, this is apparently essential if looking to claim and the crux of my issue with them. Stamped books or service print-outs are not enough evidence.

I don't want to disclose full details as my case is still 'live'. 

My next step will be to contact Lisa Brankin (MD Ford UK & Ireland, vvincent6@ford.com) and ask for assistance from the top down, as approaching from the bottom up is proving difficult.

The best place I've found for information is Ford Transit Custom Owner's group on Facebook, although some members are sick of 'wet belt' posts and can be hostile. A quick internet search will offer a wealth of information.

This is only hearsay so not substantiated, I've read that some dealerships have over 20 vehicles waiting for new engines, owners are queuing up to have their wet belts replaced before recommended change, the replacement belts are now under a recall and it looks like delays until June at least. Yes, Ford have issues but they've also sold a lot of Transit Customs, so I'm trying to keep some perspective.

My local dealership has been terrible, the advice given earlier in this thread to contact Ford directly has been incredibly helpful and I would suggest you engage with them asap.

Good luck and keep us updated!

• Tucosalamanca
    Options
    Latest update.

Both Ford UK and local dealership continue to be painfully slow.

I've asked the dealership to proceed with the engine replacement at a cost of around £7.5k, if necessary I will pay the bill and aim to recover from Ford UK through MCOL.

The 'replacement' consists of 

'The engine is a complete base engine, so looking from the outside, you would see new sump, block, head & rocker cover 

They have a new cambelt already installed. 

Everything else, is moved across from your current engine.

The engine is a brand new engine (not refurbished) and has 12 months/unlimited mileage warranty.'

The dealership have been charging me £25 per day storage since 01st April, this has also been waived (I was always going to dispute or seek to reclaim costs).

My claim with Ford UK has been escalated to Management but still no decision made.

I will update again as things progress...
  • Tucosalamanca
    Options
    Today's update.

Local dealership are currently fitting a new engine and the vehicle will be ready for collection in the coming days.

No idea if it's coincidence but Ford UK have just contacted me to say that they are not willing to offer any contribution.

'This review takes in consideration various factors and determines if the repair/vehicle would fit our criteria for Ford Motor Company to assist towards repair costs that are not covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

Unfortunately, with the information gathered it has been agreed that we would be unable to assist with any goodwill on this occasion.
    Goodwill is a discretionary contribution and Ford are under no legal obligation to provide any financial assistance towards any repair carried out outside of the manufacturer's base warranty period. Any financial assistance given is a goodwill gesture only and not an automatic entitlement.

I know that this is not the response you were hoping for and I can only apologise for the extended period of time you have waited for Ford to come to this conclusion. At this stage we would advise that you contact the dealership with your further intentions on the repair of this vehicle as you would need to authorise repair or collect the vehicle as appropriate.

There are too many variables of road conditions and external factors outside of the control of the manufacturer that may have a bearing upon components and these conditions can over-stress components and cause failure.

We understand this may not have been the resolution you were looking for, so please accept our apologies for the inconvenience and frustration caused to you. We regret falling short of your expectations.'

Clearly, I'm not happy with this outcome but it's apparent that this approach has run its course.

I will be contacting Ford UK ceo later today. If we cannot come to an agreement, next steps are letter before action then MCOL claim.

More updates to follow...
  • zedem
    zedem Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Just had the same issue on my 2.0 Transit Custom 2017, I had it serviced at Ford in Oct 22 (130K), it says there was a timing belt visual inspection no issues reported.

Last week it failed (138K) and I tried to get it recovered to Ford, they wouldn't take it saying no slots available until June. A 3rd party mechanic has diagnosed timing belt failure and a recon engine will cost me £4k fitted.

I have contacted Ford UK and got the 3 day response email, don't have much hope after reading this post as I have patchy records of service history.

This is my only van and rely on it heavily. 
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,906 Forumite
    Options
    zedem said:
    Just had the same issue on my 2.0 Transit Custom 2017, I had it serviced at Ford in Oct 22 (130K), it says there was a timing belt visual inspection no issues reported.

Last week it failed (138K) and I tried to get it recovered to Ford, they wouldn't take it saying no slots available until June. A 3rd party mechanic has diagnosed timing belt failure and a recon engine will cost me £4k fitted.

I have contacted Ford UK and got the 3 day response email, don't have much hope after reading this post as I have patchy records of service history.

This is my only van and rely on it heavily. 
    But has it had a timing belt fitted previously, at 100,000 miles?
    If the scare stories are true, people should be changing at 80,000
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure