We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Lloyds/Bank of Scotland/Halifax regular/monthly saver limits

Options

Comments

• Band7
    Band7 Posts: 2,285 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    AmityNeon said:

The below assumes gross interest, continuing to fund £400 per month in both scenarios, and six deposits (£2,400) at 5.25% whilst leaving the excess £2,000 from month 6 onwards in accounts no higher than 3.25%.

Thanks for this. It's made me stop to replace my Club Lloyds and take the risk that there won't be a 6.25% RS on offer once my current one matures.

I have also done the numbers for the 4.5% Regular Savers which go to 5.25%. Similar outcome, not worth my while for now.
  • Money_Grabber13579
    Options
    If you were to extend the figures another 6 months though, would that not showing closing and reopening now as being the better option? In that case, you’d be starting from scratch in 6 months time whereas if you closed and reopened now, then in 6 months time you’ll be better off.

I’m not explaining myself very well but I can’t see how sticking with a lower interest rate would ever be the best approach long term. By cutting the analysis off at 6 months, I think it might be showing that sticking is better when it isn’t really?
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,227 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If you were to extend the figures another 6 months though, would that not showing closing and reopening now as being the better option? In that case, you’d be starting from scratch in 6 months time whereas if you closed and reopened now, then in 6 months time you’ll be better off.

I’m not explaining myself very well but I can’t see how sticking with a lower interest rate would ever be the best approach long term. By cutting the analysis off at 6 months, I think it might be showing that sticking is better when it isn’t really?
    True, but other accounts may appear or interest rates change. The further out you look the more variable the possibilities. There is also the PSA tax limit to consider. With higher interest rates generally, you may be more likely to hit the £1000 barrier in 2023-24, so you want to make sure as much interest as possible is in 2022-23 if you haven't hit the £1000 mark yet. 
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 March 2023 at 9:55AM
    Options
    silvercar said:

True, but other accounts may appear or interest rates change. The further out you look the more variable the possibilities. There is also the PSA tax limit to consider. With higher interest rates generally, you may be more likely to hit the £1000 barrier in 2023-24, so you want to make sure as much interest as possible is in 2022-23 if you haven't hit the £1000 mark yet. 
    My projections are that having already reached the PSA limit in this tax year, that I'll also hit the limit next year too.

Therefore closing the my two Lloyds accounts and my Halifax in April and then re-opening them will push the latter interest into 2024/25. 

I think I will also utilise my Virgin 3% Isa after April to hold my 2023/24 accessible savings and use it to feed my regular savers and hold the money after they mature. 

I am £100 over my psa limit this year and only have £53 in my easy access Isa as most money went to fixed isas, and the balance into my Yorkshire six access plus some in Zopa and Chase. I withdrew from the Yorkshire Rainy day account as interest is added on 31 March.
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think my heads going to explode!! 😲🤣

I have 2 X Lloyds
    1 BoS
    1 Halifax

I might twist on some and stick on others. 
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.57% of current retirement "pot" (as at end May 2024)
  • jblore
    jblore Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've only just gone to month 4 on my Club Lloyds (so £1600). 
    I can also open a regular non-club one as well at the same rate as the old Club (5.25%).

Therefore it's probably a no-brainer for me to close the current Club Lloyds and start on the new 6.25%
    The money in my current Club Lloyds would then go into the higher rate CL and the regular one (so lose less to start and gain more).

Does that seem reasonable?
  • nottsphil
    nottsphil Posts: 463 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 3 March 2023 at 8:38PM
    Options
    Bojax said:
    “ 2. Renew account to another type of saver.” How does that work exactly?
    Maybe read the first four replies to the thread?

If the money withdrawn is going into a 3+% account that pays interest on Saturday deposits such as Santander eSaver then it would be advantageous to leave these renewals until the morning. This is because LBG treat weekend withdrawals as happening on the next working day, so the withdrawn money would be earning interest in both accounts for 2 days. I know it's only a few pennies difference but it's for zero extra effort.
  • nottsphil
    nottsphil Posts: 463 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 3 March 2023 at 9:53PM
    Options
    AmityNeon said:

Obviously, if you still have remaining PSA this year, the more likely it's better to close/renew today. Also, the fewer deposits you've currently made at 5.25%, the more likely it's better to close/renew today.

That's what is known as going 'above and beyond' in helping others to come to a decision on this issue!
    Please don't regard it as nitpicking if I pull you up on your advice to act today as I realise you mean 'any time this month' regarding the tax issue. I'd like to offer my own advice, which would be to delay action until the 31st of March for those who have decided to renew this month. This would avoid possibly thousands languishing in instant access accounts for the next 4 weeks whilst still benefitting from a full year's regular saving at the higher rate. Furthermore it would allow for a 13th subscription, meaning a full year's interest on the 31st of March one and almost that on the second one, best made on Monday 3rd of April. That extra subscription on the CLMS alone is worth £25, so probably double what you would have earnt in an instant access account for those 12 months.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback