BEER52 - cancellation warning

13»

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    drjohn67 said:
    drjohn67 said:
    Agree that alcohol should not be kept out of sight just in case those with problem drinking or dependence are in some way harmed. Alcohol is so readily accessible elsewhere that an offer on MSE would have little influence.

Choosing to drink massive amounts on a night out then getting in to a fight, abusing family or partner etc  could be described as irresponsible.

Although there is a degree of choice those misusing alcohol due to problem drinking or dependence - it may not be fair to use irresponsible. They may have anxiety or OCD symptoms that they are self-medicating or may have developed dependence after drinking excessively to cope with a trauma or similar. 

Ack you didn’t say they were irresponsible. :-)
    So you think the majority should be nannied because of the actions of the minority?

Not at all. Read my first line. 

Just trying to influence the use of language around alcohol misuse. Some will be irresponsible through choice whereas others will be misusing with a degree of impairment due to their condition.
    I used 'drink responsibly' as this is a phrase often used.

I did not use 'irresponsibly' so no need to try to influence my use of language around alcohol misuse.

• drjohn67
    drjohn67 Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Pollycat said:
    drjohn67 said:
    drjohn67 said:
    Agree that alcohol should not be kept out of sight just in case those with problem drinking or dependence are in some way harmed. Alcohol is so readily accessible elsewhere that an offer on MSE would have little influence.

Choosing to drink massive amounts on a night out then getting in to a fight, abusing family or partner etc  could be described as irresponsible.

Although there is a degree of choice those misusing alcohol due to problem drinking or dependence - it may not be fair to use irresponsible. They may have anxiety or OCD symptoms that they are self-medicating or may have developed dependence after drinking excessively to cope with a trauma or similar. 

So you think the majority should be nannied because of the actions of the minority?

Just trying to influence the use of language around alcohol misuse. Some will be irresponsible through choice whereas others will be misusing with a degree of impairment due to their condition.

I did not use 'irresponsibly' so no need to try to influence my use of language around alcohol misuse.

My last line?
    "Ack you didn’t say they were irresponsible. :-)"
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    drjohn67 said:
    Pollycat said:
    drjohn67 said:
    drjohn67 said:

My last line?
    "Ack you didn’t say they were irresponsible. :-)"
    I saw that.
    So who are you trying to influence in the use of language around alcohol misuse?
  • drjohn67
    drjohn67 Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    No one in particular. There were 6 or 7 posts related to alcohol misuse/alcoholism, wanted to put some clear space around the term responsible drinking in that context.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback