BEER52 - cancellation warning

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,679 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    I've had multiple trial offers with Beer52 and Wine52. Although it does say on the web site that you must phone to cancel, I've always just emailed and received a confirmation back via email. 

But MSE specifically said:
    "This is a one-off box, you won't be signed up to a subscription."
    The OP should not have needed to phone or even email to cancel.
  • I've had one or two of these sampler boxes from different sites but always disappointed. Feel like they just put the rubbish they can't sell in them. The photo in this case looks decent but not sure if that's an actual representation of the contents of the box or just a generic Beer52 promotional pic. 

• cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,216 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    jon81uk said:
    goater78 said:
    jon81uk said:
    goater78 said:
    It seems odd that a money saving site encourage people to buy cheap alcohol. I suppose it is money saving but doesn’t seem to sit well with the other money saving advice they offer. 

Would be surprising if Martin Lewis dedicated one of his TV shows to tips on how do buy beer and wine for a cheap price. 
    Its not really "cheap alcohol" though, the site isn't telling people that Iceland have bottles of White Lightning for 99p. 
    Beer52 sells premium beer so its about how to get a quality product for a lower price.
    Yes that’s fine I suppose. Just seems to me that alcohol is similar to gambling in that for many people it’s not a problem but does unfortunately cause serious issues to some people. I don’t think this site advertises gambling sites where you can get a great deal so a bit surprised they advertise alcohol deals. 

Still it’s a private site and they can advertise what they deem appropriate 😃
    Those who do have an actual problem with drinking won't be looking at 16 330ml craft beers for £20, there are much cheaper options available.

That's quite a generalisation. Not all alcoholics drink cheap booze. Having had alcoholic parents who would drink high end cognacs and vodkas, along with premium wines, they didn't ever go down the white lightning route. Alcohol affects many different people of many different backgrounds in many different ways, and as above I can guarantee they aren't all down the supermarket looking for the cheapest hit.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    jon81uk said:
    goater78 said:
    jon81uk said:
    goater78 said:
    It seems odd that a money saving site encourage people to buy cheap alcohol. I suppose it is money saving but doesn’t seem to sit well with the other money saving advice they offer. 

Would be surprising if Martin Lewis dedicated one of his TV shows to tips on how do buy beer and wine for a cheap price. 
    Its not really "cheap alcohol" though, the site isn't telling people that Iceland have bottles of White Lightning for 99p. 
    Beer52 sells premium beer so its about how to get a quality product for a lower price.
    Yes that’s fine I suppose. Just seems to me that alcohol is similar to gambling in that for many people it’s not a problem but does unfortunately cause serious issues to some people. I don’t think this site advertises gambling sites where you can get a great deal so a bit surprised they advertise alcohol deals. 

Still it’s a private site and they can advertise what they deem appropriate 😃
    Those who do have an actual problem with drinking won't be looking at 16 330ml craft beers for £20, there are much cheaper options available.

That's quite a generalisation. Not all alcoholics drink cheap booze. Having had alcoholic parents who would drink high end cognacs and vodkas, along with premium wines, they didn't ever go down the white lightning route. Alcohol affects many different people of many different backgrounds in many different ways, and as above I can guarantee they aren't all down the supermarket looking for the cheapest hit.
    But equally I really don’t expect a deal posted on MSE is going to encourage many people to drink to excess either. 
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,216 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    jon81uk said:

But equally I really don’t expect a deal posted on MSE is going to encourage many people to drink to excess either. 

An alcohol 'deal' of any type will always attract a segment of committed alcoholics no matter where it's advertised. You've said yourself that Beer52 sells premium beer to get a quality product for a lower price - there'll be plenty within a certain demographic that will order as many as they can (even at one per person by using other family names). I've seen and experienced it myself. It it's a 'deal' there'll be alcoholics that will buy it and drink to excess. They may not be the ones you typically picture hanging around street corners with bottles of cider wrapped in paper bags. But we are digressing away from the OP's issue. 
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • drjohn67
    drjohn67 Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Agree that alcohol should not be kept out of sight just in case those with problem drinking or dependence are in some way harmed. Alcohol is so readily accessible elsewhere that an offer on MSE would have little influence.

Choosing to drink massive amounts on a night out then getting in to a fight, abusing family or partner etc  could be described as irresponsible.

Although there is a degree of choice those misusing alcohol due to problem drinking or dependence - it may not be fair to use irresponsible. They may have anxiety or OCD symptoms that they are self-medicating or may have developed dependence after drinking excessively to cope with a trauma or similar. 

Ack you didn’t say they were irresponsible. :-)
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I drink to enjoy what I'm drinking not to get drunk (alcohol free beer standards are definitely on the increase). I also like to try lots of different things so if I can find a way of saving money, all the better.
    Class is also not a sign of wealth you can be deemed middle class by your profession but earn less than someone deemed working class by profession.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • drjohn67 said:
    Agree that alcohol should not be kept out of sight just in case those with problem drinking or dependence are in some way harmed. Alcohol is so readily accessible elsewhere that an offer on MSE would have little influence.

Choosing to drink massive amounts on a night out then getting in to a fight, abusing family or partner etc  could be described as irresponsible.

Although there is a degree of choice those misusing alcohol due to problem drinking or dependence - it may not be fair to use irresponsible. They may have anxiety or OCD symptoms that they are self-medicating or may have developed dependence after drinking excessively to cope with a trauma or similar. 

So you think the majority should be nannied because of the actions of the minority?

• drjohn67
    drjohn67 Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    drjohn67 said:

So you think the majority should be nannied because of the actions of the minority?

Not at all. Read my first line. 

Just trying to influence the use of language around alcohol misuse. Some will be irresponsible through choice whereas others will be misusing with a degree of impairment due to their condition.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback