We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Single Mum - Struggling to get realistic SOA

Options

Comments

• MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    MikeJXE said:

I agree with you not cutting your daughter out of the little she has, My granddaughters would lynch me if I suggested anything like that.

The mobile of hers is easy to cut down on. Does she have any idea how much data she actually uses ? Her provider would tell you BTW pictures cost nothing on WhatsApp with wifi 
    This is what EE shows for her phone. And I was mistaken about the picture messages. They were from my phone, not hers. :o

So normally she uses close to her limit, why is that if she doesn't go out much ? Does she have it set on 4g instead of wifi ? My son does car transport across Europe and is on 4g most or the time and only has 100gb 
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    I would advise against going through the switching process as a new bank will credit score you so you are likely to be turned down. Some of the new digital banks only do a soft credit check though so they may be worth trying.  Monzo, Revolut or Starling may be worth looking into. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Pre_Approved_Junkie
    Options
    MikeJXE said:
    MikeJXE said:

I agree with you not cutting your daughter out of the little she has, My granddaughters would lynch me if I suggested anything like that.

The mobile of hers is easy to cut down on. Does she have any idea how much data she actually uses ? Her provider would tell you BTW pictures cost nothing on WhatsApp with wifi 
    This is what EE shows for her phone. And I was mistaken about the picture messages. They were from my phone, not hers. :o

So normally she uses close to her limit, why is that if she doesn't go out much ? Does she have it set on 4g instead of wifi ? My son does car transport across Europe and is on 4g most or the time and only has 100gb 

No Mike, it's saying the opposite of that. In Oct she only used 6.47 out of the 100, and Dec and Nov she only used 2.6 GB out of the 100. She doesn't need unlimited plan at all. I've been such a fool. :'(
  • Pre_Approved_Junkie
    Options
    I would advise against going through the switching process as a new bank will credit score you so you are likely to be turned down. Some of the new digital banks only do a soft credit check though so they may be worth trying.  Monzo, Revolut or Starling may be worth looking into. 

I do have 2 other basic bank accounts, one with Lloyds and one with Barclays, neither of which I have debts with, so I may as well just swap to one of them, it will save the hassle of switching or downgrading. :)
  • Sarahwithlove
    Options
    Most people assume they use more than they do in all honesty. All I can suggest is ringing up EE and see if they will do anything. Or who are you with? As with EE you can gift data so maybe get yourself a sim only plan with as little data as possible and gift yourself some of hers 
    *Dad loan - £5300 - £1700
    *Virgin Credit Card - £3552.50 - £0
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

*Sinking Fund - £2000/£3000*
    *Emergency Fund -£50/£2000

*Debt Repayments Pot - £0/0*

New diary- https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6474943/the-three-cs-coffee-clothes-credit-cards/
  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 1,188 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 1 February 2023 at 11:11PM
    Options
    No!!!!! For this month it shows amount left, but for completed months it shiws amount used. You are paying for far too much data. She has an allowance of 100gb a month, but rarely uses more than 3gb. It looks as though the contract is quite recent though so will probably be costly to end. Could be worth a try calling ee to haggle down to a cheaper deal, that might work for them if it means restarting the length of contract. Did the phone cone as part of the contract? If so a large chunk of the monthly cost will be paying for the 'free' phone.
  • MikeJXE
    Options
    MikeJXE said:
    MikeJXE said:

No Mike, it's saying the opposite of that. In Oct she only used 6.47 out of the 100, and Dec and Nov she only used 2.6 GB out of the 100. She doesn't need unlimited plan at all. I've been such a fool. :'(
    Lol thats how I read it when I first looked at it, no idea when I went the opposite way it must be near bed time 

Get on to her provider and they will put her on a lower tariff with no loss to her 
  • MikeJXE
    Options
    Also have a limit warning text if she is about to go over 
  • Pre_Approved_Junkie
    Options
    No!!!!! You are paying for far too much data. She has an allowance of 100gb a month, but rarely uses more than 3gb. It looks as though the contract is quite recent though so will probably be costly to end. Could be worth a try calling ee to haggle down to a cheaper deal, that might work for them if it means restarting the length of contract. Did the phone cone as part of the contract? If so a large chunk of the monthly cost will be paying for the 'free' phone.

Yeah, I'm paying for her phone as well. She had smashed hers by accident, so I got his one as an extra line on my account. The contract was for 2 years.

• Pre_Approved_Junkie
    Options
    Most people assume they use more than they do in all honesty. All I can suggest is ringing up EE and see if they will do anything. Or who are you with? As with EE you can gift data so maybe get yourself a sim only plan with as little data as possible and gift yourself some of hers 

I'll be onto them tomorrow sarah. I've just had my eyes opened this evening. I've been so blind.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback