We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Guide discussion: Grandparents childcare credit

Options

Comments

• Singh23
    Singh23 Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Singh23 said:
    Grandparent is eligible for their pension in Feb 2024. Grandchild born in Mar 2023.

Considering you cannot even yet make a claim for the recently ended tax year 2022/23 and it is nearly June, what is the process for getting the credits in time for pension eligibility date?
    I'm not sure there is much point in claiming in the circumstances you describe.

If the grandchild was only born in March 2023 then the grandparent is only going to be able to claim for a few weeks in the 2022-23 tax year at most, and then only if the parent claiming the Child Benefit returned to work for those weeks immediately after the birth (as the credits are those that would have gone to the parent from the Child benefit but are not needed because the parent is working).  

And as the grandparent reaches State Pension Age in the 2023-24 tax year then any credits claimed for the 2023-24 will not count towards their state pension eligibility (as  the year in which you reach State Pension Age is excluded from the calculation).   . 

Thank you for the information. Can you give NI credits to a grandparent if the person claiming child benefit (ie. birth mother) is on statutory maternity leave? I was hoping to pass the credit on
  • foofightin
    foofightin Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all.

I suspect this may be a question for the helpline. Has anyone had experience of claiming for more than one child? Our 3 kids were looked after by grandparents consecutively. Do I need to do a form for each child, for the relevant periods?

Thanks!
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,278 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 June 2023 at 8:15PM
    Options
    Yes, a separate form needs completing for each child. On the claim form it states
    If you were caring for more than one child under 12 you only need to enter details for one child. If you
    cared for another child for different period(s) please complete a separate form for each child.

But it doesn't really matter which child you claim for until child 1 reaches 12 then you need to claim for child 2 or 3.

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Forgive me if this has already been mentioned (didn't fancy ploughing through all four pages!) but it makes helpful reading: https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pensions/article-12173995/Help-HMRC-delayed-updating-state-pension-record-ups.html 
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Vadill01
    Options
    I submitted a CF411A Form for Specified Adult Child Credits in April this year for 2018-2022.  I receive my state pension in November of this year.  Having heard nothing about my application I phoned HMRC this week to be told there is a 42 week backlog, they are presently dealing with August 2022 applications.  My questions are:
    1. Is there anything Marin Lewis can do to put pressure on the government to provide more resources to speed up the process.
    2. I have a shortfall in my national insurance contributions, can anything be done to get HMRC to calculate that shortfall based on a successful claim i.e. I will still not have a full pension but dont know the exact amount until they process my application.  I would like to be able to do this to ensure in November I have maximised my contributions.  
    3.  If I cannot receive a clear calculation by November and I buy credits based on an unsuccessful claim, is there any way that Martin Lewis can push to put in place a policy of refunds from HMRC given that I understood from my phone call they will not refund any overpayments.  I consider I applied in reasonable time and I should not be penalised.  I am claiming for 3.5 years of back credits, so to me it would be a substantial amount of money to lose.
    4. Can there be any pressure brought to bear that any additional voluntary contributions purchased can be treated as if bought at the date of retirement rather than when my claim is finally processed, given the unreasonable turnaround time.

• juliedee4663
    juliedee4663 Posts: 260 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am in the same situation, applied in November 2022 and heard absolutely nothing.  This is absolutely ridiculous.
  • freddy99
    Options
    Just been checking up on the status of my claim. Sent in March 2023 and they confirm they have received it, but not yet processed.  I asked how long and was told it is currently 300 days! That's 10 months.  This is really bad, especially as I applied for it before I got my pension, which is  currently a lot less that the full state pension.  Wonder if those paying for additional voluntary contributions have to wait as long, or does money talk?
  • Cevets
    Cevets Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    My wife submitted her Claim Form in March 2023. Since then we have heard nothing. Finally managed to get through on the Helpline yesterday. The advisor confirmed, after speaking to the security team, that her Form had been received and was currently in the queue for processing. Based on the current backlog, the forecast date for determining whether the claim would be accepted was 13 May 2024 ????

Absolutely unbelievable. How can any Government department get into this situation?
  • relishy57
    relishy57 Posts: 73 Forumite
    Options
    I get my state pension next month. I have 2 years of specified adult care to claim for. One is like the above cases for 2021-2022 in the very long pipeline and the other cannot be claimed until October 23 for 2022-2023. I cannot claim for 2023-2024 I(April to August 23) I understand? 
    Will these years be backdated once added? My forecast if I contribute missing years states I will get the full state pension. These 2 will add to my total but others are pre 2016  and won’t. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback