We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Guide discussion: Grandparents childcare credit

Options
2456

Comments

  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,278 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 February 2023 at 3:28PM
    Options
    Nanathome said:
    I have this question, if someone can help.

    I reach retirement age at the very end of March 2024.I will be a year short for a full pension.
    To claim SAC credits for 2023/2024 I have to wait until October 2024.

    Will this;
    1) be too late to be added to my record as another qualifying year
    2) if accepted, will my pension payment be increased to reflect the extra year's contribution
    3) and the difference backdated?

    I only have until this April to buy extra years at the rate stated.
    Thank you.

    1) Yes but not because of the date of claiming.
    With an SP age of March 2024, in the 23-24 tax, year any contributions / credits from the 23-24 tax year will not count. Any credits must be from before 6 April 2023.

  • dc19
    Options
    I have claimed grandparents childcare credit for past couple of years. Latest claim form for tax year 21/22 was input early November 22 and estimated completion date by HMRC stated end November. Still awaiting completion. Previous years were dealt with a lot quicker. Seems there are exceptionally long delays at HMRC this year. 
  • Nanathome
    Options
    molerat said:
    Nanathome said:
    I have this question, if someone can help.

    I reach retirement age at the very end of March 2024.I will be a year short for a full pension.
    To claim SAC credits for 2023/2024 I have to wait until October 2024.

    Will this;
    1) be too late to be added to my record as another qualifying year
    2) if accepted, will my pension payment be increased to reflect the extra year's contribution
    3) and the difference backdated?

    I only have until this April to buy extra years at the rate stated.
    Thank you.

    1) Yes but not because of the date of claiming.
    With an SP age of March 2024, in the 23-24 tax, year any contributions / credits from the 23-24 tax year will not count. Any credits must be from before 6 April 2023.

    Thanks Molerat, Can't believe I have missed out for the sake of a few days when I will have looked after the little one all year and it will then cost over £800 for a voluntary contribution. Thanks for your advice.
  • Cevets
    Options
    My Wife is looking at claiming Grandparents Childcare Credit for our Grandson who was born in 2011. At the time she was already looking after his older sister who was born in 2008 for 3 - 4 days a week to enable our daughter to continue working full time.

    As my wife couldn't work due to looking after the grandchildren she does not have any NI Contributions from 2008 onwards. She is currently 12 years short of the 35 years required to receive a full State Pension and her current forecast is £132.24 per week in March 2025, provided she makes voluntary contributions for the next couple of years through to reaching 66.

    She is looking to claim the Grandparents Childcare Credit for our Grandson from 2012 to 2022. I have completed the relevant HMRC Form CA9176 but have not yet submitted it as there is one issue I would like to clarify.
    • My daughter has full year NI Credits for all years from the age of 16 to current date. If my wife's claim is successful, will the 10 years of Grandparent Credits be deducted from my Daughters NI contribution record or is it treat as a completely separate issue
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,278 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 February 2023 at 3:40PM
    Options
    Cevets said:
    My Wife is looking at claiming Grandparents Childcare Credit for our Grandson who was born in 2011. At the time she was already looking after his older sister who was born in 2008 for 3 - 4 days a week to enable our daughter to continue working full time.

    As my wife couldn't work due to looking after the grandchildren she does not have any NI Contributions from 2008 onwards. She is currently 12 years short of the 35 years required to receive a full State Pension and her current forecast is £132.24 per week in March 2025, provided she makes voluntary contributions for the next couple of years through to reaching 66.

    She is looking to claim the Grandparents Childcare Credit for our Grandson from 2012 to 2022. I have completed the relevant HMRC Form CA9176 but have not yet submitted it as there is one issue I would like to clarify.
    • My daughter has full year NI Credits for all years from the age of 16 to current date. If my wife's claim is successful, will the 10 years of Grandparent Credits be deducted from my Daughters NI contribution record or is it treat as a completely separate issue
    The transferable credits are from receiving child benefit, her record should show that she has both credits and paid NI amounts from working.  If she has been working full time then no problem but if she has a patchy work history then she would need to confirm the situation with HMRC.  Your wife's forecast will show exactly what she can achieve, 35 years is not really relevant to post 2016 retirement.

  • evsue
    evsue Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dc19 said:
    I have claimed grandparents childcare credit for past couple of years. Latest claim form for tax year 21/22 was input early November 22 and estimated completion date by HMRC stated end November. Still awaiting completion. Previous years were dealt with a lot quicker. Seems there are exceptionally long delays at HMRC this year. 
    I also submitted my claim at the beginning of November 22 and have not yet had any response.  Previous year  I had a reply by December 21.
  • gregsy57
    Options
    evsue said:
    dc19 said:
    I have claimed grandparents childcare credit for past couple of years. Latest claim form for tax year 21/22 was input early November 22 and estimated completion date by HMRC stated end November. Still awaiting completion. Previous years were dealt with a lot quicker. Seems there are exceptionally long delays at HMRC this year. 
    I also submitted my claim at the beginning of November 22 and have not yet had any response.  Previous year  I had a reply by December 21.
    Same here. Sent my claim for tax year 21/22 end of October 22 and still waiting for the NI credit. Due to get my state pension at the end of April this year so hope the credit is applied before then as it will affect how much state pension I'll get. I believe it'll be backdated when the credit is eventually applied.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,778 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I retired  early in 2017 with 43 years of full contributions and I claimed childcare credits for looking after my granddaughters for 2018-2019 which was straightforward.  I now have 44 full years of contributions.  The other grandmother also claimed childcare credits as she was also doing some childcare for the following 3 years as she is older than me and her state pension pays out this year whereas mine does not pay out until February 2026.  As I understand it I have 3 years to make up so my daughter says I should claim for 2022-2023, 2023-2024 and 2024-2025. 

    My forecast says based on my current NI record up to April 2022 I can get £174.37 a week and the maximum is £185.15.  I think therefore I only need apply for 2022-2023 and 2023-2024 as that gives me 46 years full contributions which is more than enough I think?  I have a COPE due to my private pensions but the forecast says that should not affect my state pension?  

    Does anyone know if I need to apply for more than 1 more year of childcare credits? 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,278 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You need 3 years to get to the max, 2 years will leave you 20p short.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,778 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    molerat said:
    You need 3 years to get to the max, 2 years will leave you 20p short.
    Yes I know.  I can do without the 20p  ;)

    After checking with my daughter and her MIL today it turns out there is a year 2020-2021 where  neither of us claimed the credits and as DDs MIL now has full pension which will be paid out this year she has suggested I take that year and 2022-2023 and if I want the 20p I can claim for 2023-2024 as well. I have filled out the form today for 2020-2021 and just need DD to sign it and will do the 2022-2023 one in October. Happy days. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards