We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Guide discussion: Grandparents childcare credit

Options
12346»

Comments

  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the Parent or main carer is working, will this affect their child benefit allowance in any way please? 
    Can you clarify what you mean by "child benefit allowance" ?

  • mitulh
    mitulh Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    I am a grandparent and have gaps in my National Insurance Record. I have been looking after my daughers' children for the past 15 years. If my daughter transfers her NI Credits to me, what impact will that have to her? for example her NI record or State Pension?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 May at 2:46PM
    Options
    mitulh said:
    I am a grandparent and have gaps in my National Insurance Record. I have been looking after my daughers' children for the past 15 years. If my daughter transfers her NI Credits to me, what impact will that have to her? for example her NI record or State Pension?
    No effect as she can only transfer the credits to you if is she was receiving them in addition to NI earned whist working (or maybe from other benefits but not 100% on that one)

  • engeeaitch
    engeeaitch Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options

    I reach State Pension Age in July 2025.  I will be one year short, but eligible to claim for SAC credits for the year ending April 2025.  But I can’t claim until 31 October 2025 and HMRC will then likely take months to process this.  Will my State Pension be backdated?  to November 2025?  or July 2025?  Is there an official source for this anywhere that I can point out to them?

     

    Thanks


  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

    I reach State Pension Age in July 2025.  I will be one year short, but eligible to claim for SAC credits for the year ending April 2025.  But I can’t claim until 31 October 2025 and HMRC will then likely take months to process this.  Will my State Pension be backdated?  to November 2025?  or July 2025?  Is there an official source for this anywhere that I can point out to them?

     

    Thanks


    An interesting question that has come up a few times and I don't think there has ever been an answer  Generally SP is only ever backdated to the date of application / payment

  • relishy57
    relishy57 Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 May at 7:31PM
    Options
    My first year 22-23 after reaching state pension year was backdated. My final year 23 -24  is still being processed so no indication yet of when it will run from. Form sent in October 23. I reached SPA in August 23.  All delays at DWP end.m
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    relishy57 said:
    My first year 22-23 after reaching state pension year was backdated. My final year 23 -24  is still being processed so no indication yet of when it will run from. Form sent in October 23. I reached SPA in August 23.  All delays at DWP end.m
    If you reached SPA in August 23 you cannot benefit from 23-24, you can only use years up to the year before you reach retirement.

  • relishy57
    relishy57 Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 May at 7:49PM
    Options
    molerat said:
    relishy57 said:
    My first year 22-23 after reaching state pension year was backdated. My final year 23 -24  is still being processed so no indication yet of when it will run from. Form sent in October 23. I reached SPA in August 23.  All delays at DWP end.m
    If you reached SPA in August 23 you cannot benefit from 23-24, you can only use years up to the year before you reach retirement.

    Sorry yes,I meant the year 22-23. Its because you can’t claim until the October of the next tax year. I had to wait many months for 21-22 to be added. Just checked DWP check your pension forecast and it still says “in progress” under jobs. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards