Lending money to Husband’s customer

Options
2»

Comments

• TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    She won't have to pay the agents until the house sale completes, and surveys are normally done by (for) the buyer (Scotland is different, I think, but assuming you are in England) 

Things like council tax / utilities - it's very common for there not to be any spare cash until probate is granted or a property sold, so encouraging her to speak to the relevant companies and explain the situation is the way to go - most will have a bereavement team - given that a property can't normally be sold until probate is granted, and probate takes time, it's pretty common for the to be months and months before any actual money is available -utilities companies will wait because they don't have any option, it's the estate, not the relatives, who owe them money, and they know it. They will typically send chasers periodically which if you aren't used to it could be upsetting, but normally all it needs is to contact them with an update on where you are up to with the probate and sale, and they will settle down again! 

She might have to pay up front to clear the house although sometimes that can be done on the basis that the clearance co does it and sells on anything saleable, and doesn't charge the home owner. If that's not an option, then maybe waiting until the sale is agreed, then get the house cleared between ehange a nd compltion - at that point, she can probably arange it on the basis of payment 

Something doesn't add up. It may be that she hasn't understood correctly and that support with contacting the relevant organisations would be the way to go.

If she's mentioned church, then maybe suggest / encourage her to talk to her vicar - they wont be able to lend her money but they might be able to offer her some support in terms of dealing with the feelings of grief and being overwhelmed, nd may be able to support her in accessing some help with writing letters / making phone calls 

But in your place, I would be saying to your husband that you can't afford to risk it and are not comfortable lending such as bit amount (and £1,000 is a lot of money if you only have a couple of thousand in savings)

Equally it is possible that there is some kind of scam. - age is not a guarantee of probity, but I don't think the advice changes - offer her a nice cup of tea and a sympathetic ear, encourage her to talk to the bereavement teams for anyone owed money by the estate and reassure her that they will be used to waiting in probate cases, and encourage her to speak to her church / point her to CAB if she need more advice. I think the approach to take is 'I wish I could help but unfortunately it's just not possible' 

All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Just to add, it may be helpful for you to have a conversation with your husband ask him what he would see the solution being if things didn't work out - for instance, if it turns out that her issues are in part due to her being bad with money and she can't pay back, or she dithers and the house takes years to sell and she can't pay back. 

He wants to help a person he feels sorry for, but he isn't considering the negative impact on his own family if things don't work out right.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • The_Unready
    Options
    Hmmm - looks like this one is going on the 'ignore' list then!
  • Dave_5150
    Dave_5150 Posts: 251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 February 2023 at 4:50PM
    Options
    None of those bills needed to be paid until after the house was sold when I dealt with my parents estate last year.

Council Tax wasn't payable, all the utility companies just said to pay after the sale, house insurance was switched to an executor policy at no additional cost. Estate agents and conveyancing were paid from the house sale as you would expect.

I'd be sharing that information with the lady concerned and asking why things are so different for her.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback