Used car from main dealership missold

1235»

Comments

• diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi
    As posters are talking about "extras on cars"  I seriously miss the heated screen that i I had in my brand new st v6 ondeoa got new over 20 years ago and i ordered side airbags as well which was rare

Not 100% sure why only Ford and Audi do them possibly because of licensing?

The heater in the front screen was magic in frost and rain

Thnaks

It's not only Ford and Audi that have them. 

@diystarter7
    I understand that Mercedes offer the heated windscreen also - very surprised the poster was not aware of that.

Amongst many other premium brands that offer the feature - Range Rover, Jaguar, Volvo, Skoda. 

My Nephew just got an Octavia and I think the heated windscreen was the only option he selected - it was a "pack" with Heated Steering Wheel also.
    Hi

Please accept you know little about Mercedes cars. Unless its changed over the last 2 years which I doubt Mercedes do not offer heated screen in their cars and a 100% not in the car I have
    My car is a fraction under two years old a GLS. The previous car was a gLE. Both times I asked and the answer was "sorry, we don't...."

You and the others are talking about vans, NOT cars. 

:)
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,740
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 13 February 2023 at 8:41PM
    For anyone that is interested, this Mercedes car (which does look rather like a van), the model GLS, includes heated windscreen if you ask:
    https://tools.mercedes-benz.co.uk/current/passenger-cars/e-brochures/gls.pdf

So does the Skoda Octavia:
    https://www.skoda.co.uk/_doc/0bcfc2d5-654f-49b2-a524-91e141293e36

• diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Not when I ordered the car, built to order over two years ago  as stated by me 
  • Grumpy_chap
    Forumite
    Not when I ordered the car, built to order over two years ago  as stated by me 
    Fortunately, you will be able to get all the latest features when you next upgrade, which can't be far away.
    Or buy a 20 yo Ford.
  • Hi
    As posters are talking about "extras on cars"  I seriously miss the heated screen that i I had in my brand new st v6 ondeoa got new over 20 years ago and i ordered side airbags as well which was rare

Thnaks

@diystarter7
    I understand that Mercedes offer the heated windscreen also - very surprised the poster was not aware of that.

Amongst many other premium brands that offer the feature - Range Rover, Jaguar, Volvo, Skoda. 

My Nephew just got an Octavia and I think the heated windscreen was the only option he selected - it was a "pack" with Heated Steering Wheel also.
    Hi

Please accept you know little about Mercedes cars. Unless its changed over the last 2 years which I doubt Mercedes do not offer heated screen in their cars and a 100% not in the car I have
    My car is a fraction under two years old a GLS. The previous car was a gLE. Both times I asked and the answer was "sorry, we don't...."

You and the others are talking about vans, NOT cars. 

Maybe you don't know about Mercedes cars as they do offer a heated screen. 
  • Love the bold, so Mercedes are effectively using Ford windscreens.

Goudy said:
    There was very little Mondeo in an X Type. It's thought only around 20%.

Jaguar took Fords control blade suspension, thought it wasn't good enough and revised it, nothing down there was interchangable. All the control arms, bushing, springs and dampers are different as was the steering rack.

The Duratec engines weren't the same. Jaguar fitted it's own alloy cylinder heads, it's own split forged conrods, camshafts and valvetrain with variable valve timing.
    To be fair, the Duratec wasn't really a Ford engine anyway, it was designed by Porsche who sold it to Ford for Cosworth to finish.

Jaguar even worked on the Duratorq diesel engine to reduce NVH.

What Jaguar actually did is take some parts for a successful model and made them better.

If you think the X Type was a parts bin special, you better compare it to the the DB7.
    It's an old XJS and XK under the frock with Citroen wings mirrors, Scorpio switches, Mazda lights and indicators.
    Most of the other parts were straight from Ford and not from Jaguar, they even used the cheaper Ford 6 blade lock sets rather than the better 8 tumbler Jag ones.

What Aston Martin did is just take parts from whatever was knocking around Fords dustbin.

Hi
    Interesting post, thanks

About parts from Ford's onto the cars tagged as Jaguar. I recal the time I had a st mondeo and we were parking up at an event possibly arounf 98/99-ish a wedding venue - chap walked across from his black XJ jag and was quite unploite and asked for my key. I said why then he said that he has locked its keys in the boot, as he was a bit rude i lol and said "But as you can see my car is a Ford"  - that is when I learned that the key on this car and locks were all Ford mondeo stuff, lol. That really put me off the marque and tunred to MB for my next cars, main cars

Thnaks

• Grumpy_chap
    Forumite
    Love the bold, so Mercedes are effectively using Ford windscreens.
    That's actually more true than some might realise.
    The very reason that the heated windscreen is not more widely available is because it was a Ford product development for which Ford hold the patent.
    The feature cascaded to various other brands that Ford owned at some point (Jaguar, Land Rover, Volvo, Aston Martin, etc).  Those brands seem to retain access as part of the divestment agreement.
    Brands without such association need to pay some kind of licence fee to offer the heated windscreen - the appetite to make the payment seems to vary so VAG are quite happy to offer the heated windscreen option quite widely, whereas some other brands (including MB) seem less willing though do offer the feature, then there are brands that simply do not engage at all in the licence for the feature.
    I really like my heated windscreen and would always choose it again if available but, ultimately, I suspect I would not walk away if another car was good in all other respects.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,350
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    Love the bold, so Mercedes are effectively using Ford windscreens.
    That's actually more true than some might realise.
    The very reason that the heated windscreen is not more widely available is because it was a Ford product development for which Ford hold the patent.
    The feature cascaded to various other brands that Ford owned at some point (Jaguar, Land Rover, Volvo, Aston Martin, etc).  Those brands seem to retain access as part of the divestment agreement.
    Brands without such association need to pay some kind of licence fee to offer the heated windscreen - the appetite to make the payment seems to vary so VAG are quite happy to offer the heated windscreen option quite widely, whereas some other brands (including MB) seem less willing though do offer the feature, then there are brands that simply do not engage at all in the licence for the feature.
    I really like my heated windscreen and would always choose it again if available but, ultimately, I suspect I would not walk away if another car was good in all other respects.
    What?!?!?!

Are you suggesting diystarter7 actually got something right when they said it might have been a licensing issue?
    I believe that Ford's patent/licensing rights for the heated windscreen expired a good few years ago. 
    Google suggests Fords patent ran out in 2011
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,086
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi

Thnaks

@diystarter7

Realise this isn't on-topic but interesting discussion.

Do you really think that Skoda (or in fact Škoda as they've always been, but only now seem intent on insisting on) are a premium brand?  I'll grant you that under VW their quality has improved but I can't think of them as premium. Same with VW. 

Fun fact is that Škoda means shame or damage in Slavic tongues.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Forumite
    photome said:
    I believe that Ford's patent/licensing rights for the heated windscreen expired a good few years ago. 
    Google suggests Fords patent ran out in 2011
    I am not an expert on patents, but an internet search and the first result indicates that a patent is usually valid for 20 years.

IIRC, Ford advertised the quickclear windscreen all the way back on the Sierra, so that was mid-1980's.  2011 is much more than 20 years after the Sierra.  Maybe a patent can be extended.  I can only imagine that Ford somehow still have licensing rights / control as, if that were no longer the case, we can imagine that the heated windscreen would be close to universally available and that is far from the situation.

I do wonder why no-one has expanded the heated windscreen concept to also include side windows?  It would seem entirely logical to do so.  Perhaps difficult because the side windows move and the power would need to be through some kind of durable contact / plug that can allow the windows to open and close but always ensure contact is made when the window is closed and not wear.

robatwork said:

Do you really think that Skoda (or in fact Škoda as they've always been, but only now seem intent on insisting on) are a premium brand?  I'll grant you that under VW their quality has improved but I can't think of them as premium. Same with VW. 
    Not really a premium brand but, having seen the latest Skodas, they seem better than the equivalent VWs and also better than the entry level equivalent Audis.  I'd rather have a £30k Octavia than the equivalent Golf or A4.  It must be a challenge for the VAG group that they made the Skoda cars so good that the other brands may suffer as a result, specifically Seat seem to have no place to be.  That said, the price gap has really narrowed so maybe the marketing has worked and people buy the Skoda believing they are getting a value-bargain where that is not the case.
    The Octavia today is from £24k while the Golf is from £26k.  IMO, the Octavia is the better looking.
    I am not sure what "actual" prices would be on either model if seeking best discount.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback