Used car from main dealership missold

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Exodi said:
    macman said:
    It may be a factory-fitted option that they are not able to install, or it might breach your warranty if they did.
    ... One of my colleagues recently bought a BMW from a dealership. After purchase he noticed it didn't show the current road speed on the speedometer...

Have I misunderstood you?  Is that legal?
    In many cars this is something that can be turned on & off either via the dash display or the sat nav.

Perhaps a read of the handbook, of check out some BMW forums.
    Life in the slow lane
  • "Not having auto high beams is a little bit of a hassle."

Why? Is it a hassle to flick a switch between high and dipped beams as required?
    Also, from some instances, the function doesn't work all the time much to the inconvenience of on coming drivers.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,505 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Amazing Porsche owners are prepared to pay extra for a feature which is standard fit on a 7 year old £10k Yaris.

• diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202 Forumite
    daveyjp said:
    Amazing Porsche owners are prepared to pay extra for a feature which is standard fit on a 7 year old £10k Yaris.

Hi

You are talking about the auto dim high beam?

I've never used mine as the LEDS lights are really good on our GLS

Thanks
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,232 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    "Not having auto high beams is a little bit of a hassle." Why? Is it a hassle to flick a switch between high and dipped beams as required?
    In certain cases, yes, it is a hassle.
    There's a long winding stretch of unlit country road between the nearest town and my village and sod's law dictates that on numerous occasions I'll be negotiating an s-bend at speed just as approaching headlights first become visible. Auto-dimming headlights would be both more convenient and safer in such cases.

Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,041 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Basically no auto high beam, in short.
    A few years ago I bought a brand new Range Rover and specified the auto-high-beam; six months later the car was built and delivered only to discover the dealer had forgotten to add the auto-high-beam. :(
    Like you I was told take it or leave it and begrudgingly accepted it as was rather than wait another six months - I must admit there have been times when I've wished I'd rejected it and waited for the proper spec...

Hi

I'm staggered. Did you not build together the exact spec and did you not get a print out?

When we have ordered cars, cars worth a lot more than the average price, we've got a print out to ensure all is there.
    If they can't do something by the time its going to build, I would have safely assumed they would have advised us.

Thanks
    We wanted  a specific item on our new car. the salesman insisted it was available on one spec of the car, although it was not stated in the brochure. It was only shown for the next spec up.

WE ordered the lower spec one with the item added as the next spec had items  we were not fussed about 

When the car arrived it did not have the item. 

Apparently the factory did not add the item as it was not spec but did not tell anybody.  They just sent the standard car.

My husband refused the car , much to the dismay of the manager.

We did order the next spec up to get what we wanted.
  • diystarter7
    diystarter7 Posts: 5,202 Forumite
    sheramber said:
    Basically no auto high beam, in short.
    A few years ago I bought a brand new Range Rover and specified the auto-high-beam; six months later the car was built and delivered only to discover the dealer had forgotten to add the auto-high-beam. :(
    Like you I was told take it or leave it and begrudgingly accepted it as was rather than wait another six months - I must admit there have been times when I've wished I'd rejected it and waited for the proper spec...

Hi

I'm staggered. Did you not build together the exact spec and did you not get a print out?

When we have ordered cars, cars worth a lot more than the average price, we've got a print out to ensure all is there.
    If they can't do something by the time its going to build, I would have safely assumed they would have advised us.

Thanks
    We wanted  a specific item on our new car. the salesman insisted it was available on one spec of the car, although it was not stated in the brochure. It was only shown for the next spec up.

WE ordered the lower spec one with the item added as the next spec had items  we were not fussed about 

When the car arrived it did not have the item. 

Apparently the factory did not add the item as it was not spec but did not tell anybody.  They just sent the standard car.

My husband refused the car , much to the dismay of the manager.

We did order the next spec up to get what we wanted.
    Thanks
    We were lucky and the car took 5 months to build and that was a first for us as we often get the very quickly;y as i stock, or pre-reg in stock

I often want the new car the same day or close but 5 months, too long and never again

Thanks
  • Korkyb
    Korkyb Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 12 February 2023 at 3:29PM
    "Not having auto high beams is a little bit of a hassle."

Why? Is it a hassle to flick a switch between high and dipped beams as required?
    Also, from some instances, the function doesn't work all the time much to the inconvenience of on coming drivers.

Their usefulness really depend on the roads you drive on.

I've found that on single track country roads they can be really useful - they are no use at all on busy roads / town / motorways.

I live in a "relatively" rural part of Scotland (mainly rural single track roads) & when driving at night my main beam is up & down like a yoyo.

My previous car had the feature and my current car doesn't.

My next car will definitely have it.
    Was it really "everybody" that was Kung Fu fighting ???
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    It's weird how features 20 years ago would have been dismissed as mere fripperies have now become must-haves.

For me it's a heating steering wheel. My hands get cold apart from in the height of summer, and since getting this in a car maybe 10 years ago, I wouldn't buy without now.

I do have a tale similar to OP. My current car was ordered new a few years ago with a certain dual colour interior. It arrived with a single colour. Just shows how car salesmen can't even submit a simple form properly. They offered a re-order to my spec, or accept it and get 3 years servicing. I decided to accept it with the servicing and don't regret it - the re-order would have taken 3-6 months and I was excited. If it had been the HSW I would have rejected. 
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,232 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    robatwork said:
    For me it's a heating steering wheel. My hands get cold apart from in the height of summer, and since getting this in a car maybe 10 years ago, I wouldn't buy without now.
    A fun fact is that when I bought a new top of the range Lexus LS some ten or so years ago it came with every bell and whistle you could imagine as standard (auto-cruise control, auto-steering, pre-collision system, auto-parking etc.) and the only optional extra available was bizarrely a heated steering wheel!
    What made it stranger still was that the optional extra was only a few hundred quid more (from memory) on a car costing £60k. I never really understood why they didn't just include it as standard given the LS was marketed as a luxury car that had everything.
    Like you, there were times in winter I was very pleased with myself for opting for that extra option. :)

Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure