Tesco Mobile Contract - Paid in Full for Iphone

Comments

• HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 25 January 2023 at 12:20AM
    I can't comment on an O2  and not read their T&Cs and also up to O2 how they deal with customers if they don't fulfil the contract.

If it had been a few customers I doubt Tesco would have done anything, but being on HDUK  then their liabilities increase.
    Someone at Tesco must have found out what has been going on and are trying to get some money back.

I read some comments on HDUK  and if  you have paid just one month of the usage contract I can not see how Tesco can claim any money back, as they have fulfilled the terms as you have take out the two contracts and as the usage one is a rolling one, can cancel with only one months use.
    But anyone that cancelled in cooling off needed to return phone as the contracts were linked, as by cancelling one, cancelled the other.

But that's just my view and I would still be trying to get phone at the Clubcard price, but if Tesco threatened court action then I would either return phone or pay the extra asked ( would also ask if they would take less).

Let's Be Careful Out There
  • bignred05
    bignred05 Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You only have to see the number of comments/posts today to see the size of the issue.

• MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    bignred05 said:
    You only have to see the number of comments/posts today to see the size of the issue.

Someone has dropped a clanger lol 
  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You say they never asked you to return the phone, but did you ever tell them that you wanted to return it?
    They could have told you that by refunding the £11.50 for the sim they would be adjusting the cost for the handset but presumably it was clear at the point of sale that there were two prices for the handset. one with a contract and one without? That would seem to be the reason for you taking out the airtime contract in the first place.
    It would be rather like a sign "apples half price when you buy bananas". You want the apples so you get the bananas too, then you take the bananas back and expect to keep the half price apples?

Tesco have quoted you the 'advertised'? prce for the handset minus the promotional price you paid for the handset and a one month contract, so that would seem to be correct.

• OP - did you end up paying the £11.50 for one month's usage of the SIM, or did that payment never happen? If not, I would suggest going back to Tesco with an offer of £11.50 in full and final settlement, to meet the terms of their original offer. If they reject that, then allow them to take you to small claims court. Their wording is very clear, and the payment of one month on the SIM (which per their terms could then be cancelled) would mean they have no claim against you re the handset.
  • Robbo66
    Robbo66 Posts: 483 Forumite
    Had you paid the full price, not discounted, then they most probably wouldn't be asking for the return of the phone. You got the discount by agreeing to a service contract as well and somewhere in the T&Cs that relate to this deal will be something about a minimum term. 
  • bignred05
    You say they never asked you to return the phone, but did you ever tell them that you wanted to return it?
    They could have told you that by refunding the £11.50 for the sim they would be adjusting the cost for the handset but presumably it was clear at the point of sale that there were two prices for the handset. one with a contract and one without? That would seem to be the reason for you taking out the airtime contract in the first place.
    It would be rather like a sign "apples half price when you buy bananas". You want the apples so you get the bananas too, then you take the bananas back and expect to keep the half price apples?

Tesco have quoted you the 'advertised'? prce for the handset minus the promotional price you paid for the handset and a one month contract, so that would seem to be correct.

When I cancelled the sim part of the deal.

I told the call advisor that I had paid for the phone in full as such I only want to cancel the sim only.
    the call advisor clearly stated as I had paid for the phone in full I do not need to return it though.
    she also stated I would receive the refund for the cancelled sim within 14 days.
    I followed this up and have a web chat stating payment set for the 23 Dec (that never happened though)

I have requested Tesco to listen to the call, yet they appear to have ignored this request.

if I bought a Turkey prior to Christmas on a Clubcard promotion price, then had to return it after Christmas
    would I get the Clubcard price refunded or the full the price, we both know the answer here.
  • bignred05
    OP - did you end up paying the £11.50 for one month's usage of the SIM, or did that payment never happen? If not, I would suggest going back to Tesco with an offer of £11.50 in full and final settlement, to meet the terms of their original offer. If they reject that, then allow them to take you to small claims court. Their wording is very clear, and the payment of one month on the SIM (which per their terms could then be cancelled) would mean they have no claim against you re the handset.
    I originally paid 
    £558.00 (Iphone)
    £11.50 (sim only
    Total £568.50

I requested to cancel the sim 3 days into the 14 day cooling off period.

to date I have NOT had the £11.50 refunded 

** Update, the latest posts on HUKD are showing some have now had their charges cancelled now (with proof)
    although some are stating they cancelled after the cooling off period 
  • The turkey analogy is a daft one, we both know that.

You appear to want people to side with you, rather than advising on the potential merits to Tesco's approach and where you might come unstuck, which are all helpful to your argument, by the way. If Tesco pursue this and it does get more formal, these are good arguments to rehearse.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,424 Forumite
    bignred05 said:

When I cancelled the sim part of the deal.

I told the call advisor that I had paid for the phone in full as such I only want to cancel the sim only.
    the call advisor clearly stated as I had paid for the phone in full I do not need to return it though.
    she also stated I would receive the refund for the cancelled sim within 14 days.
    I followed this up and have a web chat stating payment set for the 23 Dec (that never happened though)

I have requested Tesco to listen to the call, yet they appear to have ignored this request.

if I bought a Turkey prior to Christmas on a Clubcard promotion price, then had to return it after Christmas
    would I get the Clubcard price refunded or the full the price, we both know the answer here.
    But did you mention this was a deal where you got the phone cheaper due to clubcard price?
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure